Your Last Day Of Employment

Discussion in 'Jobs I Have Had' started by Hal Pollner, Apr 24, 2020.

1. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

Mine was July 10, 1998 on the day before I turned 62, almost 22 years ago. What a Payday THAT was!

Since then, Boeing has added $340,000 in Pension Checks to my Personal and Company savings.

With no mortgage or car payments, my wife and I do well on just our SS payments.
    Hal

th.jpg

Ken Anderson likes this.
  2. Thomas Stearn

Thomas Stearn Veteran Member
    Registered

Officially, mine was on 31 March 2018. I had turned 63 in that month. Actually, my last day was on 23 Feb. because I had to take my remaining holidays and use up overtime by 31 March.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2020
    Bobby Cole likes this.
  3. Hugh Manely

Hugh Manely Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

You are very blessed, and I am happy for you.

My wife and I were both teachers, so we did get a pension also, but nothing as good as you did.

We have used much of our savings on our daughters, for such things as helping for down payments on a house, college for our g-daughters, and paying for court costs for custody proceedings, etc. But we were happy to help out for all of those, because we have wonder daughters, and g-daughters. They are teachers also. One g-daughter is at Stanford, working on her PhD.

4. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

My last day of employment was Oct 30, 2007, a couple of days before we moved from Colorado to North Carolina. Got some 401K, that was in my account, along with my last employment money put into bank account. I did not retire at that time, so looked, unsuccessfully, for a job in North Carolina (area where we lived). Was able to get EUI for awhile and then applied and got my SS Early Retirement.

My wife's last day, on her last job, was August of last year, just before we moved from northeastern Florida. She doesn't want to retire and is continuing her search for employment here in northern Colorado, but has been pretty unsuccessful. She's gets her SS.

Neither of us have a Pension, because we never worked for a large enough company that offered it.

With the "cut-backs" that we have done, we make it fairly well. IOW, we do "ok" with SS and savings. The stimulus helped very, very much. Thank You, President Trump!!

Bobby Cole and Yvonne Smith like this.
  5. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Retirement? Well, I guess I retire every night around 10 or so.

Yeah, I know we’re talking about being sent to pasture so I guess I can easily write that I hope I never see that place. Too many old people there!
    I’m still gainfully employed by the best boss I could ever find, (me) and do not plan to sit down until the Good Lord calls my name.

6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

My last day of full-time employment was when I sold my part of the ambulance company to my partner and moved to Maine in the spring of 2001, but I am still working 30 hours a week for the web directory, and sometimes 40. I do that from home, though, so it doesn't seem like employment.

Peter Renfro and Bobby Cole like this.
  7. Hugh Manely

Hugh Manely Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I didn't want to retire. I thought being around young persons kept me young, so I stayed on for 5 years part, but only teaching distance learning.

But, I still missed the class room, and I couldn't always tell if the students were really doing the work by themselves. (they still had to come to campus for the midterm and final).
    Being in math, the calculators were getting more and more powerful, so I decided that the technology was too much for my old, worn-out brain. So I decided I had done enough damage.

8. Peter Renfro

Peter Renfro Veteran Member
    Registered

My last day of regular work. April 2013. 56 and 6 mos of age. cumulative 31 years of federal service, 4 with the USMC, 8 with the DoD and the rest with the USPS.
    Iwent in as usual in the morning, got the route cased up tied out ready to go. Had a little ceremony on the workroom floor. Postmaster made a speech,gave me a service pin, a couple of certificates of merit and a plaque, Supervisor made a speech, Union steward made a speech, I made a speech,postmaster made a couple of closing remarks and all retreated to the
    breakroom for cake. After I signed a slip for 3 hours leave and walked out the door.
    Since then I have worked here and there as the spirit or desire for toys have moved me.
    I am hoping to get somehours in the next few weeks when planting starts. Did fill in two days last week spreading manure, 12 hours total.

9. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

Last day at work was in December 2002, at age 56. Still remember when I got the letter saying they approved the buy in of up to one year's service at a previous job, making it 30. I gave notice the next morning. I believe the buy in was less than $2000. The best money I ever spent.

Luckily there was another person retiring at the same time, so there were no speeches. There was a cake, and everyone passed by the coffee room at their leisure to eat the cake.

Remained friends with one person who worked there. Ran into another at a gas station occasionally, for several years afterward. He liked to gossip, and would always update me on how things kept getting worse, and made me even more happy I retired. :p

Von Jones and Peter Renfro like this.
  10. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

I had planned to retire early on my 62nd birthday but in August of 2014 I was laid off and haven't returned to the workforce since.

11. Steve North

Steve North Supreme Member
    Registered

January of 1997 was the last day I worked.. We had video rental shops in Montreal and I sold one and liquidated the other one to a wholesaler.. Before that I was a Commercial Investment Consultant for many many years working for myself..
    The only pension we get is from the Provincial Government and the Federal Government because of the income taxes we paid.as well as the retirement fund we pain into..
    Absolutely NO complains about our monthly income.. We live very comfortably where we are and also it isn't that expensive up here..
    Actually pretty cheap with a good quality of life..