What Gives You A Great Feeling Of Satisfaction?

Discussion in 'Not Sure Where it Goes' started by Lon Tanner, Feb 24, 2021.

1. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

For me it's getting certain things done that require some physical effort and discomfort because of my limited mobility. Like re arranging a table and chair, washing some clothes, un corking a bottle of wine, using my walker to walk to the dining room, arranging and completing my financial obligations.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Projects around the house.

-Installing an externally-vented range hood
    -Building a cornice
    -Installing a water softener
    -Making a mantelpiece
    -Building a stand for my trash can/microwave/toaster oven
    -Bathroom tear-out

I custom built perches for my gargoyles and learned how to steam trim-wood and bend it.

Gargoyle.jpg

I like doing things that I use and live with on a daily basis.

Susan Paynter and Lon Tanner like this.
  3. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Getting our powerboat/trailer ready for summer. That means, installing batteries and putting everything back on that we took off for winter. Greasing the wheel bearings on the trailer and making sure the trailer lights all work. The engine preparation is done by a qualified marine mechanic, which is definitely not me. LOL My wife takes care of how the boot looks, as in waxing. However, I do the portable buffer to make it shine.

John Brunner likes this.
  4. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I'll double-dip here since there's minimal activity.

I worked with a non-profit that did home repairs for folks in a couple of counties here. I did it for 7 years until finances caused us to shut down. It put me in the lives (and vice versa) of really nice people I would never have otherwise crossed paths with.

Some jobs took 2 of just us a few hours to complete, while others were over 450 man hours. We had one members in his 80s still climbing ladders to paint houses. I had planned on eventually "being him."

Nothing gave us greater satisfaction than helping folks overcome some minor hurdles in their lives. You always get more than you give. But I was only there for 7 years. Some of the members were there for the entire 14 years the outfit existed, and one of them also did the same work through his church a couple of weekends a month, while working a full-time job! I've since tried working with other organizations, but gave up...this was a unique fit for me.

Here is one of the more complex ramps I helped erect (or at least it's the longest.) The guy was in a wheelchair and he needed to enter the house through the patio door that was off the deck on the right side of the house some 6 feet+ off the ground. Notice how we had to cut out the original railing leading to the main entrance so the wheelchair could pass through.

After we were done, I told him that when he pulled into the driveway he could call his wife and say "Honey, I'm home. See you in half an hour!"

IMG_20140607_092227098_HDR - Copy.jpg

Hedi Mitchell and Susan Paynter like this.