Continue The Story / Two.

Discussion in 'Games & Riddles' started by Craig Wilson, Feb 20, 2023.

1. Terence Eames

Terence Eames Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Back home at last Jake got his lads to unload the cart and see to the horse and his dog Brutus.
    Soon he was back in his wife's arms with his children all over him or hugging Brutus.
    Little treats and presents for all, and a real Silver cross on a neck chain for his wife.

Later Jake dropped by Reverend Flasher's home to say hello to him and Molly.
    He'd got them each a little gift from Sheffield's busy markets:

He'd bought Flasher an old worn leather bound scruffy book about some Pilgram's progress. It had some nice pictures in it too, although quite faded now and in the early styles of print. Jake felt something like this might appeal to Flash.
    He haggled the price down from one Guinea to just 3 silver crowns. He also bought Flash a pair of nearly new knee high Calvary boots with steel buckles.
    For Molly he bought a big volume of "Who's who in Britain". It was printed only 5 years ago and had a lovely engraved leather cover. Two pounds seemed fair thought Jake but he still haggled the price down to 32 shillings. Haggling was always expected and there was an art to it for sure. His wife was a better haggler than Jake and taught him the etiquette of it.

Jake was very open to all about the Highway men who tried to rob him on the road from Sheffield, 95% truthful and the news spread like wildfire.
    Sgt Dawson quizzed Jake.
    Jake, only then, did say how he'd outsmarted the thieves by tossing his pennies into the long grass, and even how young and wretched they were and his desire not to kill any of them. 'Brutus was enough to put the fear upon them.'
    Sgt Dawson nodded and thanked Jake patting his shoulder.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2023
    Craig Wilson and Jessica Morgan like this.
  2. Craig Wilson

Craig Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

The clergyman felt blessed, a pair of almost new shoes and now new boots thanks to the generosity of his friend Jake the only smithy now in Romley Town and in his eyes the best in the English midlands.That evening he read some of his other gift from Jake, A Pilgrims Progress. As a man of the cloth he felt privileged as the book written almost 100 years before by John Bunyan was a Christian allegory and was regarded as one of the most significant works of theological fiction in English literature. The novel, believed to be about Bunyan himself, is a symbolic vision of the good man’s pilgrimage through life...

Last edited: Apr 12, 2023
    Jessica Morgan and Terence Eames like this.
  3. Terence Eames

Registered

Jake was happy to offset the cost of reshoeing a horse by taking its old worn metal shoes to melt down in his forge. His cousin was a better farrier than Jake and did that side of things. The leather horse boots turned out to be very helpful for horses with overly worn hooves, as was Jake's stumbling reason for them. An evolution of reasons.

Jessica Morgan and Craig Wilson like this.
  4. Terence Eames

Registered

Jake was hammering away shaping a long strip of glowing red metal.
    He had pushed Pegs soft wax into his ears to shield them from the noise. Old Peg sold her special ear blocks to Jake and his crew, and Jake made it free to his people, as long as they attended Reverend Flasher's Sermons. That was Jake's wife's idea. 'What? Even Brian the Catholic?'
    The compromise is still a work in progress.... Brian was a great tanner who permanently smelled of urine and was a great yarner after his cups.

Pounding the glowing red iron, with ears blocked, Jake only felt the tug on his sleeve. It was one of the street boys who ran errands for him.
    "Master Smith, three rich looking men on fine horses are coming here for you, plus two leather clad archers!

They asked for our Smithy, you, as one horse had thrown a shoe. My little brother is leading them here. They flicked me a penny.
    "I can better that lad, here's tupence" said Jake. "Good lad!, and three farthings for gob stoppers offa old Peg....and then to tell the Reverend. "

Last edited: Apr 14, 2023
    Jessica Morgan likes this.
  5. Jessica Morgan

Jessica Morgan Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Molly had been busy disguising clothes and roughing up shoes. She had heard a few hours ago the the madam was due to ride through these parts in 2 days time, she didn't feel like it was enough time to get things ready but she had no choice, if she wanted to rob the madam and her trollops then Molly and her gang would have to be ready.
    She went looking for Flasher and Jake, they needed masks, cloaks, blankets for their horses, and a bottle of rum so they could have a few swigs each before they launch their assault....

Terence Eames likes this.
  6. Craig Wilson

Registered

Molly found Flasher at home going over his sermon for the morrow. Soon after Jake arrived and they discussed the assault on Monday of the French madam whore and her littling whores and precisely what they intended doing with them. Stripping then tar and feathering was the preferred treatment but did they have time. They could always hi jack the carriage and take it some isolated place where they could administer the punishment for their wicked sin.

7. Terence Eames

Registered

I'm not keen on the tar bit. How about molasses, oil, manure and pig's fat instead?
    Other than that, I'm good to go.

I'll prepare the horses like you said Molly.
    Thanks for the Rum too.

8. Terence Eames

Registered

No tar please, especially not on women.
    I've heard dreadful tales.

