What Craft Or Hobbies Have You Not, And Why?

Discussion in 'Hobbies & Crafts' started by Von Jones, Apr 7, 2015.

1. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

What craft or hobby have you not gotten around to either start or finish?

I've been reorganizing my basement. I have found items like wax for candle making, leather and wood burning tools which at one point I was so 'going to do this.' Instead they have been sitting there gathering dust and taking up space.

After my mother came to live with us and most of my attention went to caring for her my creative interest kind of dwindled away. Now as I go through all my tubs I wonder if my inspiration to delve into crafting will come back.

2. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

Von, I think the crafting bug will be there for you when your ready to begin again.

I too set aside my need to create when members of my family have need of care. I have been the one to give care in the last stages of life for many of my family. I have done this with my parents, in-laws, a niece, and the most recent was a period of three years until my beloved husband died last December.

For me crafts and art bring back my need to live in the now. I enjoy all things that make me feel as if I have a purpose to myself and others.:)

Von Jones likes this.
  3. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

Thank you Ina for the words of encouragement. I guess I just needed to hear it. My mother would always tell other family members that I was just like my grandparents because I always kept my hands busy with something.

I remember the first house that I rented I had all kinds of crafts, mostly Wysocki puzzles, and I got rid of everything and started over. The one thing that I did keep though was an unfinished quilt that I had started.

4. Pat Baker

Pat Baker Supreme Member
    Registered

My grandson has a blanket that he got when he was a baby that has frayed and need to be relined. I don't have a sewing machine at the time which I need to complete the job of relining the blanket. I hope to get a sewing machine soon so that I can give him back his blanket.

Von Jones likes this.
  5. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I think that having goals in life is an important part of life. Some of our goals will be large goals; but many of them will be just little everyday goals. Crafts fill an important place in that respect. When I am knitting a pair of socks, I am anjoying myself, I am keeping my hands occupied, I am making something that i believe the recipient will enjoy, plus when I am finished, I have completed a goal.
    Crafts are one thing that we can pick up and do to take our mind off of other worries, that we can do when we are bored, when the weather is too nasty to go out the front door, or just about any other reason.
    I always intended to try more crafts; but sometimes, life just gets in the way. However, I do enjoy the crafts that I do, and I think that if you have an old woodburning set still sitting around in the basement, that it would be fun to at least take it out and try doing some woodburning with it. I had one when I was a teenager, and i really enjoyed it. I never got beyond the basic woodburning skills; but even so, it was a hobby that i enjoyed.

Bill Boggs and Von Jones like this.
  6. Ina I. Wonder

Registered

I've not tried wood burning, but I have done a few designs in burning leather. I can even see wood burning becoming a profitable hobby. I know that people around here, (Texas), will buy hand designed bowls, pictures, and just about anything eles they can get their hands on.

But doing it for fun has the best payback rate around. :):rolleyes:

Von Jones and Diane Lane like this.
  7. John Donovan

John Donovan Veteran Member
    Registered

I always wanted to try Origami, but whenever I look it up on Google, I tell myself either that "it's too hard", or "I'll do it later", and then never do it. It's not like I don't have anything better to do in my spare time, but it would be nice to finally get off my lazy butt and start doing something pretty instead of surfing the Internet all day, looking at pictures of cute cats and dogs.

Von Jones and Diane Lane like this.
  8. Clark Smith

Clark Smith Veteran Member
    Registered

A hobby that I was never interested to pursue is reading. It's so boring and annoying.. Despite the teachers and such always tryed to push me in this direction I never followed their instructions and just ignored reading. But now I'm almost rediscovering this little piece of art which is indeed the reading. It's a calm and let you dips into the story like anyother thing can do.

Von Jones and Bill Boggs like this.
  9. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I used to make candles when I was younger. Nothing fancy, just pillars mostly, but I enjoyed it. I don't have the space or money for that right now, but someday maybe I'll get back into it at some point.

I am currently teaching myself to use a loom. I used the rainbow type loom when I was a child, but haven't done any of that in years. This is a rectangular loom, for making scarves, pot holders, wash cloths, etc., and I'm just playing around with it, but if anything comes of it, I'll list the items in my shops. I want to pick up some more looms, just the small ones for now, but eventually, I'd like to have some larger ones, so I could make afghans and shawls.

One thing I've always wanted to try, is spinning, but the equipment is expensive. I love the idea of spinning high end yarn, but if that does happen, it will be in the distant future.

Ina I. Wonder and Von Jones like this.
  10. Carlota Clemens

Carlota Clemens Veteran Member
    Registered

My mother has always been into the making of hand crafted stuff since I can remember. In fact I felt inspired to craft so many things after watching her creativity, which was always a source of inspiration to me.

As time went by and I grew old, I don't know where I lost such inspiration and while many times would like to craft something, I have not the time and patience I used to have years ago despite I have been scrapping ideas for over a year or so, but without really trying to start any of them yet.

Von Jones likes this.
  11. Marilyn Pahl

Marilyn Pahl Veteran Member
    Registered

I haven't tried wood burning, but have worked with a Foredom Flex shaft power carver. My one cuz let me use his set-up. It was fun doing little relief pictures. He had a regular business doing relief carving wooden toilet seats. They were beautiful. And this was met to be a hobby. Now the past few years it's micro carving machine really dentist drillers:eek:. The other day when in Michaels not really thinking I picked up a sanded wooden disk. It was 6" size but not set-up to power carve. :)

12. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

Let's say I had long wanted to have my hands in the oven thing, yeah, baking pastries. But we only had an oven several years ago and at this late in the day, I don't have the energy anymore. But maybe when I retire from my daytime job, I can put up a small business of baking pastries not for the money but for the fun of it. The staple for breakfast here is the pandesal which is the morning bread and that's a good business to take because there is a sure market. However, the bread should be palatable and competitive in taste with the existing products of the bakery stores around.

13. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

If considered a hobby, one I have never done well, or even at all, was Dancing, either with a partner, or without.
    Frankl

Von Jones likes this.
  14. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

I have never found anything I'm good at. I was in a photography club for several years and did enjoy my participation but was never very good. That was before digital.

Von Jones likes this.
  15. Ina I. Wonder

Registered

@Bill Boggs, I don't know what your profession has been through the years, I've wondered if you were a teacher or a writer. If you were not a writer, then I would say you have a successful hobby at it. And, you don't have to be good at something to enjoy it as a hobby. Look at all the fishermen and hunters that go home happy whether they get anything or not.

PS: If that is a picture of you and the Mrs, I think it really a nice one. :)

Bill Boggs and Yvonne Smith like this.