Spent The Day Fishing

Discussion in 'Sports & Recreation' started by Don Alaska, Jul 6, 2021.

1. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Went fishing today with two sons and two grandsons. The ladies did concrete leaves for fountains and such. only one grandson caught a salmon, but it was a good day on the river with my boys and their boys. It was the grandson's first king salmon--a big day in an Alaska boy's life.

2. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

We haven't done any rainbow trout fishing on local lake yet, but are planning on it. Wife will have to call-in sick for a day during the week, because weekends here are an absolute mess getting a boat out on the lake, let along retrieving it at the boat ramp.

Marie Mallery and Don Alaska like this.
  3. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

So you don't have to be sick to call in sick...interesting characteristic

4. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

We need to take our jon boat down the river soon. Although I'd rather go down the StJohns or intercoastal instead hubby likes the rivers.I get tired of the woods and swamps though.I think they are pretty and like the wildlife but also like civilization now and then.Its been about 7months since we took boat out.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2021
    John Brunner likes this.
  5. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

No boats or fishing for me anymore, but I sure enjoy photos and stories about it. Even though I was only 10 when I was in Alaska for the summer, I can visualize the scenery and excitement of your grandson's first fish. The only fish I caught in Alaska that summer was a little Grayling. All the others in our party reeled in 3 foot long Pike after exhausting battles. I snagged one but it got under a log and broke my line.

Don Alaska and Marie Mallery like this.
  6. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

You talking about the same St. Johns River that goes thru Jacksonville, FL.?

Marie Mallery likes this.
  7. Marie Mallery

Registered

Thats the one but maybe not in Jax but further down around Green Cove Springs or St.Augustine maybe. Or some canals along the coastline ,not sure.I'm just going nuts and depressed here in the woods,which I like it when we can get out sometimes.

Don Alaska likes this.
  8. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

The cuddy cabin boat we have here in Colorado now, is the same one that we bought when we lived in Jacksonville. When we lived there, we use to go on the St. Johns River, right across from Jacksonville Naval Air Station. About the only place we went on that river was to Jax Landing for lunch. We never fished on the river, but did run into quite a number of blue crab trap markers and large patches of green algae. Only went on the intercoastal once and that was by Daytona Beach. Took two Coast Guard Aux. Boating Classes, but still couldn't figure out the different buoys and markers we seen. And, had to figure tide times to launch our boat.

In fact, we had three saltwater rods/reels and an entire tackle box of saltwater gear that we never once used in 10 1/2 years living there. Sold the rods/reels and gave away all of the tackle box.

9. Marie Mallery

Registered

Our first boat was a Larson cudy cabin had lots of good times on that boat.Took grandkis,out alot,now they are grown and busy.

10. Marie Mallery

Registered

I hear Alaska is beautiful in the summer. I'm sure it is all year.
    Faye do you like to fish?

11. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

We got our cuddy cabin back from being "summerized" this past May, but still haven't been able to get it on the water yet. When we lived in Colorado before, didn't have a problem taking it out on weekends, but there are many, many more folks with boats now and we are some 12 years older now. Age means slower at launching/retrieving that some folks at the ramp don't like. Patience isn't one of their pluses. So, wife will have to take a day off during the week.

We may get some trout fishing in before boating season is over, but we'd sure have to hurry. Last year, our first winter snow happened in September, but that is very, very unusual. Didn't get that cold, so we were able to take it out once in October before taking it in to be "winterized".

12. Marie Mallery

Registered

Hope yall get to take it out before it gets too cold. Its the first step that gets us out.I keep planning but thats all just planning. Its been a year since we went to beach or down the river in the boat.

13. Marie Mallery

Registered

We took this one about 3 years ago ,We were both surprised the turtles didn't jump in the water before we could shot the pic.I think I put it up here before,

[​IMG]

Our darling Becky last boat ride on our jon boat
    [​IMG]

Faye Fox likes this.