Speed Bumps

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Dec 14, 2018.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

They are in many strip-mall parking lots and inside many apt. complexes. If people would slow down, which would never/ever happen here, there would be no need for them. Actually, since our living room and front door faces the main drive for "in and out" of our complex, with two speed bumps, we've seen drivers completely ignore the bumps and go flying over them.

Like already stated...….if people would simply slow down, there would be no need for them. Unfortunately...…..

2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

There are a few around here but not many, at least not where I go.

Mostly in shopping plazas.

3. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

yes there are a few around here too..not my road but in high traffic areas, mainly where schools are....

4. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Fresno is a grid so you can avoid school areas and still get to your destination. Many street choices.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  5. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I hate speed bumps , too; but when they are not real tall, it is not quite as bad. I think that most large parking lots (like at shopping centers/malls) do have them,
    When we had the little car that was such a low clearance, we had to really crawl over the speed bumps, and I tried to drive around them whenever I could .
    Now, we have Robin’s 4x4 pickup with lots of clearance, but they are still a nuisance.

Our street is a fairly quiet residential street, but we have speed bumps on it here and there, and one is right in front of our house; so we see those people who just blast down the street and fly over the speed bump.
    Sometimes, Bobby and I just shake our head and wonder how their vehicle even survives the heavy crash when it comes back down after crossing the speed bump.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  6. Chrissy Cross

Registered

There aren't any speed bumps in my subdivision and the speed limit is 25.

7. Beatrice Taylor

Beatrice Taylor Veteran Member
    Registered

8. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

9. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

I hate them. They seem to only hinder the folks that already drive slowly. Serious speeders ignore them, and in fact seem to enjoy being momentarily airborne while driving.

A few years back, there was some extra money in the city budget and a neighborhood political coalition voted to put them all over our neighborhood. I voted no.

I wish someone would do a study about the wear and tear on springs and shocks on cars forced to maneuver numerous speed bumps 365 days a year. I've learned to hit them at an angle. Less bouncing that way. I go zig-zagging down the street sometimes. lol

10. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

When going over speed bumps, a vehicle had better have mighty good shocks. You'll definitely feel it if the shocks aren't that good.

11. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

12. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Well, if the younger generation would slow down, there would be no need for them. But, where we live, people drive like their at Daytona Speedway. They are late for work or something and don't even think about kids living in our complex.

Nancy Hart likes this.
  13. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

Part of this is probably related to the “everything is disposable” viewpoint that is prevelant in everything nowdays. I remember when I was growing up, my folks had the same old Buick Special for many years, and they planned on keeping it until it totally was unrepairable for some reason. They were careful where they drove and how they drove, and did all of the necessary maintainence.
    Now, people expect to trade their car in well before it is worn out; so the ethic of taking careful care of it is not as prevalent, if it exists at all.

On our street, it is mostly druggies and dealers, and they don’t care about anything including their vehicle (or their health). It is just a matter of getting to the next delivery as fast as possible.

Bobby Cole and Nancy Hart like this.
  14. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Don't even want to know how fast the UPS and FedX trucks go over our speed bumps. FedX truck just came thru and, when he hit the speed bump, it sounded like, if he had any breakable items/packages in the truck, they were all history. I could hear him go over the bump and I thought "WOW, the dude is going pretty fast thru an apartment complex!"

15. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

Fayetteville, North Carolina used to have speed bumps on some of its residential streets. They removed them while I was living there because someone filed and won a lawsuit against the city for damages to his car after hitting one of them at what he said was the posted speed limit.

Bobby Cole likes this.