The Coffee Thread!

We have been getting the McCafe Columbian coffee for Bobby because that is his favorite, but the price just keeps going up and up and now it is just out of our coffee budget. This time I ordered him some Amazon Columbian to try. He said it is okay, so we will see what he says after he finishes his first bag of it. If not, I will see what other kind I can get for him to try iuntil we find an affordable one that Bobby likes.
 
Last edited:
I noticed that a k-cup brand called "Seattle's Best" was on sale so I picked up a box. I bought a medium roast so it's a little on the wimpy side, but a pretty mellow cup of coffee. Not bad but I probably wouldn't buy it again.
Amazon carries their whole bean coffees. As you said, it's inexpensive and not very robust. The daggone 8 O'Clock I buy at Walmart has been stuck on $20 for a shrinkflation-sized 30oz bag for the longest time. That's nearly $11/pound. Of course, the timing coincided from me having one or two cups per day to me swilling it all day long non-stop. It's by far the most expensive part of my grocery bill.
 
I think meat (beef) is still the big-ticket item for me. Of course, I usually order coffee (k-cups mainly) from Costco or Amazon subscribe-and-save. Now that I have reinstated our Sam's Club membership I will try their Member's Mark brand of coffee.
Has your Sam's Club eliminated cash registers yet?
 
No, but they are mostly self-serve checkouts with only a few cashiers. I haven't installed the Sam's app so I don't know if the 'scan stuff with your phone' stuff is available or not.
I believe it's one of those deals where the stuff in your cart is scanned by their technology, and your phone/app is the payment vehicle.
 
I believe it's one of those deals where the stuff in your cart is scanned by their technology, and your phone/app is the payment vehicle.

There is some kind of scanning apparatus as you exit the store. I assumed it was to scan my receipt against the contents of my cart but I have no idea, really. There is no person standing there with a giant yellow highlighter anymore.

Oh, and I don't use my phone to make any kind of payments; I don't trust that "Apple Pay" and don't plan to put my credit card or banking info on my phone.
 
I left Sam's Club for BJs several years ago, shortly after they put in the self-checkouts. While they retained, I think it was four, regular checkouts, they routinely only opened one of them, forcing people through the checkouts. That came about at around the time that BJs opened a few blocks away, so we went there. They have self-checkouts too, but they always have plenty of regular ones open. This also occurred around the same period that Sam's Club had a black female CEO who said that Sam's Club would never do business with any company whose boards were majority white.
 
There is some kind of scanning apparatus as you exit the store. I assumed it was to scan my receipt against the contents of my cart but I have no idea, really. There is no person standing there with a giant yellow highlighter anymore.

Oh, and I don't use my phone to make any kind of payments; I don't trust that "Apple Pay" and don't plan to put my credit card or banking info on my phone.
Same. It's insane to put your contacts, your banking data, your biometrics, and whatever else on a device you carry around everywhere.

And I just read a little on this. You were right...you use the app to scan your purchases and pay for them (or in the interim, use self-checkout until that is phased out) and then you go through an AI-driven scanning arch that compares your digital receipt to the cart's contents rather than having a human do it. “It actually can see up to a square inch of the packaging and can identify what the item is just from the visual of it.” The push-back is that people do not like being scanned by AI, and there are legalities regarding stopping someone who is trying to leave the store.
 
Same. It's insane to put your contacts, your banking data, your biometrics, and whatever else on a device you carry around everywhere.

Don't forget showing "Home" address on google maps. If someone stole my phone they could find my house, open the HondaLink app and steal my car.

And since this is the coffee thread, they could go through the garage and into the kitchen, make themselves a k-cup, and ride off into the sunset.
 
Back
Top