Television - Roku & Similar Devices

Discussion in 'Movies & Entertainment' started by Ken Anderson, Jan 22, 2015.

1. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

I am enjoying this streaming device and it's made my TV viewing more enjoyable.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  2. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

Never heard of it.

3. Maggie Mae

Maggie Mae Veteran Member
    Registered

Do you need special equipment or a special tv for Roku? I seem to recall someone saying everything is a day later being shown .. is that correct or did I misunderstand? What channels can you get ?

4. Ken N Louis

Ken N Louis Veteran Member
    Registered

I have botfh Roku and Amazon Fire stick. I mainly use Fire Stick.

5. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I use a smart TV that includes Roku. Before that, I had a series of Rokus. I also have an Amazon Fire Stick but, for whatever reason, it spent all of its time buffering so I went back to the Roku, which didn't do that. Although most everything we have here is Apple, I've never tried the Apple product because I haven't heard much good about it, and it doesn't offer anything I can't get through Roku anyhow.

6. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I have tried Roku at other places and didn't like it much. Our ISP is trying to get everyone to switch to Roku, but I am resisting. As my brother once told me (He lives in civilization), "I have 167 channels but I only watch four." I am in the same boat. I watch a lot of TV in the winter darkness, but usually I watch PBS and the retro channels.

7. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

We have Roku now, as well as Chromecast and our Blu-Ray DVD Player is hooked up to the Internet and we can get a few things on it. We watched a movie on Roku, but there were short commercials all thru it. We are always looking for good movies to watch, but it seems like any good ones have to be paid for. We do have the Wrangler Network on our Roku, so we can watch highlights of rodeos and the National Finals in Vegas in Dec.. For us, that will be really nice.

8. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

Never heard of it, and like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Smart Phones, Laptops, Tablets, Wi-Fi, and those so-called Apps, I don't need 'em.

Email is all anyone really needs...everything else is Fluff !

Hal

Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
  9. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

Hal you are like me with all my computer use I do not have time for TV

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  10. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

Oh...I didn't even know this thing was for TV!
    Hal

11. Emma Smith

Emma Smith Veteran Member
    Registered

I bought a Roku several years ago. They took $1 out of my account and called it a service fee. I had it put back, but really don't like companies helping themselves to my money, not even one dollar.

OT
    Streaming in general is disappointing to me. I've tried several things and don't like the way they work, too many commercials or not interesting content. I need something that streams full local tv. Something else they do - show a station, but they actually only have access to a handful of reruns. Misleading.

Most movies displayed on streaming sites reminds me of Blockbuster without the good wall.

12. Lulu Moppet

Lulu Moppet Veteran Member
    Registered

Yes. Use it mainly for Netflix, Amazon Prime, Youtube and the premium channels not in my cable set-up.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  13. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes, we have a couple of Rokus in bedrooms that don't have cable boxes. They don't get much use unless the grandkids are visiting.

We can get Netflix via our Xfinity cable service now so no need for a separate streaming device.

14. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

I'll take it back, I have heard of Roku. I don't have it. I have Apple tv and Netflix.
    Netflix costs me $7.99 a month. Had it for years. If you counted how much I have paid and devided that by
    movies and documentaries I have watched, each would cost between twenty-five and thirty dollars.
    I know, its my fault, its right there on Netflix to watch. But so what. The wife likes to have netflix and we may
    watch two maybe three this year. If you've got it and like it, glory be.

A recalculation of Netflix goes to show that movies and documentaries only cost this household between
    nineteen and twenty dollars each. We're a wasteful bunch.

Don Alaska likes this.
  15. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

If you have Amazon Prime, then you have all of the free Amazon movies that you can watch, @Bill Boggs , and it won’t cost you a penny more than it does right now. We totally cancelled our Netflix because Bobby said that he was not even watching it anymore.

Don Alaska likes this.