Wife Having A Terrible Time!

Discussion in 'Senior Employment' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Oct 21, 2019.

1. Peter Renfro

Peter Renfro Veteran Member
    Registered

I am glad that she is "totally fine" you you letting her pull the freight. Just not the kind of guy I am. If you get desperate enough, perhaps you will see your way clear to do that manual labor that is so far beneath you!

Mary Robi and Beth Gallagher like this.
  2. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't think he said physical labor is beneath him.He stated some health problems like hip replacement etc., etc.

3. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

That's what an 85 year old man called us when we lived in Jacksonville, Florida. We didn't just call ourselves that word, he did.

Making excuses about what? Her trying like heck to find a job, but only a job within her experience, which I agree with. As for me, I don't want to work again and that's fine with her. I do enough at home, plus get my SS each month.

4. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

No pensions, but do have both SS and IRA. We do a number of things to save money, like: (sometimes) sharing a dinner meal out, only buying a 1/2 gallon of milk (instead of a full gallon), buying a 6-pack of 8oz beer (instead of 12oz), making a dinner out into two meals and so on and so on.

5. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Will never/ever take a job with manual labor! I can totally guarantee anyone that. I've seen my years of "manual labor" when I worked in a warehouse and was so, so, so glad to get into Purchasing and work in an office. There are those that love manual labor, like my brother, and those that don't and won't do it. I'm that kind...…."don't and won't". The most manual labor I get into is working on our boat, but leave electrical and engine work to the marine mechanics.

I love using a computer and am darn good at it. My WPM (words per minute) typing is around 70. Yes, I'm that fast and do have to look at the keyboard at all.

Anyway, just how can she be "pulling the freight" when I get SS in each month???

6. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

No Lon, Peter is totally correct...…..physical labor, on a job, is totally beneath me! I've been an office/computer person since 1989 and absolutely loved it. However, due to two rotator cuff surgeries (one on each shoulder) and a hip replacement, physical labor is no longer and hasn't been, part of my vocabulary.

7. Lon Tanner

Registered

Cody You really do a terrible job explaining your self . When you say a job is totally beneath you most people would interpret that as saying you are too good for manual labor.

Beth Gallagher and Al Amoling like this.
  8. Lon Tanner

Registered

Do you own any homes or real estate? Why & for what are you saving for?

Last edited: May 20, 2020
  9. Lois Winters

Lois Winters Veteran Member
    Registered

How can you draw a salary for a job and receive Social Security Benefits at the same time? You draw Social Security when you retire from working. I am 87, Cody and I'd no more call your wife a youngster than I'd call my 70 yr. old brother or 73 yr. old sister a youngster. I do think age is something that frightens both you and your wife, but it is a fact. We get old. Good lord, you cannot stay young forever. You may feel pretty youthful, I know I do, but I am realistic enough to realize that my generation has seen better days as has yours and your wife's.

10. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Some people think that they are too good to do manual labor, @Lon Tanner , and if they have someone who is working and supporting their non-working lifestyle, they can choose to do pretty much whatever they please.
    Some of us have not had that choice, when we had to take care of ourself and our family.

I have worked in the hops fields, in the Christmas tree industry, sorting potatoes, gone door to door for Animal Control to hand out violation notices, and other outside jobs that were really hard work, and long days in both heat and in freezing weather.
    It had to be done.
    When I was able to, I did choose inside jobs, especially as I got older, and the children were grown. Then I only had to be concerned about supporting myself.

11. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Lon, there are people in America, like a CEO, CFO, Financial Analyst, lawyer, doctor and on and on that would say the same thing. Not everyone is into manual labor!

12. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

No home (anymore). My wife made a much, much higher salary than I did, before and after meeting her. She has two AA Degrees and a Bachelors. The highest salary I ever made was $15 per hour.

Between her SS and mine, we do ok, but she'd still like to go back to work.

We have a 20' powerboat that isn't cheap for upkeep, but it is our main entertainment.

Last edited: May 20, 2020
  13. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Lois, a person can start getting SS (Early Retirement) at age 62, but if working, a certain amount will be taken out of the SS each month, depending on the salary a person is getting at work.

My wife, applied for and got, full SS Retirement benefits at age 67. At that age, she can make as much money as she wants to and not get a cent taken out of her SS.

An 85 year old man called us "youngsters", because he was 15 years older. Don't ask me, but he considered us "youngsters" compared to his age.

14. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

@Cody Fousnaugh ..
    At 72 and with all that is going on world wide....maybe she is suppose to stay home.
    Highly commendable her wanting to still work, but feel the odds are aganist her.

15. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

IOW, Yvonne, for many jobs, a high college degree, as in Bachelors, Masters, Phd don't generally do manual labor jobs. I don't manual labor jobs in warehousing until I learned about Purchasing and Inventory Management. That's when I got my own office, computer and phone. After that, I never again gave a thought to any kind of manual labor. The old saying "enough is enough" was my saying about manual labor.

I worked for a fence building company for 1/2 day and quit. Just didn't have the physical thing to do that type of work. I also tried putting up drywall and that only lasted for an hour, before I quit that job.