Stay At Home Mom's

Discussion in 'Not Sure Where it Goes' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Mar 21, 2017.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

How much salary would a husband/father have to make to allow his wife to be a stay-at-home-mom? Hours put in each week?

2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I think that might be a question with a lot of variability in the correct answer. A lot of it would depend on where the family lives, how many debts and payments they have, and also how many children and how old they are. Lifestyle would be another variability.
    The answer to your question would be a lot different for a middle class family living in an expensive area, with a nice house and new cars, than it would for a low-income family who live in the country and can grow a lot of their own food.
    Another factor would be whether the mom can work from home while she is being the stay-at-home mother. If she has a job of any kind that she can do and supplement the income, then the husband would not need to have as much income.
    I have a friend who is a single mom, and she does hospital medical transcriptions at home on her computer, and she does just fine raising her two boys all on her own. So, if she also had a working husband, they could be living on a really good income.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  3. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Just what I was going to say too @Yvonne Smith . I mean how long exactly IS a piece of string.

for example Cody....here in the UK I live in one of the most expensive areas of the UK...where property prices are high..for example a small 3 bed semi detached house average cost is approx £400,000 and that is in the rural shires.... a 5 or 6 bed here, can and does cost anywhere between 1 or 2 million, and that's only with about 1/2 an acre of land.. ...and in the City just 20 miles away a tiny 3 bed apartment without any land can cost anywhere up to a million... and beyond
    So mortgages, rents and general cost of living are very high here where I live , so if only one person was bringing home the bacon...it better be most of the Pig... :eek:

Hedi Mitchell and Yvonne Smith like this.
  4. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

I was looking for an average.

I've never known any married "stay at home moms" and I wasn't talking about single or divorced ones.

I know there can be a difference between a "stay at home mom" for a baby, where the mom would have to be home all day and one where the child or children are in school and the mom could work a job.

I also think, but not sure, that there are moms that never work and the husband completely takes care of all the income.

Perhaps I've watched to many Father Knows Best and Leave It To Beaver tv shows.

5. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Consider how much childcare would cost...how much and how far to drive...expense of clothes lunches...these type of yhings add up quickly. Child care costs alot in many areas and one if many reasons some perfer to stay at home. And then yes how much debt do you have...its a balancing out type of thing.

6. Yvonne Smith

Well, @Cody Fousnaugh , as far as I know, Melania Trump is a stay-at-home mom, if that helps you out...........

7. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Oh please...she probably has a nanny do all the mother stuff

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  8. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Ok, but, does anyone know, on the average, to make a mortgage on a descent house, groceries, gas and the other necessities, how much a man's salary would have to be?

Of course, years upon years ago, when had was 28 cents a gallon, a salary wouldn't have to be nearly as much as today.

I think a man would need to have a really good (high) salary today.

Chrissy Cross was a "stay at home mom" and wife and, from what I understand, her husband had one of those "very nice paying" jobs.

9. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Still looking for a salary amount.

10. Yvonne Smith

I was just giving @Cody Fousnaugh a bad time, and he knows that it was not a serious remark. I was chuckling as I wrote that one.....

I think that there is no way to have a salary amount, Cody. It all depends on the person's lifestyle how much money they need to live, regardless of how many people are working.
    If the family is used to living on $35k per year, then that is what the husband needs to earn, and if they are used to living on $100k per year, then he needs to earn that much. It all comes down to lifestyle, and not how many people are working. They can save some money if they can eliminate the wife's vehicle expenses, and clothing needed for work, plus cost of childcare. In many cases, if the wife has a low-paying job, she only makes a little more than she has to pay out for those expenses; so her working is doing very little to help support the family when you run the figures between income and expenses.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  11. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

https://www.growingslower.com/how-to-afford-to-be-stay-at-home-mom/

@Cody Fousnaugh I deliberately skipped posting in this tread the first time around as I feel very strongly about this subject. Children are miracles and blessings from God...and if He blesses you with them, they are yours to nurture and raise for the majority of their lives. This is a responsibility I believe God gives all parents.

So in my opinion a stay at home Mom or Dad is not an option...but a necessity for the children that are born to them. And there is no set salary for this to happen. Each couple has to decide for themselves how they will work this out whether it is by living a simple and less expensive life while the children are babies, etc. so they are able to have one parent stay home with their babies.

Each couple decides how they are going to work this out and do what is best for their children. No Mom should have to leave her children with others to raise when she wants to be exactly what God called her to be...their Mom. And what God blesses you with, He will also make provision for.

Janice Martin likes this.
  12. Thank you Babs, for saying what I would've said so I didn't have to!!!!!

Babs Hunt likes this.
  13. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't remember what he made in the 70's and 80's but it was enough that I could stay home.

14. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

This may be ideal but not realistic, there are many parents who both have to work to make ends meet.

If you have children, not only do you have to love them but also feed and clothe and put a roof over their heads.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
    Yvonne Smith likes this.
  15. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

This is where we differ in opinion @Chrissy Cross and while I respect yours...I do not agree with it.

The parent who stays home to nurture and raise the children...is working. And if there is something they can do from home which does not take the priority of raising the children away, then in my opinion that is fine. I also have no problem with anyone working outside the home during the children's school hours. If you are going to have children in my opinion then the priority of nurturing and raising them belong to the parents, not to Daycare and not even to relatives, etc.

I know there are single parents who have no choice but to do what they have to do to take care of their children, and there are even parents who would not be happy staying home full time with their children. But any parent who really wants to be a stay at home parent...can be. God will make a way for their heart's desire in this because it is God's desire too that those He blesses with children nurture and raise them.