AI Trolls & AI Trolling

Ken Anderson

Greeter
Staff member
In my help section on Trolls & Trolling, I included a section on what I chose to call AI Trolls, and thought I might clarify that.

As I see it, these are not usually people who intend to harm the forum, although some of them want to be viewed as being more intelligent than they think they are.

They might just want to be sure that they are being accurate, and society is quickly being conditioned to accept AI as the arbiter of truth.

However, I have added that here because the misuse of AI in discussion forums can easily be the death of a forum.

The whole point of a forum, such as this one, is to be able to have conversations with people roughly our own age from the comfort of our home computer or tablet.

While we don't want to be lied to, and we may value accurate information, that's not what we come here for. If we were simply looking for information, we could ask ChatGPT, CoPilot, Grok, or one of the other free or paid AI programs that are available to us.

If I am discussing something on the forum, I am looking for replies from other forum members, not something that is copied and pasted from an AI program. Even people who might not be able to say definitively that something was created by AI can often recognize that something is off, even if we don't know specifically what it is.

Some of you don't like debate-type threads, and that's okay, but those of us who do would like to be able to feel as if we're debating another forum member, not an AI program.

There is also the fact that AI is not the definitive answer to a question that some people might think it is. AI programs make stuff up all the time, and they do so in such a way that they sound authoritative, which adds to the discomfort felt by someone trying to discuss a topic with someone who is copying and pasting AI stuff.

As with many of the other types of trolls, not every usage of AI is trolling behavior. While I think the world would be a better place for people had AI never been invented, no one is going to put that back in the bottle, so we're stuck with it.

Since it's here, there are legitimate uses for it, perhaps even in a discussion forum. If you want to use AI to research some facts for you on a subject that you already have an idea of, just as someone might otherwise have used a search engine or another informational source, that's okay as long as AI isn't making the argument for you or deciding what the argument should be.

I'd still rather have a conversation with someone who is speaking from what they know, but it's not necessarily trolling behavior to ask AI for a fact.

However, the overuse of AI comes into play when you're using AI rather than your own brain, or when what you are posting is AI text rather than your own words.

I don't expect everyone to be an expert in everything here, and I hope you don't expect me to be right about everything, even if I am.

We're not writing textbooks here, we're not saving lives, and we're certainly not saving the world. Hopefully, we're serving some purpose, and I think we'd all like to believe that the people we're talking with here aren't lying to us or simply making stuff up, but no one is going to die if you're wrong about something.

Admittedly, I don't know much about being wrong about stuff, but no one should ever be made to feel humiliated because they got a fact wrong. We're living in a world where we're being lied to all the time, so we shouldn't place such a demand on ourselves that we have to let AI carry on our discussions for us.

I use Grammarly for spelling and grammatical errors, and I sometimes look something up before stating it as a fact here, and if you want to turn to AI from time to time, that's not what I'm referring to as AI trolling.

I have a paid version of an AI that I use in my work every day, but I don't sit behind my computer and have conversations with it. I'd like to come here for that.
 
Last edited:
A time or two, I have seen people post an answer from AI in which they made it known that it was from AI. There's nothing wrong with that if the point is simply to show what an AI answer would be, but let's not consider an AI reply to be a definitive answer to something. I quit watching a podcast that I used to watch, the PBD (Patrick Bet-David) podcast, because he began doing that a lot; when members of his panel disagreed, he would bring up the AI answer as the definitive answer to the question, and I found that to be annoying.
 
I've had "chats" with Chat-gpt, Kimi, Alexa etc, and all of them make constant mistakes, i.e. give out information that's
not right. When I point that out, most often with Kimi, it replies, "Whoops you are right about that, sorry." The information can
be helpful, but it's important to remember that they are just computers feeding out the information they've been programmed with.
 
Alot of sites I am on are having major AI BOT attacks bogging the site down and other stuff..

My friend Edwins site (emaildiscussions.com) has started getting 508 errors again.. My friend Todds site (sitcomsonline.com) must be getting hit harder because cloudfare has gotton more aggressive on his site.. It keeps blocking ME and I am not a spammer or AI BOT!!


I just feel like the end of the net is close.. TPTB dont want it here because we can talk around them and find out stuff they dont want us knowing!!

Very sad...
 
I avoid AI like the plague. No chats, no searches, no videos, or audio stories. The second I realize a video or audio story is AI generated or narrated I simply move on. As you can imagine it is getting more and more difficult to find human based content:(

For me using the internet for entertaining content is on borrowed time, not long before it is completely ruined. My solution will be to switch to reading books and watching older classic movies, participating in a few forums.

The golden age of unlimited knowledge and possibilities on the internet is gone forever:(
 
I had heard that YouTube was going to start labeling AI content as such, such as "AI-generated" or "AI-narrated," but I have seen no evidence of their doing that. I do much the same as you do, John. Even when the subject was something I'd have an interest in, once I realiize it is AI, I am done with it. Bringing this back on topic, which is not a general discussion of AI, which I think we might be doing in another thread, this is what the misuse of AI will do to a forum. Few, if anyone, wants to spend their time discussing something with someone who is letting an AI program do his talking for him.
 
Last edited:
In my work, I use AI a lot, but not usually to do my writing for me. Since we have a policy of trying to use the English vernacular of a region when we're adding content to that region, such as when I am in a Wales category, I would use the form of English used in Wales (which is largely British English), spelling words with the extra vowels and replacing "z's" with "s's," and so on. Rather than having to look up whether a word would use a "z" or an "s," I will ask AI to do that for me, not because I'm incapable of doing it, but because it saves time. Also, a part of my job is briefly describing what the listed websites are about, and sometimes (often, actually) a website will consist of a buttload of words and pictures, none of them making it clear what the company does for a living, what might distinguish one church from another, or sometimes even which town a school is located in, the ages of the students and grades taught. I usually review websites on my own, but I will ask AI to summarize some of the more difficult ones.

This, I think, is a reasonable use of artificial intelligence because it's just giving me what I could find on my own, only quicker. If I were to overuse AI on my job, my employer might wonder what he's paying me for. Likewise, when someone overuses AI on a discussion forum, people will wonder why they are bothering replying to posts here when they could just chat with Grok or Copilot if that's what they wanted to do. This is a discussion forum for people, not AI.
 
Back
Top