2022 Gardening

Discussion in 'Crops & Gardens' started by Marie Mallery, Feb 11, 2022.

1. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

The internet says they are all in the nightshade family...or at least Devil's Apple, Brugmansia, and some "Moonflowers" (also referred to as devil's weed and hell's bells) are.

Tomatoes, eggplant, potatoes, peppers and tobacco are in the nightshade family.

Don Alaska likes this.
  2. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

We are just beginning to see bare ground....:(

Yvonne Smith and Dwight Ward like this.
  3. Dwight Ward

Dwight Ward Veteran Member
    Registered

josiemaran.jpg

I intend to post pictures of beautiful women for my own pleasure and that of the other guys here. They will have nothing to do with the current topic. This Josie Moran.

We're still having cold nights close to freezing. Some of my starters I put outside are wilted and might be killed The moonflower that had that lovely bloom I posted may be dead. It depends on if they can regrow themselves from healthy roots. I'm paranoid enough to think they might be screwing with our weather to exacerbate the global food shortage.

Still, they can't stop some kind of spring from arriving. Yay !!!

Last edited: Apr 28, 2022
    Don Alaska likes this.
  4. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Uhmmmm... is there any inflation?
    I went to buy my bulk bean seeds and they did not have any in stock. I ended up with a few pkgs of 1/4 lb each. @ $6.78 EACH.
    Then I went to the grocery store where I don't need much. But wanted some fresh fruits and veggies. I stopped and looked at their dry bean selection.
    Question. @$2.49 a lb for great northern beans, would they grow green beans if planted & harvested early? Or is that an irradiated food?

Yvonne Smith and Don Alaska like this.
  5. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

It probably depends on the brand. Some beans that are sold for consumption are older than the seed beans, so you may just be seeing beans from a crop from several years ago. Older beans will get harder are will need to cook longer, and often will not germinate. You can probably buy them online from a reputable seeds company. I don't know if you are buying for dried beans or green, but these guys have some for about 1/2 what you quoted for green. They also have dried bean seed.

Fedco

Marie Mallery and Mary Stetler like this.
  6. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

You need to try and sprout some and see, @Mary Stetler . Last year, I planted beans out of the bags and they grew just tine. This year, they didn’t come up at all; so I tried putting them in the sprouter to see if they were going to sprout. About 2-3 was all that sprouted. Maybe they were old, I am not sure why they would not sprout.
    I tried some dried garbanzos, and they looked like they were going to sprout and then didn’t; but I might have got them in too wet of dirt after I planted them.
    I am going to try again, with a fresh package of kidney beans. We eat those all of the time anyway, so I will put a few in the sprout jar and plant them if they sprout.

Our walmart has pinto bean packets for 50 cents each, so you might check there, too.

7. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Evonne I think it is great your planting so many beans, I'm trying to get our garden ready transplanting containers into raised bedand turning compost and just about passed out a few minutes ago. I thought I'd just killed myself!:eek:,I couldn't breath and heart racing. So yall don't forget to slow down now and then.
    Not making anymore compost I'm going to try the Ruth Stout menthid and just throw the scraps, leaves ,etc, into the raised bed .Maybe not just Rauth Stout but kinda like hers, because we don't have hay but we do have dead leaves and lots of green brush.

Last edited: May 15, 2022
    Yvonne Smith and Beth Gallagher like this.
  8. Yvonne Smith

The kidney beans that I bought from Walmart sprouted just fine, @Mary Stetler ; so I think that you just have to have some that are from a later crop. These were just the regular walmart cheap dry beans, and I have two containers of them growing great already.

I moved all of my herb plants to the area outside of our kitchen window, and will make this a permanent herb garden if it works well this summer. I divided up some of my comfrey and planted a few of those in there, too, and planted some rosemary. The rest of the herbs are still in pots and I will plant the perennials in the ground at the end of this summer growing season.

At the left side are cucumbers, and the Moonflower at the back, and a large container with squash planted in it on the far right.
    The comfrey and rosemary are right along the front row.

B96B8CF0-DFCB-49F9-937A-C8C14C286156.jpeg

9. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

I just finished planting my bush beans in soil blocks. The ground is not warm enough yet to plant beans, so I pre-plant them in soil blocks and transplant them outside when things are ready. Pole beans are next. I told my wife we would have more beans than we ever have and she reminded me that we use to can more than 60 quarts of beans every year when we lived in Georgia. Of course that was with a growing season more than twice as long as we have here. I was speaking of the number of plants, not the yield. She was thinking yield. Our big greenhouse has all its tomato plants in, so cucumbers will be next. Pole beans go last. I will also plant pole beans outside, but they don't always do well in our climate and season.

10. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I put in my mini raised garden and everything is up. We put the tarps down to kill off weeds or make them slow down to pull. That is where I will put my large area of beans. We actually used up the last quart from storage this week. I gave too many away to friends.o_O I actually put in some corn this week although I have never had any luck with it.
    But a cold spell is coming next week. Have to rethink arrangements.

Yvonne Smith and Don Alaska like this.
  11. Yvonne Smith

I went out to do some weed-eating today, and somehow stepped into an ant hill, and those nasty little critters were inside my shoes and all over my foot before i even realized why my foot was suddenly stinging.
    I ran (Hobbled ? ) to the house, took off my shoes and scraped off the ants as best as I could and then went to the shower and sprayed them all off and used cold water all over my legs and feet to help numb the pain and stinging.

Then, I put on some aloe Vera with lidocaine, and after that, some calamine lotion, and now I have the worst-hurting foot slathered in zinc ointment.
    Totally thinking about Noxzema, so if the zinc does not help, Noxzema is next on the list.
    This probably belongs in the Pit of the Day thread, but we did talk about ants in this thread, and I was gardening, so here it is.

My foot has red lumps all over it and still stings like crazy, but I think it is getting better. I am going to mix up some sugar and borax and Mr. Bobby is going to put some on the ant hills that he can find.
    I am out of the Jungle for the day ! !

12. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

That stinks. Don't take chances with allergic reactions...go to the ER if you feel funny. An antihistamine might help. I've never heard of using Noxzema for stuff like that. (Just the name conjures up familiar smells and that translucent-blue jar.)

Don Alaska and Yvonne Smith like this.
  13. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

I remember dealing with fire ants in Georgia. My favorite trick was to stir up the hill then spray it with starting fluid and toss a match. I don't know if it did any good, but I got satisfaction from it. Good luck with the stings. I hope they heal soon. I understand there is now a hormone bait that prevents the larva from growing into adults. Totally nontoxic but kills the entire nest eventually.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  14. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

We had a glorious day in the garden. It was 80 F. and most of one garden was planted as well as the greenhouses and a high tunnel that was set up yesterday. I set up a low tunnel...well almost. I had to move and reset a fence. We have grandkids this weekend, and wife was amazed how they couldn't keep up with the old folks. Then we had a wonderful thundershower to top off the afternoon. It was only local and much of the surrounding area didn't benefit from it, but both the wife and the dog were out walking in the rain glorying in the wetness.

15. Dwight Ward

Dwight Ward Veteran Member
    Registered

This lovely stranger appeared among the wildflowers I'm growing. It wasn't there last year and I have no idea what it is.
    stranger3.jpg