Your Last Flat Tire?

Discussion in 'Other Reminiscences' started by Tom Young, Dec 10, 2019.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Haven't done a tire change on a vehicle for years.....definitely over 20 years.
    We've had AAA since 2005 and have used them for tire change (on shoulder of freeway), battery problem and definitely for towing.

2. Peter Renfro

Peter Renfro Veteran Member
    Registered

Five or six years ago coming home from Myrtle Beach, I ran over a drywall screw. I had a compressor with me and aired it up twice till we got to a shop for a patch repair. Does that count? The right front on my lawn mower has a leak and requires air about every third day. Someday I will tear it down and patch it.

3. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

After driving my own caws for 67 years, I don't recall ever having a flat while driving, but I have had nearly flat tires before driving off, which I pumped up with the tire pump I always keep in my caw.

Afterwards, I would remove the wheel, break the tire from the rim, pull out the tube and dunk it to locate the leak, and patch it with a 98-cent hot-patch kit.

Do any of you Junior Seniors remember doing this? ;)

Hal

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
  4. Tom Young

Tom Young Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I guess I'm a "junior".... How about this:
    The "War Years" ... 1940's.... Dad had an old Olds sedan.. It was when you couldn't buy tires or tubes for love nor money.
    (rubber was critical for the war effort). Almost all of the cars on the road were old, and running on almost bald tires. Probably wrong, but as I remember it, we had one flat a week. The tubes had so many patches they were speckled. Dad used a torch to vulcanize the tube.

Over the years, I can also remember the ever present rust. The Olds was originally green, but we repainted it off white, using powder puffs, so there wouldn't be any paint streaks.

5. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

6. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't remember that at all..and just to make you feel old Hal, you've been driving for longer than I've been alive.... ;):D:D sorry about that...

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  7. Milla Jonas

Milla Jonas Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I’m looking to buy a new car next year, my preference is Toyota however I’ve looked at Honda & Nisan none of them come with a spare tyre now days only a very skinny wheel so you can drive to,the nearest tyre repair shop.

some more expensive ‘ high end “ cars that are way out of my budget and way to low to get into / out of you can drive with the tyre flat as informed by a car dealership where I looked at a USED Mercedes hatch type car

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  8. Hal Pollner

Registered

Sorry, you say?

Hell, Holly, I'm PROUD of my elderly years! In a social group, I never fail to tell elderly people that I'm older than they are!

Harry

Holly Saunders likes this.
  9. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

and rightly proud you should be too..., however it always makes me laugh when some elders revert back to childhood with regard age...

Holly, aged 6 tells people she's 6 and 3/4, or nearly ... Holly potentially when she's 86 might do the same.. proudly stating she's coming up/almost 87... even if it's 10 months away... o_O:eek::D

10. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

the other day at the optometrist's to get glasses for my wife, the clerk asked how many years we'd been married and I said 61 years. Judy looked at me askance and said "WHAT"?
    So I had to modify that to 60 and 1/2 years.

11. Hal Pollner

Registered

Ahhhh...so you've got a Judy too!

Congrats!
    Hal

Al Amoling likes this.