Tomato Sandwich Day, A Southern Tradition

Discussion in 'Holidays & Traditions' started by Yvonne Smith, Aug 3, 2018.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

When I went to the Farmer’s Market for some fresh tomatoes yesterday, they had a sign up that the tomatoes would be $1 per lb next Friday, August 10th.
    This made me think about that interesting custom down here of tomato sandwiches and the special day when they are served free from the Farmer’s market.
    As far as I know, tomato sandwiches (as a delicacy) are a tradition that is only from the South, here in the United States. When I was living out west, we often put lettuce and tomato on a lunchmeat sandwich, and (of course) on hamburgers, but we usually didn’t have a sandwich that was just mayonnaise and tomatoes on bread.
    Traditionally, the tomato sandwich is made with soft white bread, mayonnaise, and large slices of tomato, and that’s it.

I looked to see if maybe next Friday was the Tomato Sandwich Day for this year, but apparently that already happened here, back in July. Maybe the special price is just because we are hitting the peak of the season and the farmers want to get a bunch of tomatoes sold, but in any case, I am hoping to go and get more tomatoes next week.
    I might even make myself a tomato sandwich, just to celebrate........

https://whnt.com/2018/07/13/tomato-sandwich-day-hits-local-farmers-markets/

2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I love tomato and mayo sandwiches but haven't had one in years.

Funny thing though...I don't like tomato and lettuce on other sandwiches or hamburgers.

Bobby Cole and Yvonne Smith like this.
  3. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm not keen on tomatoes' but oddly I do like sliced tomatoes on toast for breakfast drizzled with extra virgin oil...

4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

I prefer them with bacon, lettuce, and tomatoes, and with Miracle Whip rather than mayonnaise (since mayonnaise is just Miracle Whip that has been left out in the sun to go bad), but I have often eaten tomato and Miracle Whip sandwiches.

Joe Riley and Bobby Cole like this.
  5. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I think it's the other way around...ugh to miracle whip!

Ken Anderson and Don Alaska like this.
  6. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

@Ken Anderson I assume you know that Miracle Whip is "cheap" mayo (whole eggs, not yolks only) with sugar added. Many people who were raised on "salad dressing" are hooked on the stuff and won't go for "real" mayonnaise. One of my daughters-in-law is one of those. I was raised on Miracle Whip, but moved on when my tastes matured, just as I leave sugar out of coffee and tea, and I hate sweet wines.

7. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

I love a BLT sandwich, but wife has a hard time digesting bacon, so we don't have BLT's very often. As far as tomato's go, I love them! Buy a tomato and put into frig, get it out and rinse off, quarter it up and next thing I know...….it's gone!

Think I'll go get the one we have in the frig and gobble it up right now.:D

Bobby Cole likes this.
  8. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

@Cody Fousnaugh I would recommend NOT putting your tomatoes in the frig. Cooling tomatoes causes permanent changes in the taste of tomatoes which does not change back when they are warmed. Leave them at room temp and they will still keep for a while, especially if you have AC.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...science/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.3214929cdddc

9. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Agree with @Don Alaska ...I never put tomatoes in the fridge.

10. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

I just love tomatoes, I can get through several pounds a week, I also love plain tomato (with a dash of salt) sandwiches have done all my life. I agree about not putting them in the fridge for the fullest flavour.

11. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

I love tomato on toast sandwiches, too, Holly, although I have only tried them with butter and not olive oil. I am sure that I would like that , too. The hot, toasted bread just seems to go better with the tomato slices, rather than plain bread (especially that soft white bread that they use for them out here).

As far as mayo, I was also started out on a version of Miracle Whip.
    It was called “Tang”, and this was before we ever saw or heard of miracle whip. I remember asking my grandmother for a taste when we would go to visit her, and she would give me a small spoonful of it.
    One time, she had bought mayonnaise instead (which cost more than Tang did, although I had no idea of that back then), and when she gave me a spoonful, I almost gagged.
    They showed me the jar and insisted it was mayonnaise, but it was just not MY kind of mayonnaise !
    After that, I always used salad dressing/miracle whip for my sandwiches, and sometimes the regular jar of sandwich spread, which had sweet relish added to it.
    When I grew up and got married, my husband would only eat mayonnaise, and we could not afford to have both, so I learned to use regular mayo instead, and that is what I buy now.

12. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

We buy both Miracle Whip and mayonnaise because my wife has poor taste, and prefers mayonnaise. She uses more mayonnaise than I do Miracle Whip because I pretty much only use it for sandwiches. Although it's called a salad dressing, there are better choices for salads.

Don Alaska and Bobby Cole like this.
  13. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Michelle is the one with the good taste!!

I wouldn't even have married you...miracle whip would have been a deal breaker. :)

Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
  14. Beatrice Taylor

Beatrice Taylor Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm ready and my feet are squarely in the mayonnaise camp.

I also like to take the big juicy tomatoes and make a small batch of stewed tomatoes with a couple of whole cloves, salt, pepper and a knob of butter.

[​IMG]

15. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

Another Miracle Whip person here! [​IMG]

I only like tomatoes on BLT's. Otherwise they are too messy, and the tomatoes squish out, but I deal with it on a BLT. [​IMG]Maybe 100% tomatoes wouldn't do that. Will have to add it to my bucket list.

Bobby Cole and Ken Anderson like this.