This Coronavirus Problem

Discussion in 'Viruses' started by Thomas Stearn, Feb 26, 2020.

1. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

:D:D ...that's why people are getting so panicked , WHO had given it a different name instead of a scientific name COVID-19... easy for people to remember there would be less confusion about the whole thing.

I learned today from a Virologist that with the Covid-19 symptoms, the likelihood is if your symtoms beginiwth sneezes and sniffles it's more likely to be a common cold... however if your symptoms begin with a dry cough, then it could possibly be Covid-19.. and to stay home and just ring your docotrs surgery (office)... or in the uk dial 111 which is an outpatient consultation line for those who have medical problems out of hours or cannot get to see a doctor quickly . The phones are manned by trained medical advisor and will advise on whether it sounds as though the symptoms are serious and or how to deal with them...

Emily Brown likes this.
  2. Thomas Stearn

Thomas Stearn Veteran Member
    Registered

OK, I was asking because this is a thread about the new threat. Considering that people are not always precise it could have been mistaken for Corvid-19. There are areas in the world where a common cold is so common that it is not worth mentioning.:D
    Anyway, glad you "survived" it.:)

Emily Brown and Holly Saunders like this.
  3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

That was my point. Some, even several, of the news reports are of people who have contracted the Coronavirus, not necessarily the COVID-19 strain, which gives people the impressions that it's far worse than it is. Given that most people will see only the headline and the blurb that is posted on Facebook, while the full story is hidden under a paywall, they are spreading panic. I have read stories which, from the headline and the blurb, would give the impression that this referred to people with the COVID-19 strain; then, when I actually read the story, it says that they hadn't yet determined the strain because of a shortage of test kits, or for whatever reason. Like every other threat, real or imagined, the media always wants to make it even worse than it is.

Panicked people are flooding clinics and doctor's offices because, every time they get a sniffle, they think they're dying. So they go to the clinic, where they might actually catch the COVID-19 strain from someone who is waiting in the packed waiting area. When it comes to viruses, one of the most common places to catch one is in a hospital or clinic, since that's where sick people go.

I saw that as a paramedic in Texas. After thirty years of media reports about the "killer bees" coming out of Brazil, when they finally crossed the border into Texas, everyone thought they were going to die because they were stung by a bee, and people were spraying every bee they came across with poisons. The reality was that a sting from an Africanized bee was less potent than the European bees that were common in the area before. People were calling for ambulances for one bee sting, where they never would have done so before. Except for the relatively small percentage of the population who are allergic to bee stings, a bee sting doesn't even require a trip the doctor, let alone an ambulance.

4. Thomas Stearn

Registered

It's also a cultural thing. Over here the majority of people don't know that the common cold is caused by a virus called "corona" nor do they know that there are several ones with that name. They just call it a cold and don't care about the name of the virus.
    For exactly that reason there can't be any misunderstanding at this end since people hear the term "corona" for the first time and will always think that what is meant is Covid-19 and nothing else. If corona is a household name in the US, however, more information and explanation may be necessary to avoid confusion leading to refusing corona beer at the extreme.:D

Beth Gallagher and Emily Brown like this.
  5. Ken Anderson

It's not. Until the COVID-19 strain, few people knew that the common cold was known as the Coronavirus. That's why news reports that tell about the numbers of people with the Coronavirus, when it's not the COVID-19 strain, are deceptive because people associate the Cornavirus with the COVID-19 strain. Don't get me wrong. I am not suggesting that COVID-19 isn't anything to worry about. A lot of people have died, although far fewer than die from other diseases that we accept as commonplace. Given its long incubation period, the chances of someone being infected are greater, and given the fact that it has become heavily politicized, at least here, the threat of it being intentionally spread is real.

I just wish that the media and the politicians wouldn't be so heavily invested in spreading panic since panic does not lead to reasonable solutions. I don't know if this is known internationally, but the one spokesperson for the Center for Disease Control (CDC) here who made an early statement about the likelihood of it becoming an epidemic here is heavily political. She is the sister of Rod Rosenstein, who was one of the main figures in the impeachment of our president. Rather than a reasonable statement from the one agency that Americans should be able to trust in this type of situation, she released a political statement intended to spread panic and to put the blame on the president.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  6. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I wonder if the anti-vaxxers will refuse that medication, too. :rolleyes:

Sheldon Scott and Thomas Stearn like this.
  7. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Yes, the ignorance of some people never fails to amaze. :D:D (I have a stockpile of Corona in case I get quarantined.)

Thomas Stearn likes this.
  8. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

I saw that online, and CNN reports that something like 33% of the people think that it is related to the beer. Of course, the poll was probably just done by the people who watch CNN, so what can you expect......

Sheldon Scott and Beth Gallagher like this.
  9. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I'm honestly not surprised. I'm on several forums of various types and the hysterical misinformation is rampant.

Thomas Stearn and Yvonne Smith like this.
  10. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

that's gone right over my head because we don't get CNN here... or at least if we do it'll be buried deep down somewhere in the deep of our 999 satellite channels ..but it's a Moot point because Corona beer isn't sold in any great quantity here either..

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  11. Ken Anderson

It's a good thing I don't live in Corona, California.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  12. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Hah; I have a friend who lives there.

13. Ken Anderson

I lived just outside Corona for a little while. At that time, it was a horses stables in a rural area but, judging from Google Earth, that's no longer the case.

14. Thomas Stearn

Registered

The virus is getting closer. We now have the first confirmed cases directly in my town. The first one "patient zero", would you believe it, is a retiree returning from Italy. He has infected a couple of other people. I knew why I didn't want to take any unnecessary risks by dining at a Italian restaurant. It could also have been someone working there and coming back after saying Hello to mom in Italy. I didn't want to be one of or even the first again who contracted it as was the case with swine flu. Germans are no longer allowed to enter Israel. We are having 600 cases after recent exponential rises.

I'm just returning from the gym and was astonished that they still have sanitizer which, among other things connected with the epidemic, has been unavailable to normal consumers for weeks. Disinfectants can't even be hand-made by pharmacies due to a lack of essential ingredients.

I haven't stockpiled. Maybe I'd better do it but somehow can't be bothered. I have just a few things that would keep me going for some days but then I'd have a problem if I were under quarantine or if I was unable to leave home.

15. Ken Anderson

I haven't seen a car at our only Chinese restaurant since this thing became public. Although I think it's an overreaction, the owners do make periodic trips to China so I guess people aren't taking any chances. That's got to hurt, especially given the likelihood that there's no disease there. I'd go but I don't eat a lot of Chinese food and when I do, it's usually for a buffet, and they quit doing buffets a few years ago.