How susceptible are we to psy-ops?

Ken Anderson

Greeter
Staff member

This is not partisan in any way, but a short but interesting introduction to psy-ops, which is something we're subjected to constantly, in the news we watch, the podcasts we follow, and advertising. Both sides do it, drug companies do it, and the media presents it daily. Although governments and political agendas use it, it's not especially political. If you watch it, I think you'll appreciate it, and it's only about 10 minutes long.
 
I only listened to the first 31 seconds so I could get the gist of the video.

It is inherent in me to not be a follower or to believe everything I see or read. When I see ads for products on TV by famous people, my first thought is “you must need money.”

One of my top three mottos has always been “you don’t sign my paycheck”, whomever “you” happened to be at that moment.

Sadly, I do know people who worry so much what others think, they will buy into anything and eventually morph into someone not capable of making decisions for themselves.
 
Commercial advertising is perhaps the most benign form because, while it is still amazingly effective, more so than most of us would like to believe, it's less concealed. We expect it, or should expect it, when we see an advertisement. However, if commercial advertising is effective, as it must be, given corporate advertising budgets, how much more effective is it when it is presented as news, education, entertainment, or public health bulletins?
 
@Ken Anderson here’s a new ad that dropped my jaw when I saw it on TV.

Martha baby has never been fat nor broke, yet here she is advertising a GLP1 product.


Except for the fact that she has horses and honestly can ride, I stopped liking her eons ago, when she made a comment about “—stepping over her mother if it meant success—“ or something to that effect.

I notice they keep her 85 year old self a good distance from the camera and use special lighting. But I would like to know who her plastic surgeon is, in case I ever hit the more money than brains lottery, lollol

Of all the things she could advertise, why advertise a product for obesity as the ad clearly states…
 
Using psychology works. You can persuade most people to do what you want them to do by using psychology. I have done that a few times over the years.

My daughter was 15, almost 16 years old when she fell in "love" with a 17 year old high school dropout. She wanted to marry him right then. She was at that obstinate teenage when you couldn't reason with her. I knew that if I tried to talk her out of it by telling her all the reasons that was not a good idea, she would become more determined. So, I told her to just wait until she graduated, and we would give them biggest wedding that anybody in our county had ever had.

Reverse psychology.................

In the meantime, I started commenting on his good points, like he might be able to find a job that didn't require a diploma. The acne might eventually go away and not leave too many scars. She broke up with him a few months later.
 
@Shirely Martin...way to go girl. I to used that a time or two, My youngest decide to bleach her hair blonde and put on a spaghetti strapped black tight fitting short dress with heels. She looked like a cheap hooker on Second Ave. I let her go to some party with friends,around nine o'clock that night, she called whispering into the phone..mama can you come get me,? Take me to the store and help me color my hair? Um yes dear, I can do that. Her friends let her know she did not look attractive like that. Problem was solved and I was not the mea
 
Back
Top