Trees And Other Things

Discussion in 'Personal Diaries' started by Nancy Hart, Jun 21, 2018.

1. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Cool! I hope you enjoy it.

My Chevy S-10 was an extended cab, and my Canyon is a 4 door. You gotta have the extra room for everyday use, such as grocery shopping.

I bought a Mazda CUV in 2019. For the most part I like it, but I really don't like having everything managed through a computer screen as it seems everything is these days. It takes getting used to, while avoiding accidents during the learning curve. After 2 years, I still miss being able to instinctively reach for my favorite radio presets without looking. For all the safety stuff they put into these things, I don't understand the fetish for centralized screens. I almost rear-ended another car on Day #4 of ownership because of this. Learning the voice and steering wheel control functions (especially for the radio) is a must for keeping your eyes on the road.

Oh...and enjoy that Owner's Manual!!! Mine is over 700 pages. :rolleyes:

Von Jones, Bill Boggs and Nancy Hart like this.
  2. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

What do you think about running boards?

I did not get them, but thought about it. I'm afraid those 18" wheels are gonna make it too high off the ground. I only got to test drive a 4x4 and it was high. Guess you can always get them installed afterwards. I just wanted all that to be over and done with at once.

Von Jones and John Brunner like this.
  3. John Brunner

I don't really have an opinion one way or the other. I think the only time I've used mine is to avoid mud & water puddles, but not for routine entry/exit use. My Canyon just isn't that high off of the ground, and it's 4x4. Are you saying that your truck is 2 wheel drive?

You might want to swing back by the dealer and check to see how easy it is for you to get in and out of one like you bought.

4. Nancy Hart

Registered

5. Nancy Hart

Registered

(4/22/21) Thursday

I Paid My Income Tax Today
    Irving Berlin, 1942

Well not quite. Still need to do some double-checking today.

Started work Thursday evening. Every year I say, "Next year it will be much easier," but something different always happens. This time it was a company that sent two 1099's---one in January and one in mid February. It wasn't clear which one to use. The simple word "included" wasted 2 hours.

When you say A is included in B, to me, it means there is at least something more in B besides just A. There was no answer on the internet. Finally, one little entry convinced me you needed to report BOTH. :(

If I'm wrong, I'm not that worried. I would worry if I didn't pay enough. I think I'm already on their nuisance list anyway because I still mail paper forms.:p:cool::D

Hey, what else have I got to do? It was more fun than dusting.

Von Jones, Joe Riley and John Brunner like this.
  6. Nancy Hart

Registered

This is Ophelia. Her shell is about 2 cm in diameter.

upload_2021-4-27_11-44-35.png

To see Ophelia in action check out THIS VIDEO :D

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  7. John Brunner

Hamlet sure dodged a bullet...

ps: Love the slo-mo photography ;) Funny, when you put a shell on a slug, it's kinda likeable.

Nancy Hart likes this.
  8. Nancy Hart

Registered

The only snails I ever saw in Ohio were in a fish bowl, bought at the 5 & 10. Never saw a slug, so finding these things in the wild here is fascinating to me. o_O There has been some question about which is faster, slugs or snails.

(Unsportsmanlike conduct. .Illegal eye ball sword stab at 00:24.. Video being reviewed by refs)

John Brunner likes this.
  9. John Brunner

Man, that got my heart pounding! (I'll watching anything with Rossini playing in the background.)

I see small snails around here every so often. What I really enjoyed seeing again when I moved were skinks (a lizard with a cylindrical body and short, stubby legs.)

[​IMG]

Their colors vary widely. They are a favorite food item for birds and for snakes.

Bill Boggs and Nancy Hart like this.
  10. Nancy Hart

Registered

Yes, we have those. One visited me often on the porch last summer. Lost most of its tail. Btw, their tails detach easily, but they do NOT grow back. Some cartilage attaches to the end, but it's not functional. (tidbit of info I found out Googling about him ;) )

Bill Boggs and John Brunner like this.
  11. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Nancy, we saw a brand new Ford Ranger on the freeway today. It was a dark gray and really sharp looking. I didn't see the grill because it was ahead of us.

Bill Boggs and Nancy Hart like this.
  12. Nancy Hart

Registered

There is a new color called... Lead Foot. :D Nonmetallic. Looks like wet cement. It's so ugly it's kind of cute. :p

I briefly thought about choosing it, but it's only offered in the F150. Very inconspicuous. :)

upload_2021-4-27_17-54-42.png

Last edited: Apr 27, 2021
    Bill Boggs and Joe Riley like this.
  13. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

The Ranger was a darker gray; kind of charcoal-ish. I liked the color on a truck, especially with the trim level the guy chose. He still had paper tags so I could imagine him inhaling that "new truck smell" while cruisin' along.

14. Nancy Hart

Registered

The latest puzzle

Three days in a row of heavy rain last week. No water in the basement. :) The first decent test since I dug up the ground squirrel tunnels near the corner of the house foundation. The power went out at least 5 times in town, that I know of.

After dark, about all you can do is go to bed. I got way too much sleep. :p

Power had been off at the farm also and the old TV, set up to make noise out there, is now toast.

The 3rd satellite receiver is missing. I took it out there to rule out a bad receiver when the satellite dish went out, way back in September. Coincidentally checked the most recent AT&T bill and they credited it for one receiver last month. Why would they do that? Do they know when a receiver is not hooked up?

I looked for it at the farm yesterday, and again when I got back home. How could you miss it? It's an 8"x12" box. Not like looking for a piece of paper.

Do you suppose if I called AT&T they could tell me where to look? :rolleyes:

Last edited: May 10, 2021
    John Brunner likes this.
  15. John Brunner

If they credited it, did "someone" return it and forget?

Otherwise, it might be a good idea to report it missing in case another party stole it and can make use of it (and you get invoiced.)

Von Jones and Nancy Hart like this.