Wonderama & Other Boyhood Shows

Discussion in 'Other Reminiscences' started by Frank Sanoica, Jul 16, 2018.

1. Vinny Waccio

Vinny Waccio Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I used to watch Wonderama every week. I have one vivid memory of it. They had a few people from Mensa do all sorts of math an memory things. I remember vividly thinking that I wished I could be that smart to join Mensa. I knew I would make it since 13 when they gave me an IQ test and put me in classes for gifted students. So it was not a matter of seeing if I could make it when I joined it for one year in my late 40's, but rather filling the dream of the little boy who long ago wished for it after watching Wonderama.

Another memory is about Bozo the Clown. I wrote in for tickets and got a pair. My female cousin went with me since I was very young. When we got there we were told that Bozo was sick and the taping was cancelled. My heart was broken. However I became a Magician in my late teens and frequented the Magic stores and met Bozo there and we talked a little bit.

My most heartbreaking moment was when I was going to the Howdy Doody show with my cousin. This was my favorite show at the time. However I hard a slight fever and my mother would not let me go. I got to see my cousin on TV and I could have been sitting next to him. I still have not forgiven my mother for that one.

These were my mainstay shows along with Captain Video. Fond memories.

2. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Vinny Waccio
    Greetings! Having read this: "I am an Amateur Radio Operator, enjoy collection knives and guns,....",
    I would have preferred the option of posting this privately to you via PM. However, that option was not presented........so, I am greatly interested in finding out how Amateur Radio has progressed since my own awareness of it began when I was a pre-teen. A co-worker of my Dad's (they were tool & die makers in Chicago) was an Amateur Radio buff who often came to our house to check tubes in our Philco TV. He told me of the ARRL Log Book, which I obtained, thick, soft black-covered thing listing all of the commonly available vacuum tubes. His name was Ray Divis, and his call-letters were W9LXH; why I remember such drivel, I dunno. Talking early 1950s here.

As I got "into" electronics more and more, as a sophomore in high school, I built a Tesla Coil using a power transformer out of my folks' old Stromberg-Carlson radio; it had plate voltage supply of 800 volts, my machine using two 811-A Power Triodes in an oscillator circuit for the primary coil. Took first place, high school science fair! I was by then messing with potentially lethal things obviously, and had in 8th. grade managed to receive 2nd. degree burns to my face and right hand mixing some stuff in my big porcelain mortar & pestle.

Firearms are yet another interest, for discussion elsewhere. Curious as to why your profile prevents use of PMs.
    Frank

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  3. Vinny Waccio

Vinny Waccio Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I just joined and did not pay much attention to the settings. I will fix it so message me later an we can catch up. A lot has happened in ham radio.

Frank Sanoica likes this.