8 Glasses Of Water Per Day, Who Says?

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Joy Martin, May 2, 2024.

1. Joy Martin

Joy Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

Many of us have followed this so called rule and could be another piece of fake information out there......Personally I sip water through the day, and some times a full glass now and then..

You Really Don't Need to Drink Eight Glasses of Water Each Day
    https://www.facebook.com/vergescienc...1548564237393/ 2min

Story at-a-glance

The recommendation to drink eight 8-ounce glasses (known as 8x8 for short) of water a day is not scientifically backed

The best way to determine how much water you need is to listen to your body and let thirst be your guide

It’s a myth that waiting to drink until you’re thirsty is too late, because by then you’re already dehydrated; your body’s physiologic thirst mechanism is triggered before you’re dehydrated

https://media.mercola.com/ImageServe...r-myth-pdf.pdf
    _._,_._,_

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I read an article some time ago stating that while the human body might need that amount of water, much of that need is satisfied by the moisture content of the food we eat.

I drink roughly a gallon of water a day. That would be (16) 8 oz glasses. I've always drank a lot of water. I drink little else except a couple of cups of coffee in the AM (adding to my fluid intake.) All that water helps keep my kidneys happy, but since I drink so much of it, I don't retain any (it literally goes right through me), making it easy for me to dehydrate if I'm not careful.

Conversely, as weird as it sounds, people who retain water can sometimes get rid of their water weight by increasing their fluids intake, because once their systems see that water is plentiful, they stop retaining so much.

The color of your pee is a good indicator of whether or not you're getting sufficient fluids. Light yellow-to-clear is the goal.

Ed Wilson and Don Alaska like this.
  3. Joy Martin

Registered

How many trips in 24 hrs to the peepot for you??? My pee is light yellow to clear but the food one eats and drugs counts a lot on the color...

Trips to bathroom during sleep hours have increased as I've aged and my bladder most likely has done some shrunking, like most in the body with age and changes... Drinking more water for me could mean up all night...

Last edited: May 2, 2024
    Mary Stetler and John Brunner like this.
  4. John Brunner

Potty trips have been an issue. Even now that I'm on a catheter, I have to wear a large bag to minimize the trips. It stinks because there are accessories that facilitate holding these bags, but they are made for smaller bags that are 60% of the size of the large ones.

I think that the "nightly trips" thing is not because our bladders shrink, it's because the muscles wear out so we do not completely empty. So even after "finishing," there's a retained amount, thus reducing remaining capacity (I was retaining over 400ml, where our capacity is roughly 1,000 ml.) For men, the incomplete emptying is often due to constrictions downstream so the bladder pressure is insufficient to overcome it (causing us to retain some amount.)

Mary Stetler likes this.
  5. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Ironically, water itself can act as a diuretic as many women who have had children probably know. Edema of pregnancy can be relieved somewhat by increased water intake. Unless you are drinking water to excess water intoxication. Men probably require more water thna women as we tend to sweat more, and the climate in which you live as well as your activity level can affect the amount of water you need. Too much water will flush nutrients, especially electrolytes, out of the body.

Mary Stetler and John Brunner like this.
  6. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Not discussing peeing habits with ya'll. ;)

7. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

I don't tell my body what it needs. It tells me.

Mary Stetler and Tony Nathanson like this.
  8. Joy Martin

Registered

Bottom line here, drink as much or little water as you CHOOSE to. This is one person's comments on it., Dr. Mercola...,

Mary Stetler likes this.
  9. John Brunner

I was concerned about this because my urine is often crystal-clear, but doctors told me that you have to
    "I have a friend who..."

10. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

I have tried drinking eight glasses of water in a day, but it makes me feel dizzy. Of course, I can drink a glass of water now and then, but eight glasses would be too much. It might be a matter of acclimating to it, but since the experience makes me uncomfortable, I've never tried doing that more than one day in a row.

Water dilutes the electrolytes in the blood, which is probably what leads to the dizziness I have experienced. Too much water can be fatal, as has been demonstrated through water-drinking challenges.

My doctor, a couple of doctors ago, told me that I should be drinking at least eight glasses of water a day. I told her that I drink more than eight cups of coffee a day, and sometimes even soda and fruit juice, but she told me that none of those counted. Without appealing to science, I would guess that coffee is pretty close to 98% water, or more, and by nature of the fluids, there is a large percentage of water in soft drinks and juices. But no, I was supposed to drink eight glasses of plain water. I couldn't do it. Water bores me, and it makes me feel dizzy.

Instead, I might drink some water when my urine is darker than a slight yellowish discoloration, but I seldom drink plain water. I'll at least squeeze some lemon into it.

Last edited: May 2, 2024
  11. Tony Nathanson

Tony Nathanson Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

That type of advice is in the same category as:
    You need _______grams of protein per day.
    You need _______grams of carbohydrates at each meal.
    Hydration needs vary with the temperature, activity level & other factors.
    By the way, our closest relatives don't drink water:
    "Unlike most wildlife, mountain gorillas do not drink water because most of their time, they spend feeding on succulent vegetation. This means, they get all the moisture they need from what they eat and morning dew."

12. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Most of those rules are lies, like the food pyramid, then fats are bad, then we don't get enough protein, athletes should load up on carbs, milk--it does a body good...
    I drink an insane amount of coffee--always have. Yes my adrenals have probably committed suicide. But hey.
    I drink a lot more when it is hot out and I sweat or march around like a maniac.
    You can actually die from drinking too much water.

Don Alaska likes this.
  13. Tony Nathanson

Tony Nathanson Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

It has happened.
    https://abcnews.go.com/GMA/jury-rules-radio-station-jennifer-strange-water-drinking/story?id=8970712

A woman who competed in a radio station’s contest to see how much water she could drink without going to the bathroom died of water intoxication, the coroner’s office said Saturday.

Jennifer Strange, 28, was found dead Friday in her suburban Rancho Cordova home hours after taking part in the “Hold Your Wee for a Wii” contest in which KDND 107.9 promised a Nintendo Wii video game system for the winner.

“She said to one of our supervisors that she was on her way home and her head was hurting her real bad,” said Laura Rios, one of Strange’s co-workers at Radiological Associates of Sacramento. “She was crying and that was the last that anyone had heard from her.”

It was not immediately know how much water Strange consumed.

A preliminary investigation found evidence “consistent with a water intoxication death,” said assistant Coroner Ed Smith.

John Geary, vice president and marketing manager for Entercom Sacramento, the station’s owner, said station personnel were stunned when they heard of Strange’s death.

Don Alaska and Mary Stetler like this.