What Century Do You Enjoy Reading About? Why?

Discussion in 'History & Geography' started by Lon Tanner, Mar 20, 2021.

1. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

There was alot going on in the 15th century that had a major effect on how we live today and I enjoy reading about all the exploratory travels, religious changes, personalities, wars, inventions etc. etc.

2. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

My favorite century was the century of the Industrial Revolution...the NINETEENTH!

Hal

3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

The 1800s to the early 1900s.

Bill Boggs likes this.
  4. Trevalius Guyus

Trevalius Guyus Veteran Member
    Registered

I like reading about all periods, in time. New things were/are always being invented by Man, The Wise.

5. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

400-300 BC I would say is my favorite period. The times of Aristotle, Plato, Socrates, Epictetus and other fantastic philosophers.

Of course, I can’t deny that I also love the 1400’s-1500’s. DaVinci is one of my favorite persons of all time.

Lon Tanner likes this.
  6. D'Ellyn Dottir

D'Ellyn Dottir Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I like historical novels more than straight history, but any well written history is a pleasure to read. Currently engrossed in the Outlander series of books which cover the 18th century Jacobite uprising and subsequent destruction of highland culture in Scotland, and then some of colonial America and the revolutionary period from very interesting angles.

I have been fascinated with pre-colonial history of the several of the Native American nations, especially the Cahokia, since I grew up nearby.

7. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

I have no favorite century. I just love all history.

D'Ellyn Dottir likes this.
  8. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

1850 thru 1891 aka The Indian Wars years, which included the Sioux and Cheyenne. Had very little of those years studied in my high school U.S. History class. During that same time period was the Ok Corral gunfight with Wyatt Earp and his brothers and Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show which attracted millions of people in 1893.

9. Jeff Elohim

Jeff Elohim Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I love the century yet to be, written about in the Creator's Word/ The Apocalypse, et al.

For the time of perfect judgment, the ceasing of all bloodsed (and no more masks, ever), the time of no tears nor sorrows;

when pollution is done away and never to be anymore, evermore.

10. James Hintze

James Hintze Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

For the past year or so I've been re-reading things that I studied and taught decades ago: the earliest history of the Germanic tribes as they moved into and about Europe. If interested you might look at the wiki article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Migration_Period I'm impressed about how much new stuff has been published during the past few decades.

D'Ellyn Dottir likes this.
  11. Jeff Elohim

Jeff Elohim Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Cool. Re-reading as new info (new to one's own self) is discovered is important, in fact very important, since history was written by the victors without caring about what really happened(s). It sometimes takes centuries for the truth to be found out, and even after centuries it is still often covered up/ suppressed.