Walk-in Tub?

Discussion in 'Home Improvement' started by D'Ellyn Dottir, Jul 7, 2021.

1. D'Ellyn Dottir

D'Ellyn Dottir Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Anyone have a walk-in tub? I've been tempted by the concept for a long time, though I can't bring myself to replace the regular tub in the second bathroom until I have a chance to try one out.

One one hand, it seems like it could be wonderful to soak right up to the shoulders, but on the other hand waiting for the water to drain completely before getting out seems a problem.

Visually, in a small bathroom it seems like the higher profile of the walk in tub would make the room seem ever smaller. Practically, it seems like it might be a good selling feature if I ever leave my condo.

Thoughts? Experience?

2. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

I've never had one or tried one, but I checked them out and priced them for my parents when they were alive. That was years ago and they were very expensive and prone to leaks. Maybe they are better and less expensive now.

In addition to waiting for it to drain, it seems like waiting for the water to fill up might also be uncomfortable unless your bathroom was very warm. I think I would want one with a shower. You could take a shower first and leave it running until it filled up some.

D'Ellyn Dottir and Don Alaska like this.
  3. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

We have friends who bought one, but they seldom use it for the reasons @Nancy Hart stated--too long a wait while filling and draining. I have long wished I had purchased a Japanese bath system when I was over there. I have not been able to find one here. They are available in self-contained capsules with a shower and a tub. You shower first, then soak. The capsules are above-ground, but some of the high-end ones were built into the floor at least part way.

D'Ellyn Dottir and Nancy Hart like this.
  4. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

How many gallons are they relative to the capacity of your water heater?

I'd never use one because I'm on a septic system and would not want to overwhelm it.

D'Ellyn Dottir likes this.
  5. Nancy Hart

Registered

When I visited Japan they were building a high rise apt building, and the whole bathroom was a capsule, sink, toilet, tub, and all. They were lifting them up with cranes for installation.

6. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

Step over and out of the tub and stand on towel then drain the tub.

7. Nancy Hart

Registered

That kind of defeats the purpose of walk in. Might as well just get a smaller tub.

upload_2021-7-7_15-58-54.png

Don Alaska likes this.
  8. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

No problem----What's wrong with WALK IN & STEP OUT?

John Brunner likes this.
  9. D'Ellyn Dottir

Registered

Yes, I would want a detachable shower head too, @Nancy Hart.
    :)

@Don Alaska , Once upon a time I had a massage at a place where they offered time in a Japanese soaking tub. Seemed to me like a tiny hot tub indoors, but was a nice experience, and since it was already filled when I arrived, and was a thing to climb into and out of by way of a footstool, there was minimal water on the wood slat floor.
    :cool:

Oh! Geez, I didn't think about that. Great point, @John Brunner.
    :eek:

I'm not sure of the safety of stepping over and out, @Lon Tanner, since the height of a walk in tub is at about hip level for me, I think.
    o_O

Don Alaska likes this.
  10. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

The ones I see advertised in AARP and elsewhere just have a small ledge that you step over. There is a door that opens and closes so that there is only the small stepover.

Lon Tanner likes this.
  11. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

there were larger installations, but what I was referring to was like some of the small saunas that are marketed here. It was a tub and shower within a fiberglass enclosure. I think the reason real furo are not marketed here is that the heater that I saw would go to 120 F., but I believe that is too high to be sold here. (Refer to my posts about Americans being the stupidest people on earth).

John Brunner and Nancy Hart like this.
  12. D'Ellyn Dottir

Registered

I would think that if the tub is full of water when you are ready to get out before it drains, you'd have to climb over the high edge and not open the open door, wouldn't you?. :(

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  13. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

If you were smart, you would wait for it to drain..... if not, I hope you would have a big mop. :D

14. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

There seems to be some confusion here. D'Ellyn is concerned about having to WAIT until the tub drains BEFORE getting out. So all the "step out" responses are silly.

Seriously?

Exactly.

The HEIGHT of the tub when the door is closed and full of water. Why not keep a standard bathtub which is much lower and would be easier to step in and out with a wall assist handle or whatever is needed for poor balance.

15. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

At any rate, I think sitting in there waiting on the tub to fill, then sitting in there waiting on the tub to drain so you could open the door would be far too much wasted time (and cold, too.) I have no interest in a walk-in tub.