Zarathustra

Discussion in 'Movies & Entertainment' started by Frank Sanoica, Nov 25, 2019.

1. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

The word popped into my head this evening; I asked my wife to quick research it, as I hummed some notes which also popped up. She came up with some nebulous nothings. So, I proceeded.

Song done 1972 by Brazilian band leader, Eumir Deodato. Made Billboard #2 on Top 40. It actually was the theme song from movie "2001: A Space Odyssey". A search of Deodato's biography is most surprising; he had prepared a played musical script for a great number of Hollywood Celebrities.

"2001: A Space Odyssey is a 1968 epicscience fiction film produced and directed by Stanley Kubrick. The film is noted for its scientifically accurate depiction of space flight, pioneering special effects, and ambiguous imagery. Sound and dialogue are used sparingly and often in place of traditional cinematic and narrative techniques. The soundtrack incorporates a number of pieces of classical music, among them Also sprach Zarathustra by Richard Strauss"

See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2001:_A_Space_Odyssey_(film)

I do not recall going to see the movie, but due to it's popularity on radio, the title and harmony cannot escape me......The in-space scenes in the video must have been made during the Apollo Moon shots around '68-69; they are absolutely beautiful. No such real images had not been taken before the late '60s.

Von Jones and Lois Winters like this.
  2. Lois Winters

Lois Winters Veteran Member
    Registered

This movie is my all time favorite. The music is outstanding and is used very dramatically in all the right spots. I not only loved this film for its forward thinking but for the spiritual uplift it gave me for there is an underlying ethereal aura I detected throughout.

3. Trevalius Guyus

Trevalius Guyus Veteran Member
    Registered

My all-time, favorite flick. I've seen it eight times. The scene where the ape leader uses the first tool, for the first time, still brings tears to my eyes, for many reasons.

Interestingly, while Kubrick made this movie long before the many advances in special effects were developed, I still think his methods of taking us along for a ride in space far outshine so much CGI work that came out later.

4. Lois Winters

Registered

I agree with that assessment, Tree Guy. Nothing like that film ever moved me as much. Not even close. The ending just blew me away.

5. Harry Havens

Harry Havens Veteran Member
    Registered

Wonderful movie, although I had to read the book and then go see the movie a 2nd time, to get the total drift.

BTW, here is the movie version (opening) of Strauss' Thus Spoke Zarathustra Op 30...

Trevalius Guyus and Lois Winters like this.
  6. Lois Winters

Registered

I have seen the movie several times. Never tire of it.

7. Trevalius Guyus

Trevalius Guyus Veteran Member
    Registered

I also had to read the book, to clear up the ending.

Harry Havens likes this.
  8. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

OMG! My mom used to listen to this ALL the time.

Lois Winters likes this.
  9. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

I have chills!!!

Frank Sanoica likes this.