Work Ethics? Like Honor Among Thieves? The Same?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by Jeff Elohim, Jan 25, 2021.

1. Jeff Elohim

Jeff Elohim Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Titles, degrees, certificates.... often not worth the paper it's written on, in any field... since, for money, they can be as dishonest as the rest of them.

It may be more grievous, yes, if they are wittingly going along with the deceptions, but they still share in the guilt somewhat even if they do not know....

They were warned. Their consciences were tested, and they caved in , resulted in seared consciences
    whether a little , if at all, or a lot, beyond likely recovery... ?

Just like the workers at Enron , who knew what was going on for days, weeks, months or years... and stayed quiet...

Just like the others in the hospitals, pharmacies, clinics who found out, and still readily admitted they would go along, yes, for the mnoneeueeyu ..... they let it continue without making a scene, without alerting nor warning anyone... and said without hesitation that they preferred the money... (when they thought I was 'one of them', and I was still working in their system...) ....

So, then, what good are any so-called "ethics" when they can be bought so cheaplyu?

2. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Unlike my own, my wife has great work ethics. Then again, she has three college degrees, as in: two AA's and a Bachelors. My salaries, compared to hers? Plainly she made darn good salaries. As for me, the highest hourly rate I ever made was $14.50 per hour at 55 years old.

3. Jeff Elohim

Registered

In general, as someone's/ anyone's pay goes over $14.50 per hour or more, their ethics have often already disappeared or soon do disappear.

The other pharmacy personal I asked straight out ALL admitted they stayed and wanted the MONEY... not the truth ..... and that was with salaries or wages anywhere from 20,000.00 to 200,000.00 per year, and any age person 'qualified' ....

It is sorely grievous that so few anywhere escaped the clutches of money.... i.e. ethics is for sale.... the more money, the less ethical the profession population....

4. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

Baloney!! Just not true.

Hoot Crawford likes this.
  5. Herb Durant

Herb Durant Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

For the past 35 years I've been working in the aviation industry are work ethics and standards are second to none we cant afford to make mistakes and yes we are all well paid.

Hoot Crawford likes this.
  6. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I don't know if all ethics are gone. I know that I've seen people do some pretty egregious stuff to advance their careers, but that's what was required of them...their behaviour was rewarded. So is that a lack of ethics?

On the other hand, I've not been willing to play those games, but a large part of that is my unwillingness to be that obliged to another person for my career. So I've kept myself in positions where my work product has kept me employed, while my unwillingness to get into bed with corporate folks has hampered my career and income. (I was in a corporate purchasing management career, so had all sorts of opportunities available and all sorts of pressures applied.)

But ethics are more than behaviour...they are also motives.

So while I have refused to do unethical things because they were unethical (I crossed a belligerent boss who tried to undermine the company and sabotage a customer just to get even with someone), at what point does my "I refuse to be dependent on you" personality become a significant motivator (and even a point of arrogance), rather than "I did it because it was the right thing to do"?

Appearances are everything...but they're not, really.

Al Amoling likes this.
  7. Hoot Crawford

Hoot Crawford Veteran Member
    Registered

I think this is called "projecting". :D

8. Jeff Elohim

Registered

And "Nothing that is hidden will stay hidden - it will all be revealed"
    and "Proclaim (project?) the Truth from the house tops ! Be not quiet at the injustice and fraud...

9. Jeff Elohim

Registered

Yes, and it is systemic though most professions including air travel/ production/ medical/ politics/ any corporation that works for profits and ignores and covers up what would be helpful and less expensive and more reliable.
    Thus what men hold up in "high esteem" as if it was good,
    is actually harmful, destructive to people and their well being actually.

10. Peter Renfro

Peter Renfro Veteran Member
    Registered

Actually it's called "networking". You cannot move past an entry level position without a modicum of ass kissing. Ask Cody, He claims he had an independent streak, and now he has SS. Cody, I am not trying disrespect you at all.
    It doesn't have to be overt. The higher the position the more political skill is required.
    Ethics or lack thereof are the same from dog catcher to president. Some have them some don't. Ethics are naturally skewed by the spoon that feeds you.

11. Hoot Crawford

Hoot Crawford Veteran Member
    Registered

lol - nice try, but nope. :rolleyes:

12. Jeff Elohim

Registered

haha.... same yesterday, today, and forever....

so not nope.... the truth cannot be changed .....

13. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I'd agree with this. And my experience has also taught me that ethics can be subjective, just as our individual definitions of "a good place to work" can be (and as can be the definition of "fair.") One person's compromise might absolutely confound someone else that notice were even taken in the first place...and neither is more right than the other.

I was 15 years into my business career when I was going to night classes and took a Philosophy class and Business Ethics. It was rather interesting to have experienced the reality of things and then sit in a classroom discussing the theoretical.

14. Herb Durant

Herb Durant Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

America must trust are work ethics we got are first USMC aircraft in today TheUSAF aircraft will also arrive in a few weeks.