What Little Things Drive You Up The Wall?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by Arlene Richards, Mar 7, 2016.

1. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

The fumbling for money at the checkout is irritating I agree Terry.... but only if we've stood in the queue for a long time, and the person in front has had ample opportunity to find their wallet or purse and have their money ready. It's almost like it comes as a surprise when they're asked to pay, and suddenly they start ''ohh, errm, yes, let me find some money, and fumbling around, and then bringing out every coupon known to man''...

I always have my card or purse ready after I put the shopping on the conveyor belt so as soon as I pack my shopping ( btw US friends we don't get our groceries packed for us at the checkout) I pay immediately so as not to hold anyone else up longer than necessary

Karen McKenzie and Terry Page like this.
  2. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes I forgot coupons, often a wad of them of which several don't go through, so that has to be checked as well and on it goes :rolleyes::D

Holly Saunders likes this.
  3. Tom Locke

Tom Locke Veteran Member
    Registered

The "light monsters," as we call them. There are people that live in our street who have their living room (and sometimes other) lights blazing away, no matter how bright the day is. Why? Even on the lightest, sunniest and most cloudless day, you can guarantee that the lights will be on full blast. Do these people ever look at their electricity bills? Do they even have working brains?

4. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I always have one light on in the house, Tom. Usually my hall light. It's on 24/7 every single day. Just habit I guess. It hasn't affect my electric bill and I have those long lasting bulbs and they last forever.

@Holly Saunders , we have some stores where you bag your own groceries. The places that pack them for you also want to take them out to the car for you, I always say no thanks.

Holly Saunders and Terry Page like this.
  5. Tom Locke

Tom Locke Veteran Member
    Registered

Ah, but I'm talking about two old-fashioned, incandescent bulbs (ceiling lights) blazing away in someone's living room in full daylight. We don't even use ceiling lights in the dark, just a table lamp with a little low-energy bulb.

6. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I get a report every couple months from my electric company with a smiley face that says I'm doing great. I'm at the top in saving energy so I'm fine. :)

The real reason is that I'm not home for more than 2-3 weeks at a time. This has been the longest I have been in Fresno in years.

Holly Saunders and Terry Page like this.
  7. Holly Saunders

Registered

I've never seen anyone with their house lights on during the day, unless it's really dark and stormy outside ...maybe because we live in the South where it's usually bright and sunny, not Scotland where it's so often dreich!! :p

8. Holly Saunders

Registered

I wish we had bag packers here...and I'd happily let them take it out to the car too.:D..do you have to pay extra for that?

9. Chrissy Cross

Registered

It's alway sunny in Fresno, Holly. Just a habit since I live alone. Always have the hall light on at night and when I go away so my house doesn't look pitch dark. Then I just don't remember to turn it off. Since it's alway so bright I can't even tell its on during the day.

10. Chrissy Cross

Registered

No, some people tip them though I think.

11. Holly Saunders

Registered

I always have lights on , on a timer when I go away too.... but not during the day when I'm at home. I only have a small hallway with a a half glass front door...so it gets all the sun in there , no need for any lighting, but I can understand if you had a big hallway with a solid front door which might not let much light in... but to have lights on during the day in the livingroom etc?..I've never seen that.

12. Holly Saunders

Registered

Out of curiosity why don't you let them take your groceries to the car..I know you have a bad back !! I always find the shopping so heavy trying to get it all into the boot of the car and out again

13. Tom Locke

Tom Locke Veteran Member
    Registered

Now here's one of life's little ironies...despite being pretty sparing in our energy use, our electric supplier informed us this week that our monthly payments were going to increase - wait for it - by a multiple of five. What they were telling us was that we would have to pay more than twice in one month than we have used in the last three. Interesting.

Naturally, we took the view that we should have a small word in their shell-like. It transpired that their clever software calculated our future use on the basis of the freak events of last year when we got flooded out and the insurance people brought in a battery of heavy duty drying equipment. Result: we are back to our original payment scheme.

14. Chrissy Cross

Registered

@Holly Saunders, Because since I shop almost every day, I don't have more than a bag or two at the most.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  15. Holly Saunders

Registered

OMG Cheeky beggars.:eek::eek:...I wonder how many elderly people have been caught out with that one...what supplier are you with Tom?