Zentangles - The Zen Art of Doodling

Discussion in 'Hobbies & Crafts' started by Mal Campbell, Jan 24, 2015.

1. Mal Campbell

Mal Campbell Supreme Member
    Registered

I found zentangles about a year ago, and absolutely love it. I always wanted to be able to draw, but I can't draw the proverbial straight line. This is a type of drawing that really anyone can do. It's just fancy doodling. Even the complex, complicated patterns are drawn one line at a time, and are easy to do. For some beautiful examples of the art, just google "zentangle". To learn how to draw the different patterns, google "zentangle step outs". There's a great website called tanglepatterns.com that has a lot of patterns. Also, if you go to youtube, there are a lot of how-to videos that are helpful.

Here's a photo of one I did.
    Drupe Path - 600 dpi.jpg

Monica Rich and Jim Veradyne like this.
  2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Monica Rich likes this.
  3. Michelle Stevens

Michelle Stevens Veteran Member
    Registered

@Mal Campbell , I love that picture. :)

I've heard of zentangles before, but never found the time to read up on it. I can't draw either though I can occasionally fake it with a vector program on my computer. But I always thought a picture like the one you posted was beyond my capabilities, so maybe it's time for me to give it a try.

Monica Rich likes this.
  4. Pat Baker

Pat Baker Supreme Member
    Registered

I have always wanted to draw but must face my limitations. Thanks for the information on the doodling which I can do very well. Love the one you did.

5. Priscilla King

Priscilla King Veteran Member
    Registered

That's quite a doodle...or meditation.

6. Julie Stewart

Julie Stewart Veteran Member
    Registered

That's amazing - and as @Priscilla King says, it's like a meditation. You've got me intrigued - I'm going to explore.

Ina I. Wonder likes this.
  7. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

I didn't know this kind of doodling had a name. My mother use to draw all sorts of designs that she called doodling while she would set and talk to her friends on our old desktop phone. (Remember those?) I remember giving her a big box of 64 Colored pencils and she was able to produce amazing and intricate designs.

She sold many of them a the VFW that she and my stepfather spent their they're evening at. Her drawing inspired the embroidery work I did on the jackets and shirts for the returning Veit Nam Vets. I wonder if any of those garments still exist.

8. Texas Beth

Texas Beth Veteran Member
    Registered

I do not think in three dimensional terms. I would think a person would have to be able to see in three dimensions in their mind in order to draw this.

Monica Rich likes this.