How about molasses again, or oil, grease, pig's fat or even manure that I have plenty of with my stables. A mix of bits, even some dog poo too.

I've got lots of feathers too from my wife's Chicken pen.

Thanks for the swig of rum Molly, could you top up my little silver flask too, just to keep out the cold and to give me some of that Dutch Courage. Why not Scottish courage, or irish, ...Australian courage....Indian courage?

I'll get the horses ready as you suggested and I'll even put those leather boots on them to silence their hoof falls.
    I took the initiative and prepared 4 sacks of feathers, 2 sacks of oil, grease and molasses soaked Manure, 2 pistols, my new mask, ta Molly, my sabre and 2 daggers. And a small silver flask of Molly's lucky rum, to keep out the cold.
    I told my wife I'm off chasing a lost horse that escaped from our Stables. Specifically, an old placid Mare called Daisy. She's where I left her just out of town, loaded up with those sacks of scented manure and feathers.

Reverend Flasher, I hope you enjoyed that holy pilgrim book. I don't read so good but it looked interesting with its pictures.
    Also Dear Reverend Flasher,
    Please borrow my fine Musket. It's much more deadly than a pistol and much more accurate too. Single shot only, and you have the pistol from Molly. Need a sword?
    Coach drivers fear such muskets I'd reckon.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2023
  9. Craig Wilson

Registered

I meant molasses Jake. Forget the oil specially the manure ..phhew! Molly do you agree we need to take them somewhere isolated so they wont know where they are and tell the Runners.You told us that Sgt Lawson said Fancey's replacement a Sir Harold Summerton is becoming a little suspicious of hi jackings on the Greater Romley Rd. Let us call his bluff and set up a detour to have the carriage travel down Little Romley Rd instead.
    If is all the same to you Jake I will remain with my unloaded pistol. You my good friend can carry the musket to scare the pants off the coach driver as is you wish..

Last edited: Apr 17, 2023
  10. Terence Eames

Registered

That's a relief about the tar Reverend. Molasses it is.
    I'll carry the musket too.
    Good idea about the detour to Little Romley Road. Good thinking Reverend Flasher.

11. Jessica Morgan

Registered

Yes, replied Molly, we'll take them somewhere isolated and free them of their clothes and valuables. Molly was after an outfit for herself for the ball that she and her men planned to gatecrash, she'd have to disguise an outfit with ribbons and lace from another outfit but that wouldn't be a problem.

It was the night before the ambush, all 3 highway robbers had planned everything, the weapons, feathers, and of course Jakes flask, along with her own and Flashers. Molly promised to get Jake some Irish whiskey from a guy she knew who traded booze for boots for his wife and daughters, she'd get Flasher one too and some cider for herself.

Molly went to check on her horse in the stable, she would remove the braided mane and cover her with a tatty old blanket for the ambush. Those trollops better have some fancy gear, she shrieked as she fed an apple to her horse....

Terence Eames and Craig Wilson like this.
  12. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

Post deleted by a moderator at the game players request.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2023
    Jessica Morgan and Craig Wilson like this.
  13. Terence Eames

Registered

Many of Romley's town's folk were agog when they saw a huge dog dressed up in some old clothes and rags wearing an old frilly bonnet.
    What was stranger was the dog was leading an old grey mare with its reins in its mouth. The horse was also adorned with more old rags, feathers and wild flowers.
    Atop the horse sat a little girl dressed in coloured strips of more old rags with garlands of flowers in her hair.

As the strange sight slowly moved through the town the little girl waved her wand at all singing "Bless ya all me royal subjects, God and I luves ya awl."

Even Sgt. Dawson's jaw dropped at the sight, but slowly a grin and then louder laughter got Dawson bent in half.
    Some town's folk looked at their Sergeant and asked what was happening? Dawson couldn't answer through his now howls of laughter with tears running down his face.

Craig Wilson and Jessica Morgan like this.
  14. Jessica Morgan

Registered

The 3 highway robbers couldn't stop laughing when they saw what had happened in Romley, it gave them some light hearted relief from the pressure they were under to rob the madam and her girls.
    Oh, shouted Molly to her men, I've heard a whisper that the madams name is Miss Easy Rider, again the trio fell about laughing! Molly imagined her to be a big busted woman with a strong cockney accent, they'd soon find out.

The day of the robbery was here, all 3 highway robbers were getting things ready, Molly had an old but clean blanket for her horse. She wore clothes to make her look like a young lad, she also had a sack in her saddle bag to stash an outfit for the ball that they planned on gatecrashing....

Terence Eames and Craig Wilson like this.
  15. Craig Wilson

Registered

Molly you say the madam is called Miss Easy Rider so she is not French after all but from London. If she speaks with a cockney accent I will gag her and her trollops. Jake and I have found an old abandoned barn sufficiently isolated and have stored the molasses plus duck and chook feathers within. A detour sign has been set up on the Greater Romley Road directing their coach towards Little Romley Road where we will be waiting to give them an afternoon they will never forget...

Last edited: Apr 20, 2023