Stupid Shopping Decisions Or Choices

Discussion in 'Shopping & Sales' started by Ken Anderson, Mar 28, 2021.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I thought I'd make a generic name for this thread so that it can be used for other shopping choices you might come across, or which you may have done that strikes you (now) as being somewhat less than wise.

I was looking for a new backpack because I hope to spend some time camping this summer, while I am still healthy enough to do that, and the only backpack I have is a very small one that I used for day hikes, carrying water, snacks, a roll of toilet paper, and so on. I used to have a nice, large backpack that I know I wouldn't have thrown away, but either it disappeared or it's up in the attic, which is about the same thing as disappearing.

I didn't want to spend a lot of money on one because it's not like I am likely to spend the next twenty years using it on a regular basis. The one I was looking at - and bought - cost $49.99 new, which is awfully cheap and it will probably fall apart on me before the summer is over, but it had good reviews. Time will tell whether that will prove to be a stupid shopping decision, but what struck me as immediately stupid is that there are two of the same packs offered for sale used, one at $41.04 and the other at $52.99.

Who is going to spend $52.99 to buy the thing used when they can buy it new for $3 less? Even at $41.04, why would someone buy a used one when a new one costs only a few dollars more? I come across that sort of thing often on Amazon, and sometimes the used ones are only a couple of dollars less, if that, but you have to pay for shipping, whereas shipping is free for the new one.

2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I seem to excel at stupid shopping decisions. Shortly before my chemo treatments began, I decided I needed a new tote bag to carry all my "stuff" to treatment (blanket, phone charger, water, etc.) So I ordered a leather tote bag from Amazon and it's really nice. Of course I should have waited to find out that the chemo facility PROVIDES blankets, phone chargers, water (or any drink), snacks, etc. so I don't carry anything with me other than my handbag. :rolleyes: The leather tote was pricey and I waited too long to realize it wasn't going to get used, and the return period has expired. So now I have a tote bag and no use for it.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2021
  3. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Perhaps the used ones were good quality and the new ones are Chinese knock-offs?

4. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Hopefully, you will have a use for it after you have recovered.

John Brunner and Beth Gallagher like this.
  5. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I'll probably end up giving it to one of my daughters; they like giant purses to lug their entire lives around. :D

Don Alaska likes this.
  6. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Sell on Nextdoor or Craigslist maybe

7. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I gotta say that I often buy cheap, then regret it, then spend the money I should have spent in the first place in addition to the money I wasted on cheap. And I know it as I'm doing it. Yet I do it again. And again. And again.

The other thing I do is to buy some special cleaning tool or cleaning solution for a task that I really don't want to do, as though that special thing is gonna give me motivation. Yeh. Right. It's just another thing to gather dust.

Hedi Mitchell and Don Alaska like this.