Very Rare Old Trucks

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by Frank Sanoica, Jun 25, 2018.

1. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

Is it a bus? Is it a semi-truck? Well, it’s actually a bit of both! This unique Ford vehicle was once used at the Zurich airport to take passengers to and from their terminals. It now sits on display at the Swiss Transportation Museum in Luzern. We wouldn’t mind taking a ride in this thing the next time we head to the airport!
    [​IMG]

The Mack F series began production in 1962 and continued until the early 1980s and was the third generation of cabover trucks for the brand. The pictured truck is a FR-700 series and it was photographed at the Riverina Truck Show held at Lake Albert and from the looks of it, we’re guessing its somewhere around a 1980 model.
    [​IMG]

Ever thought you might like to own your own antique snow plow?
    If so, this is the vehicle for you! This 1942 FWD Co. truck with three-tier line rotary blades (known as “Snowgo”) cleared the streets of a Minnesota county’s roads for nearly 50 years. Due to the expense of upkeep and outdated technology, it was auctioned off in 2013. Now that’s a rare truck!
    [​IMG]

The Econoline was unlike any other truck Ford had produced when it hit the market in the fall of 1960. It features a unibody construction and, like its name, was economical to drive with a 6 cylinder engine and lightweight design. The engine is located between and beneath the mini cab over and due to its low cost to maintain, was a popular choice as utility trucks for service companies of all kinds. Today, this little unique looking truck will definitely get heads turning.
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2018
  2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Your images aren't showing up on my end, Frank. Oddly, if I go into edit mode, I can see them.

3. Ken Anderson

Okay, they are there now.

4. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

I can't see them.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  5. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Ken Anderson I wonder what is going on? They appear just fine on my OP. Wonder if I log off and back on, if they will not reapper.
    Frank

EDIT: They are there. :confused:

Below is the second part of Frank's opening post -- Ken Anderson

If you happen to be a fan of classic mid-century trucks, you may have heard of Powell Manufacturing Company out of California. If not, let us introduce you to the 1956 Powell Sports Wagon. What makes this particular truck so special? Well, a couple of things, but let’s start with the basics. The Sports Wagons were made using 1941 Plymouth chassis’ – that’s right, all of these trucks were made using 1941 Plymouth chassis’ found at junkyards. From there, you also have a fiberglass nose piece complete with an oak front bumper. But what about that interesting Pez-like dispenser on the back? The Sports Wagon came equipped with this interesting little addition, an extendable storage box that we think would actually be quite handy. You won’t find Powell’s for sale often, but if you do you can usually score them for a reasonable price. This beauty hit Craigslist for just under $15,000 in 2014.
    uncommon-truck-4.jpg

To be able to get your hands on an authentic vintage World War One army truck would be special, but to find one that has been restored to this level is incredible. This is a vintage 3-ton army truck and the history behind this vehicle has got to be worth every penny.
    uncommon-truck-3.jpg

This 1952 Mercedes L319 pickup was traditionally used as a lightweight commercial vehicle in the 1950s and 1960s. Mercedes offered a variety of body styles including van styles and minibus. These latter styles can still be seen with some regularity, but the pickup is quite rare to come across today.
    uncommon-truck-2.jpg

The Ford Model A Mail Truck was used by the US Postal Service beginning in 1928 and continuing through the 1930s and 1940s.

Both the Model A passenger chassis and the Model AA truck were used with a total of 4300 Model A variants acting as mail carriers during this time. They were built in a variety of body options, from Funeral Coach, Ambulance, and cab only, just to name a few. The Postal Service opted for a fleet of cab only variants and went to outside custom body builders to complete the vehicles. Pictured above is a beautifully restored 1931 Ford Model A that can be found at the National Postal Museum in Washington, D.C.
    uncommon-truck-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2018
    Terry Coywin likes this.
  6. Ken Anderson

I don't know. I went into edit mode just to see if I could figure out why they weren't showing up, and I could see them. But I didn't edit anything. I just canceled out of it, but when I refreshed the screen, they were there and they look okay for me now. There are quite a few photos, so it might be a matter of how much a computer wants to load into memory or something.

7. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Ken Anderson
    Can you separate an OP into two separate posts?

8. Ken Anderson

No. But I think you may still have time to edit it. Re-upload half the photos and copy and paste the text.

9. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

10. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

When I try to open an image it says: "The owner of this website (mentertained.com) does not allow hotlinking to that resource"

11. Harry Havens

Harry Havens Veteran Member
    Registered

That was rather odd.

Terry Coywin and Frank Sanoica like this.
  12. Harry Havens

Harry Havens Veteran Member
    Registered

Highlight the URL and hit enter, then the picture pops up. Or right click, copy url, then paste in new page.

Nancy Hart likes this.
  13. Ken Anderson

Have you tried refreshing your browser? You shouldn't have to open the image. It should just display.

14. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

After I first copy the URL of an image, and open it in another window, then *that* image shows up on Frank's post. The ones I haven't done this to, still don't show up, even after refresh. But It's ok, I can just do what @Harry Havens said, to each image, individually.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
    Harry Havens likes this.
  15. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

I can’t see them, and I can’t see a url to try and open the picture, I just get a little (img) thing that doesn’t do anything.
    Anyway, I read the descriptions, and I used to have one of the little Ford Econoline pickups, and I just loved that little truck ! It was old when I got it (about 1990 ?), and had timing chain issues, but when it ran, it ran great, and was just a blast to drive with that cab that put you right up in the windshield when you drove it.
    The engine was between the two front seats, and that pesky little truck would backfire every now and then, and about scared me to death every time it did that ! !
    The only other vehicle that I had that was like that (as far as sitting up near the windshield) was my little VW camper bus (Hildegarde) and I loved driving it, too. Thankfully, the engine for the camper bus was in the back, and it didn’t backfire, anyway.