19th Century Technology That Apple May Destroy

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Terry Page, Jan 14, 2016.

1. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

I hadn't realised just how old the humble jack plug that most of us use in it's mini version, for our earphones/headphones was.

Article here

After rumours that Apple was going to get rid of the headphone jack in its imminent iPhone 7, more than 200,000 people have signed a petition asking them to reconsider. This humble plug is a rare example of technology that has stood the test of time, writes Chris Stokel-Walker.

For what remains an unconfirmed rumour, a lot of people are upset about the new iPhone. It's alleged that Apple will be scrapping the 3.5mm socket, instead leaving headphones to be plugged into the "Lightning" port - the company's own design of socket.

Diane Lane and Chrissy Cross like this.
  2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Interesting, never really thought about them except to say that I hate them. Headphones and earphones brother me. Earphones hurt my ears after awhile. Since I live alone I don't really need them. If I'm somewhere else I don't listen to anything that requires using them. Even on my phone at home I'm usually on speaker because I don't like phones near my ear. I'm weird!

3. Terry Page

Registered

Yes we mere mortals know that angels can be weird Chrissy

4. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

But I like earrings! :)

Ina I. Wonder and Ruby Begonia like this.
  5. Terry Page

Registered

I haven't heard any rumours that Apple are intending to ban earrings Chrissy, but they may patent the fittings to get royalties :rolleyes:

6. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Supreme Member
    Registered

Ear "buds" bother me, they don't fit in my ear and it hurts trying. Fuggettaboutit.

7. Hannah Davis

Hannah Davis Veteran Member
    Registered

I wonder if this is one piece of technology Apple may live to regret. Love them or hate them earphone jacks are something individuals prefer to use when wanting privacy while listening to something on a device. If I recall correctly there were somethings that Apple regretted about the original Ipad. Including the fact that it didn't have a USB port which many complained about. I don't see Apple being able to make the earphone jack obsolete not with other devices out there still offering it even their earlier Iphones.

Ina I. Wonder likes this.
  8. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm also not a big fan of ear buds, phones/etc. I use headphones for some work I do, but that's the extent of it. Since I live alone and the cats don't get to voice an opinion, I skip the phones/buds and listen to things the natural way. I mute my device if I bring it in public, or usually just bring an old fashioned print book with me if I expect to need a time killer. I had heard about Apple's plan to use the lightning port, but I don't currently have an Apple device, so didn't think much of it. It's interesting that so many were opposed to the idea. I wish companies would get together and agree on one design, so accessories could be universal.

Ina I. Wonder and Terry Page like this.
  9. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I have Bluetooth headphones which I use when I need headphones; so it really does not matter to me what kind of connection they have for other headphones. However, I think that people will not like having to leave their expensive Bose headphones and buy Apple ones just to be able to use them with Apple products.
    I have a Lifeproof case on my iPhone; and it has to have a special adaptor (which got lost); so I have to use Bluetooth headphones with my iPhone in any case. Although, I could use a set that plugged into the charging port, since that has to be able to be used, even with the protective case.

Ina I. Wonder and Terry Page like this.
  10. Carlota Clemens

Carlota Clemens Veteran Member
    Registered

That's the great advantage of Bluetooth devices, but at the cost of high battery consumption.

Or at least I feel my battery runs out faster when I turn on the Bluetooth feature :eek:

Ina I. Wonder likes this.
  11. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I have a Bluetooth keyboard that I use with the iPad, and it does not seem to affect the battery life on my iPad at all. I use the iPad during the day, and then put it on the charger overnight, just like I did before I had the Bluetooth keyboard.
    The keyboard itself has a long battery life, and I only charge it up maybe once a month, or around that.

My Bluetooth headphones get charged about once a week; but I use those to listen to motivational tapes (actually on an iPhone app) every night when I go to bed.
    Lately, I have been listening to the Solfeggio healing tones apps, and there are six of those ; so I have a different one each night. It has a soothing message, and the background is the Solfeggio healing tones. (There is a thread about these in the health sub forum if anyone is interested in this.)

As far as Apple making the headphones to charge with a lightning port, I think the headphones would still be Bluetooth type of a cordless device; but instead of using the mini-usb charging port, you could use your lightning port instead. This would work fine for people who had headphones designed for this, or even a special charging cord that had a lightning post on one end, rather than the mini-usb.
    If it worked that way, then I think that it might be useful for people.