Can Potatoes Augment/increase Joint Pains In Osteoarthritis

Discussion in 'Diets & Dieting' started by Susan Paynter, Feb 13, 2021.

1. Susan Paynter

Susan Paynter Well-Known Member
    Registered

If I look at myself as an example, I would say, all the 5 night shade vegetables are a no no for osteoarthritis.
    I was looking online for a simple natural solution for osteoarthritis especially in my knees. I came upon the 21 day meal plan which alienates foods that cause inflammation in our bones. I like to be pain free and found when doing so, it helped a lot.
    However, I came across an article which mentioned that
    potato juice from raw potatoes is a great help to anyone that is dealing with any form of arthritis. There is plenty of information on the net on this form of potato nutrition.

However, this theory counteracts the theory of the night shade family of vegetables, atleast in the instance of potatoes and arthritic pain, it seems.!!

2. Gloria Mitchell

Gloria Mitchell Veteran Member
    Registered

I have read all that also. Not true for everyone. Regardless I'm the Potato freak and I am not giving them up.I love my taters:)

3. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Veteran Member
    Registered

Yes, potatoes will aggravate osteoarthritis pain. It is a "night shade" veggie. I love potatoes, so I put up with the pain they put in my shoulders. Actually, I have a VA prescription of 800mg Ibuprofen and 50mg Tramadol, that I take. Also have some CBD Rub and Oil I use.

4. Gloria Mitchell

Registered

I don't eat them near as much as I did at one time. So for me do not think it matters. I may ask my rummy doctor about that though.

Susan Paynter likes this.
  5. Susan Paynter

Registered

Agree with you Cody, except for the meds!!

6. Gloria Mitchell

Registered

Aspartame is a joint killer. I don't use or drink anything that's got that in it
    And due to the process of elimination is how I know for a fact that it affects me at least very badly in that area.

7. Gloria Mitchell

Registered

I'm sorry I know we were talking about potatoes:p

8. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Here is what DR. John McDougall says about potatoes and arthritis. He said that the bad part is the solanine, so you have to make sure that the green parts are cut off of the potato, or just do not eat it if it has a lot of green (peeling the potato should take care of it though).
    This is an excerpt from his book, The Starch Solution, and he also has a website with a lot of good information about potatoes.

D53A9DB9-9496-4B21-A5CB-C0BADE403D81.jpeg

Susan Paynter likes this.
  9. Susan Paynter

Registered

Yvonne, I do enjoy potatoes and just did not eat any due to the fact of it causing or increasing the inflammation.

Well, thank you for this new insightful information, I will definitely look into his book which does give me hope, moving forward.

Yvonne Smith likes this.