Strong Smell Of Boot Polish In My House?

Discussion in 'Home Improvement' started by Holly Saunders, Mar 16, 2018.

1. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Holly Saunders Urethane was the first thing which came to my mind after reading your description of the pervasive odor. Glad you found the source. Getting completely rid of it will be a chore. Try to imagine those folks whose home contains Urethane insulation in the walls, and it begins to permeate the living space for one reason or another! Frank

Holly Saunders likes this.
  2. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Oh @Holly Saunders...what a mess that must be! Just remember you love that man you are so frustrated with at the moment and will go on loving him long after the mess is cleaned up and the smell gone. :)

Holly Saunders and Yvonne Smith like this.
  3. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

yes apparently that's why he had them stored there, no our sheds are not heated However after the whole of Saturday cleaning up the mess he's decided he won't store anything like that there again....yep it was the hardener that caused the whole problem and yep it did melt right through the thick plastic box it was stored in..but I've insisted if he's to store anything like that again it has to be outside and maybe wrapped in some kind of insultation during winter...

@Frank Sanoica , yes I have you to thank because given his lack of sense of smell, he could barely smell it, and thought maybe it was the electrics or something similar so he was looking for something that was overheating at first..... but I told him what you said may be causing it , and he went straight for that box, and lo and behold...there it was!..

I can still smell it even now..2 days after it was all cleared out and despite the snow, having all the window open.. so looks like you're right it may take some time to get rid of it completely. God help those people who have it as insulation, surely that must cause horrible breathing difficulties.. ?

4. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Holly Saunders "God help those people who have it as insulation, surely that must cause horrible breathing difficulties.. ?"

I believe it's use has been limited lately, perhaps banned in some jurisdictions.
    Frank

5. Holly Saunders

Registered

I jolly well hope so...I just can't imagine having that as insulation

6. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

7. Holly Saunders

Registered

I'm better than I was @Von Jones , thanks for asking ... although the smell is still lingering somewhat despite all the windows been open since last weekend ..I've had to use my inhalers more often than ever this week..

8. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

Maybe there is something that can help eliminate the smell now that won't aggravate your breathing.

9. Holly Saunders

Registered

I'm not sure there is tbh Von... aside from fresh air...

10. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

Maybe some baking soda which is known for absorbing oders. My craft room began to smell musty so I took some very fragrant liquid laundry detergent that my sister likes and poured some into a small vase and set it on a shelf and the mustiness has gone away and I love the fragrance of it. I didn't have any baking soda but I like the liquid laundry detergent better.

Holly Saunders and Frank Sanoica like this.