When Irish Eyes Are Smiling

Discussion in 'Holidays & Traditions' started by Lara Moss, Feb 28, 2016.

1. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

Top O' the Morn to ya'
    from
    Ina

& lara
    st.jpg

Come one and all as we Celebrate the
    Best of Ireland!

And don't forget to visit Krissttina's Potluck Party over in the Food section!

"When Irish Eyes are Smiling"

Post your favorite
    Irish History & Culture

Irish Jokes
    Pub Songs
    Music of Ireland
    Celtic songs and harps
    Fiddle music and flute
    Irish jigs and dances
    Write your own Limericks that are saucy but clean
    Pets & Critters dressed up or posing with all things Irish
    Photos of Ireland aka the Emerald Isle
    Emeralds and Celtic jewelry
    Guinness and Non-Alcoholic "Mocktails"
    Rainbows
    White Lilies (which symbolize good luck)
    Parades
    Irish Hats
    Notre Dame fighting Irish football team
    ...and anything else you can think of
    :D

Last edited: Feb 28, 2016
  2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

3. Chrissy Cross

Registered

An Irish Joke....let me know if it's improper for the forum. I did get it off another forum but ya never know. :)

Into a Belfast pub comes Paddy Murphy,

Looking like he'd just been run over by a train.

His arm is in a sling, his nose is broken,

His face is cut and bruised and he's walking

with a limp

"What happened to you?" asks Sean, the

bartender.

" Jamie O'Conner and me had a fight," says

Paddy.

"That little crap, O'Conner," says Sean,

"He couldn't do that to you. He must have

had something in his hand."

"That he did," says Paddy, "a shovel is what

he had, and a terrible lickin' he gave me with it."

" Well," says Sean, "you should have

defended yourself, didn't you have something

in your hand?"

"That I did," said Paddy. "Mrs. O'Conner's

breast, and a thing of beauty it was, but

useless in a fight."

4. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

Last edited: Feb 29, 2016
  5. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm sorry I am late to this opening, but I had to go stand in as baby sitter for one of my great grandchildren, because mommy was working over at her job, and I forgot my iPad and iPhone. Senior moment!! I never get asked over so I jump at the chance, although they live 35 miles from me. Maybe this will help.

The Irtish played a large part of establishing this country's first transportation infrastructure. It was called the transcontinental Railrord. Over 3,000 Irish immigrant worked for the Union Pacific railroad going from the West to to East, as the Chiness went from the East to the West. The Irish made up 1/4 to 1/3 of the total work force. Many of the Irish workers were part of the Civil War veterans, or new immigrant that were still coming over and needing and takin jobs many did not want.

image.jpeg

Many towns sprang up from the canvas tent camps that house the Irish laborer, so that is how many of our largest cities came about, much less the in numerical whistle stops in between.

The Irish also built the Empire State Building on the old site of the Waldorf Astorria Hotel at 350 Fifrh Avenue, starting in March of 1939, and finishing 14 month later in May of 1931. The 102 stories made it the tallest structure in the world for sometime. The Empire State Building was built by the Irish from positions as high as power brokers to those who inviisioned the whole project to the laborer's that walked the steel.

Here are some pictures that photographer Lewis Hines took of those courageous Irishmen.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 28, 2016
  6. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

Wow, Ina. A fascinating post and, oh, those photos :eek:. It only took them 14 months to build the Empire State Building? That boggles the mind. They sure were hard workers and made such a contribution to America. God love 'em all.

When I think of what I've accomplished in 14 months it's laughable...well my excuse is it's my first year of retirement :rolleyes:. But now I'm inspired to get moving. That was such an amazing, intelligent post and then I come along and post this…. :D

irish_wristwatch.jpg

Diane Lane and Chrissy Cross like this.
  7. Ina I. Wonder

Registered

That is hard to say, much less three time, here goes. Ribit, Ribit, Ribit,

Whenever I get pictures of the Irish in my head I see certain colors. There is a Kelly green that comes to mind, but I always think of leprechauns and their bright greens.

I cans see dragons and ancient jewelry, and I've always wondered if that was were green roses first started. I know it is a chemical thing, but I bet an Irishman came up with it.

The Irish come up with the most amazing tall tales, and they generally have a quirky twist to them.

Here are a few pictures that make me think of Irish colors and tall tales.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

8. Ina I. Wonder

Registered

9. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Thanks! Ina....interesting posts especially the first one.

