Vocal Fry

Discussion in 'Evolution of Language' started by Ken Anderson, Oct 2, 2018.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

If you listened to the Senate hearings with Dr. Ford the other day, you may have noticed this. Apart from the fact that she seemed like she was trying to sound like a ten-year-old, there was a quality in her voice that we hear a lot now, particularly in women, but in men also. It's called vocal fry. Here's a good video on it.

Here's a good article on it from Mental Floss. It includes the video above.

Chrissy Cross and Thomas Stearn like this.
  2. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I heard that she had been coached to speak that way so that she would sound younger and more innocent. The clip says ir makes her sound creepy. I wonder which it is? Peerhaps it depends on who is listening to it.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

4. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

I absolutely hate that way of talking...it's been a 'thing'' here in the UK for several years now.. it drives me nuts!! I keep thinking that by the time those girls get to be middle aged they'll have no vocal chords left!!

Don Alaska likes this.
  5. Thomas Stearn

Thomas Stearn Veteran Member
    Registered

At the end of the video she gave the reason for that kind of talking: it's supposed to make them sound world-weary and underwhelmed.
    I may add: it makes you come across as experienced and utterly bored like "been there, seen that, done that". As a social code it's also inclusive in the sense: you/we know what I'm talking about, don't you/we?
    It is tempting especially for young girls to convey that impression of a know-it-all and it's hardly surprising that you often hear it from young upwardly mobile folks. No-one can tell them anything new. (Didn't read the article Ken linked. Hope I'll get round to it.)

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
    Holly Saunders likes this.
  6. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

:mad::mad::mad: Soon as she opened her mouth, I knew that voice would irtitate me...and it did. But to think women or anyone is coached to talk this way is asinine.
    All the more reason to discredit her .

Don Alaska and Holly Saunders like this.
  7. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Ford has developed an alpha female personna but sadly, I believe she has an inferiority complex and has to use every tool available in order to convey her “wish” to be that alpha.
    The “fry” and many physical gestures simply indicates boredom and a condescending air very similar to the Victorian era of speaking in the 3rd person type of mannerism enjoyed by those in power.
    If she had yawned in the middle of someone else making a statement or asking a question, it would be no less than the well rehearsed vocal fry in order to create a facade of superiority.