Ugh, Snow

Discussion in 'Weather & Natural Disasters' started by Ken Anderson, Oct 28, 2016.

1. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Our white stuff still has a bit to go before it is gone. We lost a little with the light rain yesterday, but not enough to matter. It was 14 F. when I got up this morning so everything is crusted.

2. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

We had a great 3-day weekend, which included Good Friday, of 80 degree weather. That is 18 degrees above our normal 62 April temperature. The last day of this "80" is today (Monday), then we take a 20 degree drop on Tuesday. Won't see 80 degrees for?????

With the way the weather was this last weekend, many, many people here are going to be upset when we get snow again. And, there is definitely a possibility that we will see at least one more snowstorm before it all ends the middle of May.

3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

It's snowing pretty hard right now in central-northern Maine. I'm sure it'll melt as soon as the sun comes up but still...

4. Logan Bellgamin

Logan Bellgamin Well-Known Member
    Registered

Snow? What's snow? :confused:

5. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

And just think, Logan, wife and I returned to "Old Man Winter" aka Colorado in 2019 after spending 10 1/2 years in northeastern Florida aka Jacksonville. A month ago, we had 30 inches of snow, with wind (blizzard). We don't necessarily like snow, but it comes with living in Colorado. Summers here are very, very nice.

6. Ken Anderson

It was still snowing up to about an hour ago, but it's mostly melted.

7. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Now, I do (must) say this: if either of us had to drive to work and back home in snow again, like we did when we lived here before, we'd probably feel very different about the winters here. We'd still continue living here, but driving safely in falling snow or snow period, isn't what most young folks think about, but we sure would.

We just thank God that neither of us have to drive anywhere when a blizzard or snowstorm is hitting.

8. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

Sunny and bright here, with temps predicted to be into the low 50s F. The snow is melting quickly and some stuff that has been buried all winter is starting to emerge. My oldest greenhouse had a roof collapse when the temperatures warmed, and I will have to decide whether to rebuild it or just let it go. It came with the property when we bought it almost 30 years ago, and it is the smallest greenhouse on the property. Water and mud are everywhere, but the swans and the ducks have now returned, as there is some open water appearing on the lake behind our house.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  9. Ken Anderson

Yeah, mud season is always fun.

Don Alaska likes this.
  10. Ken Anderson

We had our first shovelable snow last night. It wasn't much, and I probably would have been able to get out of the driveway without shoveling, except for what the town plow deposited there.

Don Alaska and Von Jones like this.
  11. Silvia Benoit

Silvia Benoit Veteran Member
    Registered

Deduct the taxes for the day........LOL

59 degrees in Yonkers, NY

Don Alaska likes this.
  12. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

It has warmed above 0 F. now and is supposed to snow today and tomorrow. We'll see, as usual. I think only 2 to 4 inches are predicted, but they never seem to know. They were correct in predicting the warming, however, so perhaps the snow will also be correct.

13. Ken Anderson

So far, this hasn't been a bad winter. We've only had two snows that amounted to anything. Although they did require a considerable amount of digging out, the storms were followed by a warm day so the digging out wasn't so bad. I am sore, though. After the snow we had a couple of days ago, I dug out what absolutely needed to be dug out yesterday, then completed the paths to the oil tank, the compost pile, my shed, and to the firepit today. I still need to shovel to a few of the trees that I place my cameras on.

14. Teresa Levitt

Teresa Levitt Veteran Member
    Registered

seeing this snow post. ..i gotta show y'all a picture of snow they had here ......years back...
    Screensho.jpg

15. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

We have had 2 (or maybe 3) sizeable storms, whereas on average we would get maybe one storm every 5 years or so.

Don Alaska likes this.