There Are Many Forums - How Many Have You Joined?

Discussion in 'Education & Learning' started by Lon Tanner, Oct 5, 2019.

1. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

I thought it would be interesting as well as educational to join and participate in such a group. My search found one that was for Black Folk. It was a pretty large forum but all the postings were several years ago and there didn't seem to be any current activity.

Frank Sanoica and Bess Barber like this.
  2. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

If you have specific questions, you should ask them, but less people talk about it because it's not really a 'thing' any longer. People putting themselves or others in racial groups only ends up serving as a divider. Race related forums can easily become hate forums because there are always people who want to stir things up. I think most people just want to be considered people and may be offended at being put in a racial box.

3. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Then, Bess, why are their cities that are made of primarily one race? Like, Little Saigon (Garden Grove, CA), China Town, Compton, East L.A. (Hispanic/Mexican) and some others. People from India, when moving from one area to another, will ask if their is an Indian population where they are interested in living. They also want to know about any Indian restaurants.

4. Lon Tanner

Registered

You mis understand me Bess---I have No questions. I thought I could find some African American friends that I knew quite well when I lived in Oakland Ca.

Check this out--------https://destee.com/forums/

Bess Barber and Frank Sanoica like this.
  5. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Lon Tanner
    I looked at the link, and found I shall have to go deeper!
    Frank

6. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Thank you - I agree !

7. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Just because people wish to be “just people” doesn’t mean that there aren’t those who are more comfortable living around people of their own ilk.
    Especially when there are some language barriers involved or some particular customs centered around a specific culture it is natural to wish to be around like individuals or families.

I’m an English speaking American and I may understand a lot of Spanish, French and German, it doesn’t mean I want to live in a neighborhood surrounded by people speaking those languages and having a culture specific to the languages spoken.

But....it’s all way off topic anyway.
    I too will have to examine some of the sites but alas, I too agree with Bess.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
    Lois Winters likes this.
  8. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

It did seem like Lon was asking a question more than making a comment.

9. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Actually, Bobby, I do remember a new Indian member, on a relocation forum I know, that ask forum members if the area that he wanted to move his family to had an area where the Indian population was high. One person didn't like him asking the question, because he was indicating a certain race he'd like to be around and a certain restaurant (Indian) he wants his family to eat at.

What I don't get is, when a black person asks the same question about certain areas to live in, they don't get ridiculed for asking the question, like this Indian person did. Gay/Lesbians can ask the same question and not get ridiculed either for asking about a certain area that would have a large LGBT population.

Seems like Whites and Indians have something in common, they can't ask about certain races in certain areas.

Ok, now back to Lon's thread.

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  10. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Well, that's not what you indicated in the original post.

Personally, I really hate the threads about race; we are all just PEOPLE. Threads like this one just underscore how far we have to go. "White folk," "black folk," "Indian folk." UGH.

If you are really looking for old friends, GOOGLE is loaded with people search options. Looking at random forums is not an expeditious method for locating long-lost friends.

Ken Anderson and Yvonne Smith like this.
  11. Lon Tanner

Registered

12. Lon Tanner

Registered

I give up!!! With all due respect Beth, neither you or anyone else really understands the intent of my original post.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  13. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Thing is, Beth, you may feel this way, which is quite fine, but there are scores of folks in America that sure don't. People are always hearing about differentials between races. And, yes, we still have a LONG way to go for all in America to get along...…..if that really ever happens.

14. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I am aware that there are many people all around the world who are not accepting of others. I just hate to see divisive topics on a forum like this one, that might cause some members to feel slighted in some way. It's simply not necessary in my opinion.

15. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Uh, now I kind of get the linking of your previous thread asking about how many black people are on this forum.

If you’re looking for perspectives based on race then I really do not have a clue except to type in whatever query and observe the polls.
    So far as looking for a forum based on it’s racial diversity with pre-arranged topics that highlight our differences and asking for subjective and objective opinions, I’m not sure that anything like that exists and if it does, I would think it might be a bit too argumentative to say the very least.

Lois Winters and Lon Tanner like this.