What's For Breakfast Today?

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Diane Lane, Feb 17, 2016.

1. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I ate it when I was growing up because I had to, but then once I got out into the working world, I'd often put off eating anything until at least mid-morning, because I wasn't hungry first thing in the morning.

When I started taking morning classes then rushing off to work and working long hours, I began eating breakfast again. I would have a quick bowl of cereal, and I started having blood sugar problems. It would often plunge shortly after eating the cereal, usually during my commute, or shortly after arriving at work or school. The issue was so bad that my coworkers/friends would accompany me to the rest room in case I passed out. All from breakfast cereal that's sold on every grocery store aisle. I stopped eating cereal, and started learning to eat better, and the hypoglycemia issues went away.

Nowadays, I usually have something fairly small, such as an egg and toast. That may seem like a lot to some, and a little to others, but it usually feels just right to me. This morning I supplemented with a slice of cheese because it was calling to me. I've learned to listen to these cravings over the years, and the cheesy egg hit the spot.

Do you eat breakfast? If so, what type of food do you eat? Have your eating patterns changed over the years? Have you noticed any particular effects from what you eat?

Attached Files:

2. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

I've never been a breakfast eater, the very thought of food in the mornings would always make me feel queasy...but for the last couple of years I've had to learn to eat breakfast because of the meds which have to be taken before and after eating in the morning.

So...when I'm working, I take just a 1/2 slice of wholemeal toast and marmalade ...and that's as much as I can face..

On my days off..I'll do the same first thing....but an hour or 2 later I could have anything at all...so I may (like this morning) have Blinis with blue cheese ...or I might have a bacon and egg sandwich on wholemeal..or maybe a bowl of porridge oats..

I do like breakfast...but I just can't eat it early ...Mid morning is fine, I'm ready for it by then and it doesn't cause me an upset stomach!

3. Diane Lane

Registered

That's how I used to be, too, @Holly Saunders. I wasn't hungry early in the mornings, and I really couldn't face the thought of food when I first woke up, for many years. It's good that you've found something that works for you, and you're able to stomach it. I guess actually, I am usually awake for an hour or two in bed before I even get up, so I'm still not eating first thing in the morning, but I am still eating earlier than I used to. It's just a habit now, since I have to get up and fix food for my cats, the strays, and the fish (when I have some), so it seems the easiest time to prepare a meal for myself, too. I've always loved breakfast, especially with lots of variety, but like you, not first thing in the morning. I love breakfast for dinner.

4. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

I would like to have a big breakfast every morning but seldom do. Bacon, sausage, ham, eggs, grits, biscuits, toast, French toast, pancakes, maple syrup , oats......Not all at once but some combination of those would be on my menu.

5. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Supreme Member
    Registered

I also need an hour or two before eating after waking up. Then it will be anything at all. I've never been tied to "breakfast foods" at a certain time of day. I like traditional breakfast food but it can be anything; a bowl of soup, a ham sandwich, tomato sandwich, left-over pizza, left-over anything. I'm not crazy about most cereals or sweet cereals like granolas. This morning I had an egg salad sandwich on whole wheat bread with arugula (rocket).

Terry Page and Holly Saunders like this.
  6. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I can eat the minute I wake up, probably because I don't eat anything after my early dinner which is around 4:30-5:00. I may have a sugar free popsicle but that's it. So by 4-5 am, I am starving and will eat as soon as I drink my coffee.

I can also eat anything for breakfast, doesnt have to be breakfast food. I can also eat breakfast food for dinner and do many times.

I'm a weird eater and it makes it difficult when I travel to sons especially since they don't eat dinner til 8 and I'm ready to pass out from hunger. I usually eat something then will save what he made for lunch.

7. Diane Lane

Registered

This morning, breakfast was tea, an apple and Pedialyte. Ugh, I just got back up a while ago. I had an allergic reaction early this morning. Nothing life threatening, but something from the front yard touched my ankle yesterday when I was out there working, and set me off. Thankfully, I had cortisone cream and Benadryl (I always have that for the cats), but the Benadryl will keep me napping all day.

I love big breakfasts like what @Sheldon Scott mentioned, but not first thing in the morning. I used to like the Southern Slam when I first moved down here, and I love what CrackerBarrel has on their menu, and I guess I replicate those at home. Some days I'll get a craving for grits and make them, other days biscuits and gravy, but eggs and bacon, and especially french toast are almost always welcome here.

Terry Page and Ruby Begonia like this.
  8. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

You poor thing, hope you stay well. I do eat breakfast. We like at our home oatmeal with dried fruits like raisins and cranberries add nuts like walnut, we add ground flaxseed, colon cleanse which looks like meta, sunflower and pumpkin seeds too. My Mom likes to add milk and I add Stevia. Dr. Oz show once said that Stevia or Monk fruit sugar substitutes are better for you so I switched to it. We also eat veggie bacon, eggs and frozen waffles. Spam and eggs with rice or Vienna Sausage with eggs & rice too. Mostly oatmeal though for breakfast. We loved french toast that I dipped in egg and vanilla, but it got too rich for our health, so I stopped making french toast altogether. Sometimes it's cereal like Trix and Honey Nut Cheerios or sandwiches. We also eat soybean that's frozen and peeled with mayo and bacon bits for breakfast once in a while too.

Terry Page likes this.
  9. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

During weekends, we eat breakfast at 7am, often it is fried rice but regularly it is the morning bread called pandesal. Sometimes we have pasta or noodles. But on weekdays, I hie off to the office by 5:30am so my breakfast is in the office. The taho vendor would be waiting by the side of the office building. Taho is similar to bean curd that is flavored with a syrup and sago. At other times I eat breakfast in the office canteen, mostly salad and soup plus bread. Even when I'm on a diet, I never fail to have breakfast because I know that it is the most important meal.

10. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

I guess it depends where I am, at home and here in Russia I don't usually have breakfast apart from a cup of kefir perhaps, then usually one large meal midday and that's it till the following day.
    When I vacation I revert to a breakfast if it's provided and on planes I take the breakfast offered, like some others here, I can eat anything but am never actually hungry in the mornings.

Sheldon Scott likes this.
  11. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Well it's 9.30am here now..I've been up for 2 and a half hours so I've just had 4 Bilini's , topped with a little smoked trout & blue cheese for breakfast...

Chrissy Cross and Sheldon Scott like this.
  12. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

This morning after one cup of coffee I had one sausage patty and one egg. I'm now on my second cup of coffee.

Chrissy Cross and Ruby Begonia like this.
  13. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

I do eat breakfast every morning and it is usually a mug of flavored coffee with flavored creamer and a variety of Toaster Strudel. My eating patterns have changed over the years to eating alot to eating alot less and not enjoying food as much as I used to. In my past sometimes it seemed like "I lived to eat!" but now "I eat to live!" :) My cup of coffee and toaster strudel is my one indulgence every day that I look forward to, savor, and balance out the rest of the day with healthy foods.
    good-morning-coffee.jpg 3D_Blueberry.png

Sheldon Scott and Ruby Begonia like this.
  14. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Supreme Member
    Registered

The other hard boiled egg from yesterday on a tomato and arugula salad, 2 slices whole wheat toast. coffee.

Holly Saunders and Chrissy Cross like this.
  15. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

A fried egg over easy and a piece of toasted flaxseed bread to dip in the yolk. Coffee with Splenda and sugar free vanilla flavored powdered creamer. I vary my creamers but they are all sugar free.

Ruby Begonia and Holly Saunders like this.