The Cashier At Checkout

Discussion in 'Shopping & Sales' started by Ed Wilson, Nov 11, 2020.

1. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

Some are blah and some are really friendly and full of sunshine. I ran across one yesterday at Aldi's and she was the most friendly and cheerful I have encountered in a long time. She made my day.

2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Yeh, a cheerful worker can sure make your day.

I once had a cashier at my local Food Lion when I first moved here who literally scanned an item, looked at the text chat she was engaged in (typing as required), scanned an item, looked at the phone, etc.

I've worked retail. I loathe sloth (not the 3 toed critter, the quality that exists in some humans.)

Terry Coywin likes this.
  3. Teresa Levitt

Teresa Levitt Veteran Member
    Registered

that's good news....and it goes both ways...a cashier that was checking us out was almost in tears because of the previous customer that was enraged over a price...had her to take it off...accused her of stealing...called her name...disgusting

4. Peter Renfro

Peter Renfro Veteran Member
    Registered

We have bring your own bag in NY. Cashiers today haven't a clue as how to bag. one of my first jobs was a bag boy. Those ole blue haired ladies would straighten you up in a heart beat if you got careless. Beer went in the bottom of the bag in case she ran into the preacher.. Always double bag the chemicals!

5. John Brunner

I've been on the receiving end of that crap years ago (actually told one guy to go talk to the manager if he didn't like the way I did things), and hear similar stories when I shop, Teresa.

Not long ago, I was chatting with a couple of women (who are our age) at Kroeger, still working to survive. The things that are said to them infuriate me.

6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

I have seen people being pretty rude to store employees over the mask requirements, too. I don't usually go back to a store that requires it but it's not the fault of the employees, who would probably rather not have to wear them either. We compromise with our local grocery store by wearing a mask walking in. Once we get in, about half the customers lower their masks or take them off, then put them up again when it's time to check out, although I don't think anyone requires that. I still do most of my shopping in the smaller stores that don't even require that, and where the employees aren't even wearing them. Nevertheless, it's not the fault of cashier or whoever they might put at the door.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  7. John Brunner

In Charlottesville ("A Welcoming City"), it's the cool hip tolerant people handing out the crap to the elderly.

If there aren't enough clean carts at the ready, the old women get beat up.
    If the hipsters see someone not wearing a mask, the old women get beat up.

These are not anti-maskers giving grief, it's the diverse little Hitlers who call everyone else "Nazis."

But that's how it's always been.
    Any time you gotta put up signs declaring how welcoming you are, you're unintentionally admitting the opposite.

8. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

You're so right @Ed Wilson - here's a smile for you today :)

Terry Coywin likes this.
  9. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

I find most checkout people to be friendly if you are polite and friendly to them. They almost act surprised when you are.

10. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

I think in general, small towns have friendlier people because they are not subjected to overcrowding. Big city people have be pushy and rude to get bye. My sister-in-law experienced that while working part time. Some lady from New York was making a fuss over shoes for her kid and left shoes scattered all over and got mouthy because she couldn't find what she wanted.

11. Peter Renfro

Peter Renfro Veteran Member
    Registered

How did she know that NY was her home?

12. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

Probably because she was so obnoxious. :D:D:D:D

Ken Anderson and Beth Gallagher like this.