Lara Moss likes this.
  10. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

A charming tour through Clare in Doolin County, home of Irish music. He talks with the villagers, jams with them, visits a Pub, etc:

21933_145916990451a26b50b586e.jpg

11. Chrissy Cross

Registered

[​IMG]
    The Irish tricolor (Pic: Jeremy O’Donnell/Getty Images)at some of the less well-known idioms and sayings that the Irish nation has given the world? There’s a lot of wisdom here—some of it clearly learned the hard way.

• May you have the hindsight to know where you’ve been, the foresight to know where you are going, and the insight to know when you have gone too far.

• You’ve got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your father was.

• It is often that a person’s mouth broke his nose.

• May the roof above you never fall in and those gathered beneath it never fall out.

• Lose an hour in the morning, and you’ll be looking for it all day.

(When a friend can’t change a stubborn person’s mind) You might as well be whistling jigs to a milestone.

• Honey is sweet, but don’t lick it off a briar.

• If you buy what you don’t need, you might have to sell what you do.

• Forgetting a debt doesn’t mean it’s paid.

• It is better to spend money like there’s no tomorrow than to spend tonight like there’s no money.

(To be said of someone who is unhelpful) She’s fit to mind mice at a crossroads.

• It’s easy to halve the potato where there’s love.

• Where the tongue slips, it speaks the truth.

• A good laugh and a long sleep are the two best cures.

• You’ll never plow a field by turning it over in your mind.

(To be said of someone who outstays their welcome) If that man went to a wedding, he’d stay for the christening.

• Drink is the curse of the land. It makes you fight with your neighbor. It makes you shoot at your landlord—and it makes you miss him.

• If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at who He gives it to!

• No man ever wore a scarf as warm as his daughter’s arm around his neck.

• A family of Irish birth will argue and fight, but let a shout come from without, and see them all unite.

(To be said of an unfortunate friend) She is always in the field when luck is on the road.

• There is no luck except where there is discipline.

• In every land, hardness is in the north of it, softness in the south, industry in the east, and fire and inspiration in the west.

(To be said of someone who is very organized) If he’s not fishing, he’s mending his nets.

• Here’s to a long life and a merry one. A quick death and an easy one. A pretty girl and an honest one. A cold pint and another one!

Sources: Ask Men, Island Ireland, Ireland Central.

Yvonne Smith and Lara Moss like this.
  12. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

....and the rest O'the day to you, Lara!:D Sorry I am late for your party,I've been derelict in me duties, I have!:D
    seasonal-celebrations-st-st_patricks_day-patricks_day-saint-saints_day-ghrn292_low.jpg

Lara Moss and Chrissy Cross like this.
  13. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

14. Ina I. Wonder

Registered

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg The Sheelin Irish Lace Museum in Ireland tells the story of how Ireland became famous for its lace industry.

Have you ever watched someone make lace? I've always been amazed at the beautiful intricacy of lace making. Today almost all lace in Ireland is produced with machines, but at one time it was produced on looms in many Irish homes. This became known as cottage industries.

In the 1800's Ireland was divided into the wealthy lords who owned the land, and the tenants paupers who produced the crops for the owners. Many families lived in cottages called crofts. Families grew their own food on land not used for crops grown for the Lords. Most crofters were 'dirt poor' with the lack of land which was so rocky that they were perpetually depleteing the soil.

The land was so rocky and poor only potatoes would grow. The crofters grew a few vegetables and grains, but even the cost of seeds was too much of an expense for tenant farmers. When the potatoe blight swept across Ireland between 1845 thru 1851 it meant starvation for many thousands of households.

Many of the Ursuline nuns located in Ireland were familiar with Venetian lace that had come from France. Since the women of Ireland had been producing a rough cloth for their families for generations, the nuns realized the opportunity that their skills presented to help save the people from famine. The nuns began teaching many girls and women to produce fine crochet that was to become known as 'Irish lace'. The wealthier Irish families that could afford to buy the lace earned the name of "Lace Curtain Irish".

Designs and motifs were developed by each family, and the patterns were closely guarded secrets passed down from mothers to daughters. The details were kept so secret that many of them were lost as the families either died or fled the poverty for other lands,

Here are a few examples of the famous Irish lace.

15. Ina I. Wonder

Registered

The Irish have brought us all kinds of things. As a child I was always reading of myths and legends. Ireland was one of my favorite childhood escape places to go in books. The Irish were said to be fey, clairvoyant, and otherworldly. Some their stories scared me, and some made me wish I could really live in the worlds they suggested. Here are a couple that I found on www.toptenz.net.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Joe Riley and Chrissy Cross like this.