Young People These Days

Discussion in 'Education & Learning' started by Joanna Newton, Nov 12, 2021.

1. Joanna Newton

Joanna Newton Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

What should be most concerning is the increase in violence.
    While I don't know any teenagers or young adults personally, it's like many are mad at everybody and hate the world. A couple of years ago there were local incidents where groups of kids- one was only 12- committing random attacks on strangers for no logical reason. Instead of "young people," more like packs of wild animals.
    A more recent example: https://live-feeds.com/two-iowa-tee...eacher-at-their-school-univision-news-events/

Does anyone here have input/opinions on why so many young people these days are so hateful and angry?

2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

The information is probably not available anymore, or at least hard to fine online; but I remember reading that all of the school shootings (and other similar shootings) were committed by people who were on doctor prescribed drugs, mostly the SSRI drugs, like Pradaxa.
    A lot of kids are put on some kind of medication from the time they reach school age, or even before , and they continue to take it for years afterwards.

We have all heard the television commercials for most all of the drugs being advertised, and many of them include side effects like depression, thoughts of suicide, homicidal tendencies, and other similar things. These side effects are even for drugs that are supposed to help asthma or something like that, let alone what the side effects are for drugs that influence mental reasoning.

I think that the television programs and video games also play a role in what has happened with some of the teenagers of today. Playing video games and killing people is a whole lot different than back in the 1950’s when we used to run around the yard playing cowboys and Indians .

3. Joanna Newton

Registered

I don't really know much about the video games, but I do agree those drugs are often a factor.

Elena Lee and Mary Stetler like this.
  4. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

When we went to school we interacted with others our age for better or worse but when school was out it was over. Now, some post hateful messages on whatever social media sites they are on and it gets spread and festers. It used to be that only little cliques gossiped back and forth with each other but it never left their group. Social pressures are a lot more now.

5. Joanna Newton

Registered

Yes, that's true, too.

6. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't see any farm or ranch kids doing violence. Then again, they have livestock and crops to help take care of. Many are in FFA and 4-H and even involved with Little Britches, Junior, High School and College rodeo. We have a nice rodeo team that go to Colorado State University in Ft. Collins.

When I was in high school, the students I hung out with at lunch, didn't go across the street to 7-11 and smoke cigarettes and drink a coke. We ate lunch in the cafeteria and were in FFA and/or 4-H or "top of the class" students.

7. Teresa Levitt

Teresa Levitt Veteran Member
    Registered

the children going to schools and colleges...since the 60's have been programmed...that plan by the communist elites...has intensified...

Mary Stetler likes this.
  8. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Raised without discipline and responsibility.

9. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

In other words, no one wants to take the time.

Skyrocketing out-of-wedlock birth rate, divorce, 2-wage-earner households. The kids come last. Even in chaotic households in the past, the kid at least had the sanctuary of their own space. Now they get shuttled around every single day with no chance to just "be."

That being said, I'm not sure I agree with the premise. I wonder if the stats back up what the media puts forth. "What we see" and "what we know" is never first-hand. The media picks which drum to beat and we start dancing before we even think about it.

Ed Wilson and Bobby Cole like this.
  10. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Anybody remember the old saying "latch key kids"? Both parents working and the kid/student had to come home to nobody at home.

Then there are those kids that came home from school (bus), put homework in bedroom and headed to the barn to hook the tractor up to the plow or disc. From there, it was working in the fields for a few hours, until dad came home from work and drove the farm truck out to the field to say, "your mom told me that supper was ready". Sure can't get into trouble with this lifestyle!

Janice Lynne and Nancy Hart like this.
  11. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

All of the above comments may be true, but the biggest problem I think :
    There are no good role models - the Roy Rogers of the world are dead and Snop Dog just does not cut it.
    Then there is the news, showing what real adults are like , Whinny, bitcthy, lazy, greedy, underhanded, lying, cheating, that barley even covers our governement officals.So yes, they are angry, confused,misled, untrustworthy, so on.Also they do not have enough to do,because in many ways, it is done for them.The list grows on.

12. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I just heard an advertisement for a new debit / credit card for kids called Greenlight.
    I guess it comes with an app for the parents so they can monitor what the kids are spending their money on and also allows the parents to give allowances and set amounts for charities and such.

I’m kind of sweet and sour on the idea. In a way it does help teach kids a little responsibility and says hello to a cashless society but still, there’s something that’s raising the hair on the back of my neck about it and I don’t know why.

Somebody has to be making money for the app which I guess would be #1 but that’s understandable. Maybe it’s the idea of familiarizing kids in the arena of credit since a debit card is the first step toward wanting a credit card it seems.
    Again, I don’t know what it is but there’s got to be something that’s raising Cain in my brain about it that makes me really leery about giving a debit card to a kid.
    Parents are already giving their kids smart phones, tablets, televisions and all kinds of gaming machines which to me is already a no-no if parents aren’t monitoring what’s going on with those devices (which most do not) so I dunno…..

Lois Winters likes this.
  13. James Hintze

James Hintze Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I've read several of the posts here, and I'd like to defend today's youngsters. First, as I've posted here, I ended my 52 year teaching career two years as adjunct prof at the local two year college. The students were those who couldn't get into a four year uni, or couldn't afford to. There were also 30 and even 40 somethings, who were finishing what the didn't earlier. I thought they were all a good bunch. I also add here that my brother's daughter is the principal of the small high school I graduated from 65 years ago. As a small town she knows all of the parents by first name (as my mother did 70 years ago.), What I understand from her, is that the pupils are similar to us in the middle of the last century. Wife and I also have some personal friends with school age kids.

I might add something I've mentioned before. I graduated from the U of Idaho without paying a dime tuition. Even the dorms were helped by taxpayers. My doctoral degree was mostly paid by taxpayers (Austrian). I suspect that many of my friends here have taxpayer supported degrees.

14. John West

John West Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

And may I add "consequences".

15. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

This is an excellent point, @James Hintze . I think that we probably have more of the younger generations who grew up to be useful members of society than the ones who are doing all of the crazy acting out stuff.
    Naturally, those are the ones we see in the videos and in the news, and the ones who are not doing anything except living a good life, are the ones we never hear about.
    Both of my grandsons have grown up to be great adults, have jobs and raising their families, with good moral values, and just about anything we could wish to see in our grandchildren.