Helpful forum tips

@John Brunner - I'm talking about the photo sizes, not the print, not the website, the photos.
Changing the screen & print size to allow the photos to fit would make the print way too small to be legible.
And constantly changing the screen size back and forth just to see the full photos would be a waste of time and space.
 
@John Brunner - I'm talking about the photo sizes, not the print, not the website, the photos.
Changing the screen & print size to allow the photos to fit would make the print way too small to be legible.
And constantly changing the screen size back and forth just to see the full photos would be a waste of time and space.

This is the same issue I have. I can't understand why the images are always so large.
 
Ken Anderson said:
Yes, the software will resize the appearance of an image, except the really small ones, to fit whatever screen size you’re viewing it in, but although it might visually reduce the size of a large image, it’s still taking up the amount of space of a large image.
Thats awesome Kenny.. VBB doesnt do that!!
 
If you were part of the first iteration of this forum, you've probably seen this, but, since I had spent a lot of time on it, I have fetched it from the Wayback Machine and added it: Forum Trolls & Trolling. I didn't add this because I thought we had a huge problem with it here, but because I thought you might find it interesting.
 
If you were part of the first iteration of this forum, you've probably seen this, but, since I had spent a lot of time on it, I have fetched it from the Wayback Machine and added it: Forum Trolls & Trolling. I didn't add this because I thought we had a huge problem with it here, but because I thought you might find it interesting.

Sadly, we have trolls that are active on the forum lately. I'm losing interest in being here because I resent the constant disruption. It's easy to say "just ignore them" or whatever, but why should I have to? Plus, their constant hateful remarks have made me uninterested in interacting with them when they post 'normal' conversation. I'm just not interested in hateful people.
 
Sadly, we have trolls that are active on the forum lately. I'm losing interest in being here because I resent the constant disruption. It's easy to say "just ignore them" or whatever, but why should I have to? Plus, their constant hateful remarks have made me uninterested in interacting with them when they post 'normal' conversation. I'm just not interested in hateful people.
That is exactly how I have been lately, too, Beth !
When someone has no interest in actually contributing anything besides insults and snarky remarks, and showing such juvenile (kindergarten) behavior, the whole thread loses my interest, so I miss the content when people do actually contribute to the thread.

It seems like it ends up in threads besides just the political ones, and like you said, I do not want to read those posters, even in non-related threads, because you never know when the snarks might show up in any posts.
I have been considering just doing the ignore thing again, and that might be the only way around this whole mess.
 
Last edited:
Sadly, we have trolls that are active on the forum lately.
We do, and I am hoping some of them recognize themselves and others become more aware of what they're dealing with. The true trolls wouldn't care, but much of the problem is coming from people who might just think they're standing up for themselves or something else. It's also helpful for others to be aware of what's going on, so they don't buy into the idea that someone has been removed because of their opinions. Opinions are fine regardless of who might agree or disagree with them, but intentional trolling is not. Sometimes it's hard to tell the difference.
 
Last edited:
We do, and I am hoping some of them recognize themselves and others become more aware of what they're dealing with. The true trolls wouldn't care, but much of the problem is coming from people who might just think they're standing up for themselves or something else.

I have come to realize that a certain type of person just gets enjoyment from annoying other people, and they are never going to "realize" because they are already well aware of their actions.
 
I'm feeling pretty disagreeable myself. I realize the forum is not a one-size fits all and that all civilized discussion is welcome. It's just that I have a different idea of what constitutes "civilized discussion."
Most people are perfectly okay with others disagreeing with them. If everyone disagreed with them, they might want to reexamine their positions, but most people can carry on a conversation with people with whom they disagree, and many of us enjoy having a civil discussion with someone we disagree with. In a forum, the problem is that when a troll is removed, sometimes others get the wrong idea that it's because they held the wrong opinion, particularly when they frequent the political sections of the forum, and there will usually be someone who will suggest that.
 
Opinions are fine regardless of who might agree or disagree with them, but intentional trolling is not. Sometimes it's hard to tell the difference.
That's because the word trolling is an ambiguous term, usually defined in the eyes of the person who uses it.
However, name calling and/or wishing ill will (confusion etc) towards other forum members should not be acceptable.
Again I am not asking for the banning of anyone, but rather making the guidelines clear on what is acceptable forum decorum.
Then once that is clear, any unacceptable parts of postings could be removed, along with a note that it violated forum guidelines.
 
Last edited:
Particularly in political topics, although I've seen it elsewhere as well, some people are in the habit of simply embedding a video or posting a link to some other site on the Internet that supposedly supports whatever it is that they've chosen to believe, and I can't understand it, unless the point of it is to save them from having to actually participate in a discussion.

No, there's nothing wrong with embedding a video or posting a link, although there are far too many links posted, as far as I am concerned, if the point is to support your position on something, but what I'm seeing a lot of are those who aren't even making an argument or stating a point; instead, they are simply trying take people away from the forum to read or watch something somewhere else.

Why? If whatever it is that you're embedding or linking is worth watching or reading, then why don't you show us that you have learned something from it by stating your positions in your own words? This is a discussion forum. We should be talking about stuff here, person to person. If you think we should all be watching PBS instead of discussing things on an Internet forum, or if you think that some other biased online source (whichever direction the bias goes) is way more interesting than anything anyone could say here, why aren't you there instead of here?

I used PBS as an example, but I've seen it on the other side of the political spectrum as well. Copying and pasting stuff from some other source is not a discussion. When you do that, you're making someone else's point, and if that person wanted to be part of this forum, they could join if they're fifty or older.

I don't care what your politics are; I want to talk with you, not with whoever else you think might be smarter or more authoritative than yourself. I'd rather talk to you, and the whole point of an Internet forum is for people to talk to one another, using their own words to state their own thoughts and opinions, not someone else's. Would you want to carry on a discussion with someone if, rather than responding to you directly, they brought out their phone and quoted an answer from AI or from the Internet? If I want to research something through AI or the Internet, I'd research something that I'm interested in.

Again, there's nothing wrong with posting a link for supplementary information, although these are usually unnecessary, and most people never click on them, anyhow. There's also nothing wrong with embedding a video that you think someone might be interested in, as embedded videos are, I think, more likely to be watched, seeing as they don't take us away from the forum. Sometimes a video can be used to introduce a topic. I do that sometimes, but I get the feeling that some people who embed videos haven't watched the video themselves because they have nothing of their own to say about it.

While there is a place for links, they should not take the place of your own words and thoughts, and you should be aware that most people won't click on them anyhow. While they may have their place, I'm not so sure that the forum wouldn't be better if we didn't allow them at all. We would lose the occasional information source that some people might actually go to, but on the upside, we'd all have to spend more time making our own points rather than simply pasting a link into the forum.

As with so many things, the problem isn't with the embedded videos, the links, or even copied-and-pasted stuff, but in the overuse of this stuff. This is a discussion forum, and most of us would rather hear from you than be taken on a tour of the Internet.

I don't mean this as a reprimand, but it has long been a concern of mine, and one that I truly don't understand. This forum isn't about recruiting people to vote Republican or Democrat, and it's not about persuading people to live the way we'd like them to live. Let's be real; we're not going to change enough minds here for it to make a difference. At its core, this is a discussion forum; a place for people fifty and older to talk to one another about stuff. This doesn't mean that your political, religious, or health views are unimportant or irrelevant, or that you can't try to convert people to your way of thinking, but that realistically, it's not likely to happen often enough to be worth annoying people. The discussion should be more important than the outcome, and we should be able to enjoy one another even if we disagree. This is more likely when we're talking person-to-person rather than through a battle of sources and third-party references.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top