Tonights Dinner At The Old Folks Home Assisted Living

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Lon Tanner, Apr 7, 2017.

1. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

It was a delicious Strip Stea STRIP.jpg k with Chimichurri Sauce. Love that sauce.

2. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Where's your beer, Lon?? Only kidding.

3. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

It is blackberry beer Cody. Best chilled and best drank with a stem.

Also Alonzo you disappoint me when you talk of lemon pie and don't show a photo of it.
    Don't ever do that with chocolate pie or I will never look at your food photos again. Hahaha!

Shirley Martin likes this.
  4. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Love your reply, Faye. Absolutely love it!!

5. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

Lon's dinner as always looks great. And after viewing his diner and reading down through the thread
    I have called my grocery shopper and asked a large tenderloin be bought for the misses and a nice
    t-bone or NY Strip picked up for me. I would have suggested a ribeye for me but I like to pick out a
    ribeye steak my self. This is not the first time I have bought something after seeing it on Lon's table.

It is like watching food advertised on the tele. Sometime it reminds that you'd like to have something
    you don't have. The tele ads are good marketing; Lon's probably incidental but closeup photos could
    work the same way, whether intended or not, as in my case I saw his steak and it reminded me I had
    not had steak in some timer. It could also indicate other meanings: such as I am easily influenced
    and/or I am a follower not a leader. Further it might indicate I am hungry and nothing more.What ever
    it means or could mean, I'm anxious for dinner to roll around becdause whatever steak I have it is
    bound to be delicious. Nothing serious, folks, merely thinking out loud and my mouth watering more
    than usual.

6. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

@Bill Boggs

I, too, have been influenced by Lon's pics. I started making my own pasta after he posted pics of his shrimp scampi, then one thing led to another.

I know there have been many things I've made after seeing Lon's dinners.

Bill Boggs likes this.
  7. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

Yeah, Lon seems to eat well most of the time but he deserves to.

John Brunner likes this.
  8. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

With the money that is being spent to stay at this Asst. Living, the residents should eat good-to-great.

9. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

I don’t mean to sound rude / mean but as I worked in allot of places as a cook ...allot of your appears to be over cooked
    Lon ...however it may be the angle the photos are taken

10. Lon Tanner

Registered

It's your screen viewing angle of the food. None of the meals are over cooked.

Kate Ellery likes this.
  11. Trevalius Guyus

Trevalius Guyus Veteran Member
    Registered

As a Chef (L'ecole Des Coups Durs), I must disagree with your assessment. From the photos I have examined, the food appears to be cooked properly. A few vegetables do show the usual signs of coming from the large, frozen, industrial restaurant supply bags, but that is not a matter of being overcooked. Meat dishes show proper cooking, as do fresh vegetable and fish preparations.

FWIW: The proper words you sought: "a lot," and "overcooked."

Last edited: Mar 24, 2021
  12. Lon Tanner

Registered

Sorry Faye----I ate the Carrot Cake with Ice Cream and took no picture. The white wine for those interested is a Harvey Humpstack 1927 Sauvignon Blink

Chicken Alfredo.jpg

Faye Fox, John Brunner and Bill Boggs like this.
  13. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

It's either live well or have a boat ;)
    Besides, the insurance he had the foresight to purchase covers it.

(didja miss us?)

Yvonne Smith and Faye Fox like this.
  14. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

As a denture wearer and expert on denture-friendly foods and also colon cancer survivor and old blood clot ulcerated stomach survivor, I have difficulty in determining from the photos if the food is cooked properly for the senior digestive system. Lon has graciously given clues that with the photos have led me to believe that the foods are all prepared to perfection with the senior in mind. Example of clues Lon provided that may have been overlooked. "Steamed vegetables" and compared with the photo posted added up to an easy to smash even without dentures, culinary delight. The colors are bright indicating quality frozen vegetables compared to canned.

Now addressing the meats. All the fish showed looks to be prepared perfectly. I have seen a slight sheen that indicates not overcooked and dry. The lamb chops appear to have the right amount of fat and its color indicates it was cooked to near perfection. The beef is difficult to tell and I would need to see a piece cut at a 45-degree angle in order to make a full assessment on preparation. Also, a look at the resulting broth from the cooking is paramount for me to render a final judgment.

Assessing the pie is also difficult, but the crust indicates neither under nor overdone. I am requesting Lon request dark chocolate and also a sour cherry pie for photographing. Perhaps an Oregon marionberry with Tillamook whipped cream would be of help in judging pie quality at his establishment.

I love the food photos Lon, keep them coming. After your mention of lemon pie, I walked over to our local pie specialty joint and had a slice.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2021
  15. Tex Dennis

Tex Dennis Veteran Member
    Registered

meal.jpg

One of my cooked meals I love to fix and EAT! For 5 youngsters and 2 grown ups. No body goes hungry here.