The Dumbest Generation?

Discussion in 'Education & Learning' started by Ed Wilson, Aug 10, 2020.

1. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I was getting ready to go to the store and started gathering all those damned plastic bags to take with me. (I have a friend who owns a small business and uses these for his customers, so they are repurposed at least once.)

I remember when plastic bags were first introduced and how they were touted as being "photo-degradable," and the world cheered. My first thought was "How much sunlight do they get when buried in landfills?" My second thought was "Why is no one else pointing this out?"

Dumbest generation, indeed. Or perhaps the most propagandized.

Jim Brown likes this.
  2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

Most of the paper companies in the United States quit making paper bags because the environmentally friendly fad at that time was to use plastic and avoid killing trees. It didn't matter that the paper bag plants had been using recycled paper for several years because it's all about virtue signaling, not common sense. I know because I was working for a paper bag company at the time. The company I was working for closed all five of their bag plants. The only company I know of still in operation in the US - Duro - also makes plastic bags.

Lois Winters and John Brunner like this.
  3. John Brunner

The good thing about virtue signalers is what they lack in smarts, they make up for in aggressiveness.

Back in the 80s, I was an early adopter of reusable cloth grocery bags (I subscribed to the Center for Science in the Public Interest newsletter for years.) It didn't take long before they looked like something you would not want to put your food in, setting aside the risk of putting lettuce in the bag you used for chicken last week. Sure, you can run them through the washing machine, but that just makes them "less disgusting." Then there's the [non-quantified] resources consumed to manufacture and routinely wash them relative to recycled paper bags.

If only we lived on a planet massive enough that paper bags didn't have such a devastating impact.
    Sucks to be so fragile.

4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

Yeah, that's the one good thing that the Dr. Fauci Virus brought us. Maine's Democrat majority had passed a bill outlawing the free distribution of plastic bags at grocery stores but, although I think it's still on the books, enforcement of that law was suspended due to the virus. Given their concern about reusable grocery bags spreading disease, it will be interesting to see how they walk that one back once they've come up with another bogeyman to replace COVID-19.

5. John Brunner

For goodness sake, what's the difference between me bringing my cloth bag into the store and me wearing my clothes into the store? My daggone shirt and jeans have been way more places than the stupid grocery bag has.

Faye Fox and Bobby Cole like this.
  6. Jeff Elohim

Jeff Elohim Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

A bunch of quotes from the previous page. I don't know if it will come out clearly or not. No worries.

.. oh, wait. Yes, one worry (on top of the others)... billions of non-degradable masks are now spread worldwide, contaminated with a computer generated imaginary virus, and other things not imaginary, growing in moist, warm, dark places (on the faces of people who have such a place) .

Just a short interjection. Notice that for the last year and a half, reusable cloth .... "in the Public interest".... was practically forced on people worldwide ... people who did not read the evidence _. everywhere the reusable cloth was put on people worldwide, the infection rate doubled, even for surgeons and doctors in hospitals, operating rooms and emergency rooms. No one bothered to find out the facts, did they ?

< many did. They qot squelched >

. < One old proverb: "common sense" is not common.

. Sarcasm, right?

. As written, people planning wickednesses at night time for the next day, aggressive in sinning even when they are alone.

or the modern phrase: reusable masks (and non-reusable masks) spreading disease. (Twice as fast as where masks are not worn).

Jim Brown and Silvia Benoit like this.
  7. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

8. Jeff Elohim

Registered

Why would this make "the dumbest generation" ?

Just because in the education system (and politic, and medical) as written, thousands of years ago, in true prophecy: what is "good" is called bad, and what is bad is called "good".

Silvia Benoit likes this.
  9. Silvia Benoit

Silvia Benoit Veteran Member
    Registered

To think most of us are the result of public schools........when they were excellente....in USA orin other countries.

10. John Brunner

Or maybe most of us are the result of a more ethical society in general, and the education system merely instructed us in specific subject matter and kept their fingers out of the rest of our lives. It's not what the education system did, it's what it didn't do.

11. Jeff Elohim

Registered

I do not see excellent, nor even good results, from public schools here or anywhere.

12. Jeff Elohim

Registered

We do.
    If manufacturers made items as they could, to naturally bio-degrade in a few months to six years most, paper and plastic bags would not be a problem at all.
    Instead, they made plastic from petroleum or other sin-thetic ways, such that small particles of plastic thrown away twenty years ago are now in the stomachs of people, birds, lions, elephants, whales, fish, moray eels, etc etc etc (every fish in the sea has plastic in their stomach according to reports years ago).
    Greed, and its repercussions.

13. John Brunner

I seriously doubt that such a thing is true. Perhaps some random analysis was done at a molecular level...

14. Jeff Elohim

Registered

A little research shows that it is actually far far worse .

15. John Brunner

Every fish in every ocean everywhere?????