So, With All Going On, When Will Diet Improve Enough?

Discussion in 'Diets & Dieting' started by Jeff Elohim, Dec 12, 2020.

1. Jeff Elohim

Jeff Elohim Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

With all that is possible through diet changes, nutritionally, for health progress and protection,

when will more people both find out how to improve their diet, AND will they be able to do so ?

For that matter, will they be willing to ?

2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I think that most of us are able to make the important changes, and the “being willing to” is probably what stops most of us from doing the things that will help our health.
    We have been raised to think of food as something to enjoy, not something to nourish our body and keep us alive. So if we have a choice between a slice of cake and a dish of steamed turnips, we choose the cake, even though we know it is not healthy for us.

I remember , years ago, a friend saying that when she got old, she was going to sit in her ricking chair, eat chocolate chip cookies and not worry about what she ate.
    Well, now, I am at that rocking chair age, but it is still important to not just sit around and eat cookies.

Jeff Elohim likes this.
  3. Steve North

Steve North Supreme Member
    Registered

Basically it isn't the will power that is stopping us but the won't power which seems more powerful than the will power..
    We all want to do this and that but, do we really do it..
    As far as diets goes, generally they don't work for long time..
    What works is a food plan like low carb which is more of a way of life rather than a diet..
    I have been on low carb for years and am still on it, however I am now on maintenance because I have reached my goal weight.. I lost some pounds on low carb but it didn't happen overnight..
    There is NO WAY I will ever go back to eating like I used to.. I have a food plan that works perfectly and I am sticking to my plan....

4. Jeff Elohim

Registered

Amen!

When people find a "food plan" or "diet" or "way of lie" that eliminates troubles everyone else suffers from ,

they do well to continue that way.

That was how groups avoided the black plague, smallpox, zyka or malaria or dozens of other types illness and sicknesses and health troubles .... and how old people who never knew can now find out and recover from what ails them 10% to 100% of the time. (varies with time, place, damages already done, availability of food and information needed, and so on; and , negatively, how many air borne, water borne, and food borne toxins they continue to be affected by) .....

And yes, if they are willing, and search....

5. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

I had a friend, back in the mid 80's, that lost some 30 pounds on Weight Watchers. After her plan was over and/or she couldn't afford it anymore, one emotional incident happened in her life and she gained the 30 pounds back and a little more. Actually, I didn't think she looked that heavy in the first place, but then again, I've always liked a more "pleasingly plump" woman.

As for wife and I, there are just too many things we like to eat that are definitely NOT on a weight-loss plan.

6. Jeff Elohim

Registered

Did she give herself diabetes? Arthritis? Headaches? A skin condition? HBP? Constipation? Haert Problems?

7. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Don't know, but it was very visible that she had gained the weight back.

From what I understand, anyone who gets on a diet plan, like Weight Watchers or Nutri-System, has to stay on the plan the rest of their lives. These diet plans do have an "extended plan for life" that can be purchased. Other than that, a person has to have almost the same type of foods that are in the plans.

8. Jeff Elohim

Registered

What plan works best for everyone who manages it ?

9. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't plan to change anything about my diet. My weight has always been good and my eating habits and diet is excellent.

10. Jeff Elohim

Registered

The main reason people change their dies, that I know of, besides to lose (or gain) weight,
    is because they get diabetes from there died, whether they thought it "was always good" or not.

Books have been available since before whenever on how to prevent and how to reverse diabetes in many cases by diet changes alone.... (a change of life style helps)...

It was amazing how many family members also changed their diets when someone in their household got sick... and they all saw obvious improvements in health even if they were not sick before.

11. Steve North

Steve North Supreme Member
    Registered

My wife was on 4 insulin needles a day for diabetes.. After some time on low carb, she is now on.... NOTHING...
    Her blood sugar is really normal without any medication..

At one point in my life, I weighed 358 pounds.. Now that is really big, and I wasn't healthy or happy with my life style..
    I went on low carb, and today I weigh just under 200 pounds.. You can work It out the weight I lost..
    About 160 pounds..
    Low carb is a food plan and I can't say I am deprived of any food at all.. It isn't a diet !!! Diets work only as long as you are on it but as soon as you leave it, you gain back all the weight plus more.. Food plans are for life but they work.. Naturally once you have reached your goal like me, there are less restrictions, but there are still some "logical" restrictions.. I am not on a restricted amount of carbs, just a logical amount.. I am on maintenance..
    Low carb isn't for everyone.. Only for those that want to have a healthier way of life and lose some unwanted pounds..