Personal Attacks

Ken Anderson

Greeter
Staff member
Please read this page on Personal Attacks. It is not a link that takes you off this site; it's in our help pages.

I can't think of anything more that I could say here that I haven't already said there. We fully understand that some parts of the forum, namely the political section, will sometimes stir members up to the point where they might address their frustrations directly to another member in the form of a personal attack. That's not okay, but it's understandable. It happens, and we're not going to be banning everyone who goes off the deep end once in a while, and particularly not when they realize it and apologize. There are three ways in which this becomes a much larger problem:
  1. The member who makes a habit of it;
  2. When they turn into feuds that spill over into other threads, and
  3. When others respond in kind, and the whole thread is derailed.
 
Last edited:
Well, it seems to me that a few posters try to incite personal attacks. They apparently count that as a "win". That's why I use the ignore feature.

Isn't that the truth? And I usually take the bait until I realize I'm part of the problem. I used to wonder what motivated people to be so annoying but apparently they are just AH's.
 
Okay speaking out of turn here, as I must have missed the fuss. But,are these people new members?
We have had many new members and sometimes, they are just looking for the political side of things in Forums.
If it is old time members, a bit more understanding and perhaps moving on to another topic would be beneficial.
 
Please read this page on Personal Attacks. It is not a link that takes you off this site; it's in our help pages.

I can't think of anything more that I could say here that I haven't already said there. We fully understand that some parts of the forum, namely the political section, will sometimes stir members up to the point where they might address their frustrations directly to another member in the form of a personal attack. That's not okay, but it's understandable. It happens, and we're not going to be banning everyone who goes off the deep end once in a while, and particularly not when they realize it and apologize. There are three ways in which this becomes a much larger problem:
  1. The member who makes a habit of it;
  2. When they turn into feuds that spill over into other threads, and
  3. When others respond in kind, and the whole thread is derailed.
Goodness. I seem to be able to derail a thread without personal attacks.
; )
The one who tells the truth but keeps referring to Trump as First felon is so annoying to me. We know his opinion and his supposed truthfulness but the incessant repetition....Isn't calling a person an insulting name over and over a personal attack?
 
The one who tells the truth but keeps referring to Trump as First felon is so annoying to me. We know his opinion and his supposed truthfulness but the incessant repetition....Isn't calling a person an insulting name over and over a personal attack?
I don't care what he thinks about Trump, but his constant abusive attacks wishing confusion on members of this forum should not be allowed.
 
The thing with the personal attacks that really bothers me is the attitude that they can say anything about other people and get away with it. It is the same thing as a person of some minority group who commits crimes, and then when they get the same punishment as anyone else would get, they say it was done to them because they are a minority.

There are people here who think they can say anything rude and not be banned because they are in a political minority in this forum, but if anyone says anything about those personal attacks, then that person is the one who is made to apologize.
 
The thing with the personal attacks that really bothers me is the attitude that they can say anything about other people and get away with it. It is the same thing as a person of some minority group who commits crimes, and then when they get the same punishment as anyone else would get, they say it was done to them because they are a minority.

There are people here who think they can say anything rude and not be banned because they are in a political minority in this forum, but if anyone says anything about those personal attacks, then that person is the one who is made to apologize.

The ability to apologize is missing in some people. Lack of remorse is what distinguishes the riff-raff. :ROFLMAO:
 
There are people here who think they can say anything rude and not be banned because they are in a political minority in this forum, but if anyone says anything about those personal attacks, then that person is the one who is made to apologize.
This occurs because, even though members of this forum are all over the political spectrum, those on the left generally speak of it as a conservative forum because we allow conservatives to have a voice, whereas the more leftist forums do not. With this mindset, when someone engages in personal attacks in the political sections of the forum, there will be those on their side of the political spectrum who will be convinced they were banned because of their politics, and then we simply replace threads hijacked by personal attacks with threads hijacked by accusations of bias.

Interestingly, in the last iteration of the forum, an active member of the forum went off the deep end after a reprimand and ended up being banned because she was convinced that I was attacking her because of her opinions, despite the fact that I mostly agreed with her opinions.
 
Oh and keep this one in mind. Many people who complain the loudest, do not even vote they are just voicing an opinion.
If you do not even vote, your opinion does not matter. Just say'en :cool:
 
Goodness. I seem to be able to derail a thread without personal attacks.
; )
The one who tells the truth but keeps referring to Trump as First felon is so annoying to me. We know his opinion and his supposed truthfulness but the incessant repetition....Isn't calling a person an insulting name over and over a personal attack?
If the person being called an insulting name is a member of the forum yes, but calling a non member of the forum a name isn't.

If AOC was a member here, we couldn't call her stupid. We could call her post stupid, but not her. Since she isn't a member here, then we can call her dumber than a fence post if we want.
 
Good afternoon to all-

OK. When I call the present occupant of the White House as the " First Felon"- that's what he is. He is the first convicted felon to occupy the highest office in our land. If it is an "insulting name" then the truth is insulting. And let's be honest here- "personal attacks" on political people is part of our country- it's part of the attention politicians should expect.

If the First Felon could label Biden as "Sleepy Joe" and portray Barack Obama and his wife as apes, I'd say he has no kick coming about anything anyone calls him- especially if it is true.

And mumbling and grumbling about banning me or anyone else is a very poor threat. I've been banned from this site- or perhaps it was the previous iteration of this site- before. and it doesn't hurt a bit.

I have never insulted anyone here personally, and I never will. I have a great deal of restraint in such matters. But I will address elected officials in any term I feel is appropriate.

And if my wishing "confusion to the republicans" is what you consider insulting, then I must say, you have a very, very thin skin.

I can think of many much more graphic- and yet accurate- things I could wish on republicans.

you all be safe and keep well- and confusion to the republicans
Ed
Yup, and your repetition is still annoying and you love it.
 
Good afternoon to all-

Fare Fox- I agree with you totally.

Private citizens should expect to be able to express opinions and thought without being labeled and being accused of anything except expressing their thought. Differing views can also be expected to be made and heard- it's their right to expression also.

Elected officials on the other hand have no such expectation coming. When a person sets her/himself up to run for office, then she/he should expect a very rough and sometimes painful experience with people looking at every utterance, every vote taken, every decision made and comment being made.

That's the way our political nation works.

And that's why I don't ridicule or demean anyone on this site for their opinions, even if I think that opinion is wrong and even dangerous. The elected folks- I call 'em like I see 'em.

you all be safe and be well- and confusion to the republicans
Ed
 
Back
Top