Why Face Masks Don't Work

Discussion in 'Viruses' started by Dwight Ward, Jul 15, 2020.

1. Dwight Ward

Dwight Ward Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I don't come down hard on either side of this.

2. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Veteran Member
    Registered

Always opposites of opinion, you really do have to decide for yourself

Maggie Mae and Gloria Mitchell like this.
  3. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

A face mask brings me some peace of mind that at least I am doing something to protect myself, even if it is effective only some of the time. In a way it's like what a motorcycle helmet will do. While the virus is physically small and can fit between the mask's fibers, some may contact a fiber and get stuck.

4. Gloria Mitchell

Gloria Mitchell Veteran Member
    Registered

Condoms weren't suppose to work either...but beats the hell out of nothing versus fears of disease, and try to curb pregnancy.

5. Thomas Stearn

Thomas Stearn Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

They do:

"Among 139 clients exposed to two symptomatic hair stylists with confirmed COVID-19 while both the stylists and the clients wore face masks, no symptomatic secondary cases were reported; among 67 clients tested for SARS-CoV-2, all test results were negative. Adherence to the community’s and company’s face-covering policy likely mitigated spread of SARS-CoV-2."
    https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6928e2.htm?s_cid=mm6928e2_w

Nancy Hart likes this.
  6. Dwight Ward

Dwight Ward Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I'm of the same opinion, Ed.

7. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

8. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

Since our state now requires masks/face coverings at any public place, we have been wearing them when we go grocery shopping and t the fitness center. I have been wearing the garden hat/mask and I can breathe better in that, but still not getting anywhere near enough oxygen, and am gasping for air by the time I even try to walk anywhere.
    It looks like this is going to go on until after the election is over, so I ordered a set of the clear face shields and those came today. I like it better than anything that I have tried thus far. I can see better because the mask is not covering near the bottom of my eyes, and I can breathe much better because there is a space between my face and the covering.
    If anyone else has heart or lung issues that causes breathing problems, I definitely recommend the clear face covering.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  9. Ken Anderson

I am not going to run out and buy one of these either, but the shields at least make some sort of sense, unlike the dumbass masks, which do more harm than good and look stupid besides. I'm sure there are other makers, but the InstaShield products are made in the United States. RevMark is another US producer of them. If you're gonna be scared, at least do something that has a chance of being useful, as they also provide eye protection. I've seen some that connect onto a cap, and others that connect onto eyeglasses.

instashield.jpg

You could also walk into Walmart wearing a welding mask. That might be fun.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2020
    Bobby Cole likes this.
  10. Trevalius Guyus

Trevalius Guyus Well-Known Member
    Registered

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6800048/

A challenging read, for some, but, in essence, the conclusion lets you know that the mask certifications are not accurate for particles less than 100 nm in diameter. CV19 has a diameter of ~.1 nm. Uh-oh.........

Even with the above in mind, I religiously wear two masks when out and about: a common, paper-like, surgical mask, under an N95 mask. Yeah, maybe not great, but it makes me feel that I'm protected, to a better extent than those who go mask-less.

11. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Not wearing a mask can lead to confrontations with others. A lady in a grocery wearing one asked a guy and gal not wearing any to please do, and the guy spit in her face and got arrested for assault. My grocery has signs all over saying no mask, no service. They had a security guy there for a while so I guess some would not comply.

Frank Sanoica and Maggie Mae like this.
  12. Ken Anderson

13. Maggie Mae

Maggie Mae Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Exactly what should have happened to that person and maybe he will think twice before being an a$$wipe again .. doubt it but ya never know.

It's not that big of a deal .. some of you are so freaking annoying with your mockery that what it will take is for YOU to catch this virus before you will stop being jerks.

Don't wear a mask but stay away from all the other people who want to protect themselves. Break the rules and the laws and suffer the consequences.

Get off your high horse and just cooperate. You keep saying it doesn't work ... you DO NOT know that.

You pick and choose snippets and post those as fact.

Fact is that areas that masked and social distance do find themselves with fewer cases than those who are all open and taking no precautions.

You want to prove it .. cool !

Put on the damn mask and wear it .. prove that it didn't work !

YOU are putting people like me and many others at risk with your "protests".

It is not the flu .. it is a virus and it is very contagious to ALL ages of humans and even to some animals.

Yep .. another tirade .. deal with it ! wearamaskhole.jpg

14. Ken Anderson

That's backwards thinking. Generally, we prove something works before we mandate it, not the other way around. I know they are not going to keep me or you safe but, unlike you, I am perfectly okay with you doing whatever you think you need to do to be safe, as long as it doesn't require something of me that I am not willing to give. If in order for you to feel safe, I have to be required to do something that I know to be unsafe, you're just not going to be able to get me to do it. My rights don't end where your fears begin.

I'm not making demands of anyone else. Wear your masks if it makes you feel safer, or if you think you need to do that in order to be a good citizen. Personally, I think everyone should quit smoking and drinking, and I strongly believe that we would all be in a better position if everyone accepted Christ as their Savior - I would feel very safe if everyone around me was a Christian - but I recognize that it's not my place to dictate health or religious choices to someone else. You do what you think you need to do to feel safe, and I'll do what I believe that I need to do.

I believe the answer is in preparing to survive the virus rather than hiding behind a mask. Clearly, you prefer a mask. Wear it, and I wish you well. I don't wish you ill because you disagree with me. I'm not angry with you because you disagree with me, but you're angry.

From his behavior at the ball game, it's clear that Dr. Fauci doesn't take the mask requirements seriously, except in that he expects others to follow them. The same is true of our governor, who requires others to wear masks while she is rarely seen with a mask on. She even makes announcements about the things she is telling others to do, while two or three other people are standing behind her, not one of them following the very mask and distancing rules she's talking about.

So, it seems clear to me that the people who are requiring the masks don't consider the practice to be particularly important. From my own training in the uses of a mask, I agree.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2020
    Don Alaska and Bobby Cole like this.
  15. Maggie Mae

Maggie Mae Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

It's very clear you are not going to anything to help the situation because you are all butt hurt over your "rights".

What you are not considering are the rights of all the other people you are helping to jeopardize.

You can not give a simple reason why you can't wear a mask to help the common health of everyone.

And something as asinine as a net mask is just spitting in the face of everyone.

You are not making points .. you are showing how thoughtless and selfish you are.

Get over yourself and try showing some consideration for other people.

When people make comments here you are all sorts of rude and snarky if it doesn't fit your needs.

We should be able to have a discussion and unfortunately you have become someone who makes fun of and belittles anyone who doesn't think the way you do.

No ..we are not all going to think the same way .. but ... to mock others is just plain rude and stirring the pot to keep things going.

You tell me "that's backwards thinking" .. perhaps but at least it is thinking and considering unlike you who just insist your rights are being violated and you refuse to have any part of helping a worldwide problem.

Bragging about going into a business that want people to wear a mask with that nonsense you call a mask is .. again .. making a mockery of a real problem.

It gets old ... real old .. when there are problems that might be helped but people don't want to try helping.

If you get this virus it could cost you your life and you don't even seem to care. If you don't get it you could be a carrier and infect your family or friends and you don't even seem to care.

We all need to believe the way we believe but we also need to use a little common sense and perhaps show an ounce of compassion for someone besides ourselves - and especially when there is clearly a serious problem out there.

You say your rights don't end where my fears begin .. well my rights don't end where your selfish attitude begins.

Keep pressing your luck .. you will eventually pay the piper .. illness, death, arrest .. just keep taunting .. what a waste of time and life.

You are so active in so many organizations and groups and you do good things to help those .. how about some of that for the world ?