When A Widow/widower Remarries?

Discussion in 'Not Sure Where it Goes' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Jan 29, 2016.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

What financially do they lose?

My wife found out that she lost her deceased husbands SS benefits, because she remarried (me) before she turned 60. When we were down at SS Office signing her up for SS FRA (Full Retirement Age), she asked then to look up her deceased husbands SS benefits. The found him and his benefit was $1,500. As they were getting ready to sign her up, they asked her at what age she married me.........bad question! She was 50. They automatically told her "sorry, you don't qualify any longer. You remarried to early." To say the least, we were both shocked, but that was that. We would have had to live together for 10 years in order for her to get his benefits. She didn't even give it a thought about asking about those benefits when he died and SS didn't let her know (that she remembers).

I think I've also heard of other "benefit" things that a widow or widower wouldn't get if they remarried at all. Any ideas what these are?

Know I know why some men and women don't ever want to remarry, because they'd lose spousal benefits.

Bonnie Thomas likes this.
  2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I may lose my widows benefits if I marry but I'm not sure. Not worried about it because I have no plans to marry anybody.

I didn't get them til I turned 60 or 62 and he died when I was 53.

Ina I. Wonder likes this.
  3. Bonnie Thomas

Bonnie Thomas Veteran Member
    Registered

I don't know what all the "rules" are either. I'm an old widow getting my husband's full SS benefit now ... and it will stay that way ..
    But If a RICH guy came along and wanted to marry me ( yeah right!) I don't think I would worry about SS benefits that I would lose ... but, yes, RICH is the key word..:D

Marrying a poor guy would make for two really poor people!:(

4. Chrissy Cross

Registered

You get your husband's full amount, Bonnie? I get 3/4.

5. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

Gee, this is a sad case for widows and widowers as if they are not given the second chance to be happy again.Truly, finances is the main concern of aged people particularly those retired already. And that $1,500 is big money especially if there are no more dependents to take care of. But if that would happen to me, it is like choosing between the guy and the pension... I would choose the guy any time of the day.

6. Bonnie Thomas

Registered

You will get 100% when you reach full retirement age Chrissy. ... I am, and I do.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
  7. Chrissy Cross

Registered

65? Even if didn't work enough to earn enough get my own.

In 4 months I'll be getting more money? Of course it will come back out for medicare. They always have everything perfectly figured out.

8. Bonnie Thomas

Registered

Here is their chart .. https://www.ssa.gov/planners/retire/retirechart.html

Does this help ... I know they make it as confusing as possible.

My husband started getting his full retirement package, and then he died while I was already full retirement age. I lost all my benefits then, and started collecting his.

Medicare went up this year .... so that came out of monthly benefit ..$2 less SS a month for me.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
    Chrissy Cross likes this.
  9. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Thanks Bonnie.

Seems I'm not full retirement age til 66!

10. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Right!

11. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Yes, Medicare, a Supplement to Medicare and the Rx Plan cost a monthly premium (for us, that is). We are paying close to $500 a month for the both of us. We are getting Dental and Vision thru the company she is working for.

12. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Well since I wasn't expecting any increase at all, waiting til 66 is no big deal...actually a bonus.

I haven't decided what supplemental I'm going to go with for medicare but my dental is free.

I may just choose a PPO, my dr recommended one tnat they use. If I'm out of state and not covered, they'll just have to eat my cost or I'll pay a small amt monthly. I have nothing that anyone can take. Everything has been in a trust for a long time now.

13. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Free Dental???

14. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Yes, both of my children are Dentists.

15. Bonnie Thomas

Registered

It's all about how old you are at the time Cody... and I was wrong about losing benefits ...

This site states the different scenarios. (SS site states the same)

http://www.fool.com/retirement/gene...curity-how-divorce-and-remarriage-affect.aspx

"The rules for survivor benefits are different and more generous. If you remarry before reaching the age of 60, then the same rules apply as for spousal benefits, and you'll therefore lose any eligibility for survivor benefits based on your ex-spouse's work history. But if you wait until age 60 or later to remarry, you won't lose eligibility for those survivor benefits. Moreover, you'll keep open the option of claiming higher benefits based on your new spouse's work at a later date."

Chrissy Cross likes this.