What Do Protesters Want?

Discussion in 'Protests & Riots' started by John Brunner, Jul 20, 2020.

1. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

@Herb Durant
    Hi fellow Canadian you are looking at the Us as I do. They are going through a transition that could possibly be better understood by an outsider. Yes I am a Canadian and living in a partially free country of Dominican Republic. Don't need to worry about covid test because I don't plan on coming back soon. ..

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  2. James Hintze

James Hintze Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Bobby, we could agree on this one. Our government hasn't worked well for several decades. The main problem started when Pres Reagan sold us the notion that government is bad. Remember the horrible words: “I'm from the government and I'm here to help?” Since then we've been electing people who want to shrink, if not eliminate our government. Notice that Trump's cabinet consisted of people who knew nothing about part of government they were representing, or people who wanted to destroy it. The two recent Democratic presidents appointed people who were pushed by the industries involved. Notice also that the gap between the wealthiest and the rest of us continue to increase during the Clinton and Biden administrations.

If a President Biden changes this he will have to be different from the Senator Biden and VP Biden. You and I will certainly disagree on how he will need to be different, but the discussion could be productive.
    Please pardon any typos; I'm in a hurry.

3. Herb Durant

Herb Durant Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

You lucky guy it's good to see a Canadian doing well.

Martin Alonzo likes this.
  4. Herb Durant

Registered

Here's a story of insurrection
    A few years ago I got into a scrap with US border people I didn't like their form of interrogation I was so mad I wrote a letter to then president Obama told him his border guards mirrored Nazi Germany and so on needleless to say I never heard back
    I still don't like those people American or Canadian I almost can see the border from my house I only cross for car parts when I was a kid I'd spend almost every weekend in the states.
    I'm still fuming about it :mad:

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  5. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

You are right about US Border Guards. The last business trip I took to Moncton, NB, I was interrogated on my way back into the USA. (And yes, I do mean "interrogated.") They were so rude and unpleasant, without so much as a smile. That has been a while ago, but I still remember the rudeness.

6. Herb Durant

Registered

They have too much power security is essential but there's no need for that crap .

7. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

As an American citizen, it made me really huffy. Of course I had to be polite but I was boiling.

Herb Durant likes this.
  8. Herb Durant

Registered

Canada is not without shame .

Back in the day our now prime PM father Pierre Eliot Trudeau invoke the war measure act this gave the government unlimited powers of arrest detention without charges. We had a group called the FLQ they were much like the IRA they kidnapped a British envoy murdered a cabinet minister set bombs off all over the place killing more people the Canadian army was deployed machine gun nest were set up airborne troops patrolled the streets it was scary times .
    I believe it was the only time the Canadian Army was deployed on Canadian soil.
    The sad ending to this story his the FLQ members still alive are walking free.
    Herb