Stranger Things

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Ken Anderson, Jul 17, 2016.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

A new Netflix original series, called Stranger Things looks like it's going to be excellent. I'm only on episode 2 so far, but it seems like a mix of something you might see from Stephen Spielberg and Stephen King. The character development is very good. The story centers around a group of boys in the 1980s, I think. One of the boys disappears on the way home on his bicycle one night. While his friends are looking for him, they come across a strange girl, the same age, with her hair trimmed short. There are people in hazmat suits chasing after her, sort of like in ET. She recognizes a photo of the kid who went missing, so his disappearance is obviously related. One of the great things about Netflix is that they release their original series one season at a time, so you don't have to wait for the next episode.

The acting is good, and the characters are intriguing, although the only cast member I'm familiar with is Winona Ryder.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2016
    Diane Lane and K E Gordon like this.
  2. Ken Anderson

Okay, I have finished the first season, and loved it. They left an opening for a second season so I expect it will be renewed. Netflix usually renews its series at least for a second series unless it's a self-contained story intended for only one season.

Rachel Rodarte likes this.
  3. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

I started watching Ep1 but didn't get very far before falling asleep. I liked it up to the point I fell asleep. I was just too tired so I'll have to start over.

Ken Anderson and Rachel Rodarte like this.
  4. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

I saw that popping up on my screen. I might give it a look see. Right now on Netflix, I am watching Frasier re runs, one of the best sitcoms ever in my opinion, Orange is the New Black..slightly unrealistic I think, but entertaining, and watching the movie the Big Short..which thus far hasn't really gripped me, I think I might like Stranger Things. Making a Murderer is a good series, if you like a crime series, and Peaky Blinders is supposed to be good. Black Mirror was recommended to me...but it is not my thing, although interesting!

5. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

Ok, I'm not done with the season yet but I'm hooked.

6. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I can't seem to get into anything lately. All the ones people are talking about don't interest me. My daughter's always telling me "mom, you gotta watch this or that". I think I'm too restless lately but not the kind of restless where I'll go and clean out my closet.

7. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

@Chrissy Page, it sounds like you need a good comedy movie or watch some stand up comedians. Laughing just does something to you, especially if the content is really funny. Netflix has original stand up comedian shows maybe check them out.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  8. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I have watched a few of those except now I can't remember if it was Netflix or YouTube.

I love the "Hot Pockets" guy but can't think of his name...Rafferty?

I'll have to take a look on Netflix because most of the stand up I watched was on YouTube.

9. Rachel Rodarte

Rachel Rodarte Veteran Member
    Registered

Hi Ken,
    You beat me to it, we just finished watching all episodes, (my kind of sitcom), my daughter mention to me about the writing (the title) that reminded her of someone, and sure enough it of Stephen King. I told my daughter it also reminded me of ET. One of the little boy's Dustin, he was making us laugh, all are great actors. At first I thought that the little girl could be the sheriff's daughter, but she wasn't. I can't wait for the next season.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  10. Rachel Rodarte

Registered

Ken, it also had some sort of "Close encounters," the part where she put the strand of light up and goes out to get more.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  11. Rachel Rodarte

Registered

Von there is another sitcom, Grace and Frankie, it's with Jane Fonda and Lilly Tomlin, after years of being married both couples want a divorce, but the what happen after the divorce I as like, "no way," if you like me to tell what happens let me know.
    There is also a good movie the Fundamentals of caring it has it's funny parts

12. Ken Anderson

That was Stephen Spielberg too, wasn't it?

13. Rachel Rodarte

Registered

Hi Ken,

Yes it was, I wish they would have had a final ending on the Close Encounter of the 3rd kind. Did he ever come back, what happen to the people that returned, I would had been interesting to see how much their life's have change, and if they found any relatives.

14. Tim Burr

Tim Burr Veteran Member
    Registered

Doing a marathon binge of some newer stuff. 'Stranger Things' and 'Last Kingdom'.
    Liking both, but the Last Kingdom does a pretty good job staying true to the books.
    9 books in the 'Saxon' series and a new book due out this October. Back at it...

15. Tim Burr

Tim Burr Veteran Member
    Registered

I haven't anticipated a TV show return since the 'Vikings' series.
    Looking forward to season 2 of this one.

Starts October 27th on Netflix

Can't help but draw similarities to 'The Body' by King.
    Having kids as the main characters, helps to make it watchable.
    My favorite line in 'Stand by Me' happens at the beginning when the
    writers states, " I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve.
    Jesus, does anyone ? "

That always takes me back to the time we lived in the panhandle of Florida and the guys I ran with.

Hoping that the new season is as good as season one.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
    Ken Anderson likes this.