A Child's Life Or A Gorilla's?

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Babs Hunt, May 30, 2016.

1. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

http://www.christianpost.com/news/o...fter-gorillas-death-in-cincinnati-zoo-164632/

This weekend a 3 year old boy fell into a Gorilla's habitat at the zoo in Cincinnati and because the gorilla was endangering the boy's life and the Zoo keepers felt immediate action needed to be taken to save the young child, the gorilla was shot and killed. Now people are starting a petition to seek justice for the dead gorilla. And honestly I am sorry the gorilla is dead, but when it comes to having to make a decision between the life of a human being or an animal....there is no decision to make as far as I'm concerned. A human being's life, in this case a young child, always has first priority.

In some ways our World really has lost common sense, not to mention wisdom and discernment too. We allow abortion of babies, but don't you dare harm an animal in any way...even when they are harming a human being! God help us all.

Last edited: May 30, 2016
    Yvonne Smith and Patsy Faye like this.
  2. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

True what you say @Babs Hunt
    I saw the footage on the news - they had no choice in the matter, hope the child recovers from the trauma ..........
    As you say 'common sense' is sadly lacking today

3. Julie Stewart

Julie Stewart Veteran Member
    Registered

I read this story too and, of course, the boy had to be saved. The Zoo explained that a tranquilizing dart may well have taken too long to knock the gorilla out. Happily the boy left hospital unhurt.

But why did he fall into the enclosure? It seems that nobody else has fallen inside in the lifetime of that enclosure. There was a lack of common sense in whoever was caring for that child. Apparently, the child had to climb over something and push his way through some bushes before he got to the edge of the moat. What was his mother doing? This wasn't an action that took the child a second.

Whilst I don't condone people who have said the child's mother should have been shot instead of the gorilla - (how stupid and totally out of proportion) - I do think her (the mother's) comment that "accidents happen" was unnecessarily flippant.

I read today that the Zoo is considering suing the adults who were in charge of the child for the loss of the gorilla because, if anybody is culpable for not noticing what the boy was doing, it has to be the adults who were caring for him. And I agree that the Zoo has the right to take some action.

Yvonne Smith and K E Gordon like this.
  4. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

I think the adults should be sued. It is your responsbility to watch your kids to make sure your kids don't get into harms way. I mean that little boy could have been killed. It is really sad the shooting happened and it had to come to that, but animals are unpredictable, and the child's life had to be saved. I mean what reasonable parent is going to let their kid crawl around under bushes and under enclosures to fall into an animal pit? Kids need parents to stay safe, something the mother in question seems not to notice!

5. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

The boy told his Mother, that he was going in, she said No, you're not. Repeat... When she turned her back to check her other children, he climbed under a barrier. I feel the Zoo was negligent, and failed to protect the visitors and the animals.

Patsy Faye likes this.
  6. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

The zoo was definitely negligent - I bet it never happens again, something will be done now to ensure that

Joe Riley likes this.
  7. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Veteran Member
    Registered

Even as a child, I never liked zoos. There was just something wrong with them. I don't believe wild animals exist for us to stand and look at them. They lived on their own for all the years. The condition many of them are in, are because of people only. And we are supposed to be the intelligent ones.

Most unfortunately, in this case there was no other choice but to shoot the gorilla. There was no time to see how this was going to play out. But it needs to be looked at how this kid got in in the first place which I'm sure is being investigated. I'm glad the kid does not appear to have been seriously injured. This is a tragedy in more ways than one.

After the tragedy of Cecil the Lion, I wanted to do something and donated to a wildcat sanctuary here in the U.S.. With research I donated to that particular one because they are not open to the public.

Patsy Faye likes this.
  8. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Most parents know from experience that even though most of them do their best to watch their children and keep them safe...it only takes a "moment" for their child to get into something, etc. Even the best of parents have had some of those moments, it is not possible to watch your child every minute, not at home, not out in public, and not even at the Zoo. It isn't fair to start blaming the parents or the Zoo for accidents that happen because little children are just being their normal selves and their immature brains cannot fathom the danger they might be in when they take off and "explore" what is interesting to them. No matter how many times you tell a young child not to do something...as long as they have an interest in "finding out" what that thing is all about...they will keep trying to answer that question for themselves. It is not bad parenting, it is not bad children every time something happens because of the normal curiousity of young children. This was an unfortunate incident that ended up with the gorilla dying...but that young child is alive because the people at the Zoo realized who was more important here. No one should be sued in my opinion or blamed for what happened...those parents are feeling guilty enough already that the "moment" they took their eyes of their child he could have been killed. And the Zoo keepers are probably feeling just as guilty that they didn't realize how easily a young child could slip into the gorilla's habitat. I'm sure they loved that gorilla too and hated to have to kill him...but they did the right thing. And instead of playing the blame game...I hope everyone involved figures out how to stop this unfortunate tragedy from ever happening again to child or animal.