The Pit And The Peak Of Your Day

Discussion in 'Happy Talk' started by Holly Saunders, Oct 26, 2017.

1. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

I ain't scared of no wolves!!!:p

2. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

This stuff should go in a book!! Maybe you, @Bobby Cole and some others could collaborate, I'd buy it

[​IMG]

3. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

PEAK: My new fancy dancy diswasher is arriving this morning.

PIT: I underestimated the difficulty of removing it so it can be hauled off.
    PIT 2: To be revealed at a later time.

4. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Peak: I got up this morning and my house was a toasty 70°!!! This is shocking, because it hit 10° overnight. Since I only heat with the wood stove and leave the heat pump off (and the place lacks insulation), I would never expect to see a temperature coming close to 65° after a night like that.

The foam insulating box I just made for my attic stairs really seems to help. I also broke out a couple of small heated fans, set them to "heat pump air" temp, and put one at either end of the house to stir up the air in the "far away from the stove" spots. (I read that it's more efficient to push the colder air towards the stove than to push the heated air away from it.) The combination of all that has made the house more uniformly warm than I could have ever imagined. Plus the firewood racks I built earlier in the spring have greatly increased the quality of the wood I'm burning...it's seasoned just right heading into this coldest time of winter.

This is gonna take some getting used to. When I got up it was 20° outside, so out of habit I threw a couple of smallish pieces of wood in the stove because the house usually gives up its heat pretty quickly and it's best to stay ahead of it. Next thing I know it's pushing 75° in here. Five hours later my house is 73° and it's still in the 20°s outside. Simply unbelievable. Am I gonna save money on firewood!

Pit: I'm an idiot for not having done this basic stuff sooner. (This particular Pit is "sustainable.")

5. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Pit #2 It was a lot harder to remove than I imagined due to my neck issues. Getting at that final screw was impossible so I tried to rip it out and failed. I was finally able to get down and pry the screw loose. It now awaits its new destination. Looking at the several pieces, I doubt it will be rebuilt. New one is here in 30 minutes. What modifications await me?

6. John Brunner

My place was renovated (to a degree) before I moved in, and they installed a contractor-grade dishwasher. It's still holding up...I do not look forward to replacing it.

Good for you for tackling the job. No matter how many scrape knuckles you get, we both know that it's worse to pay good money to have the job done half as well as we do it ourselves...even if it does take us a while. If you're like me, you'll smile every time you turn it on, knowing "you did that."

Von Jones and Tony Page like this.
  7. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Pit #3 I way underestimated the ease of installation. The most difficult one I have ever installed. Really poor instructions. It is working now and very quiet and smooth. What they provided for securing it was worthless. It doesn't appear to need any support as it sits in nice and solid. The kickplate is a joke and screw holes are way off. I can get all that fixed later when my neck and head recovers.

Peak #2 No leaks

8. John Brunner

Congrats, girl!

I don't recall if you said...what brand did you get?

Von Jones and Faye Fox like this.
  9. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Samsung. I hope the ibuprofen and Tylenol will help me sleep tonight. Right now I have my moist heat packs on my neck and face. I gotta give up this DIY nonsense.

10. John Brunner

I hate to admit that my legs ache from making a bunch of trips up & down my attic stairs the past couple of days. I don't know how much of that is age and how much of that is from being so sedentary. (Maybe I don't want to know.)

Von Jones and Ed Wilson like this.
  11. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

Pit: . Took me 4 hours (full time, kid you not) to get this security cam set up on the squirrel bird feeder.

Peak: . When I finally got it working, it was worth it. :cool: A new toy. :):rolleyes:

A little bit pixilated. I only want it to see who's coming and going. You can certainly tell the difference between a bird and a squirrel. ;)

12. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

Will you post some pics?

Nancy Hart likes this.
  13. John Brunner

Some of my best friends are a bit pixilated. ;)

Are you saying the picture quality is not good? Even the negative Amazon reviews say the pic quality is great, but the audio function stinks. There are some rants about the cloud services being mandatory to use the thing, while others say you can record directly to the SD card.

Nancy Hart likes this.
  14. Nancy Hart

Registered

The pictures are good in general. It has a very wide angle view (too wide, imo). The birds are mostly on the deck railing about 10 feet from the camera. There is no zoom on the camera. I can zoom on the phone but it's not a real zoom, just enlarging the pic. So it gets blurry. A tiny bit of blur makes it difficult to identify what bird it is, except for the color.

Yes, you need an SD card to record, without the paid subscription. It records until the card is full and then starts over.

I think it's only $3/month for recording to the "cloud," and $100/year for more advance things (can't remember, maybe motion activation?). I'll probably get the SD card eventually.

John Brunner likes this.
  15. Nancy Hart

Registered

If you mean live streaming on the internet, this setup is not advanced enough for that. I have some pictures/videos in another thread though, taken with the phone.