Smartphone Addiction

Discussion in 'Science & Nature' started by Martin Alonzo, Sep 1, 2018.

1. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

I am always cautious about technology we all enjoy it and of course I could not be on this forum without it. The biggest problem is when it is no longer available. I have seen parents so upset at their children for viewing things on the internet that the parents took away their ability to connect to the internet. This withdrawal the child needed therapy. It is terrible when you think these advances are a necessity. In the last week there was a black out with the Xbox which caused a lot of people to get very upset.

Watch any natural disaster and you will see many people totally confused and lost not only needing help but therapy to get over it. What would happen if the internet went down and wifi /bluetube no longer worked the thought of that would scare 90% of the teen agers?
    Also I hope we don’t get so addicted that the future holds implanted phones via chips in the brain
    So we can stay connected. 666

2. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Glad you are back, @Thomas Stearn. I hadn't seen you post for a while.

Thomas Stearn likes this.
  3. Neville Telen

Neville Telen Veteran Member
    Registered

This video was an excellent find that condenses all the research I've done into its essence, although it did skip over the privacy invasion of having Big Bro in your pocket, but I suspect only them living under a rock are not already well aware of that aspect. Good job!

4. Neville Telen

Neville Telen Veteran Member
    Registered

That's where it's headed, and you can bet the minute it hits the market, the braindeads will be camped out in front of their tech store to be the first on the block to get Cyborged!

https://www.collective-evolution.co...nge-the-essence-of-what-it-means-to-be-human/

Martin Alonzo and Bobby Cole like this.
  5. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

ZOMBIE SMARTPHONE APOCALYPSE

Bobby Cole likes this.
  6. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

I went off on my grandson the other day because I asked him to do something and instead of doing it he continued to reach for his phone first. He couldn't understand why I was angry. Well once we got home I lit into him about it and told him the next time I tell him to do something don't have me wait again, EVER!

Bobby Cole and Martin Alonzo like this.
  7. Jim Nash

Jim Nash Veteran Member
    Registered

I find the insularity that the smartphone encourages is disturbing. It probably stops people questioning the political ills of our countries, a bit like the cheap gin of the seventeenth century but they could also orchestrate riots. I hate people bumping into me and the endless inane conversations on busses, but I am old and if I was twenty it would be me yapping away.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  8. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I was watching Trump speaking on television today. He was addressing the crowd in Washington DC at the parade. In between, aircraft from various branches of the military were flying overhead. One thing that I noticed was that hardly anyone was actually paying attention to what he said or even watching the air show. Instead, they were all filming it on their smartphones. I noticed the same thing last summer when we were at an airshow put on the Blue Angels and some other flying groups, and I started to do the same thing before I realized that I wasn't even watching the airshow while I was filming it, at least not in the way that I could watch and appreciate it if I were to put the damned phone away and experience it.

Hardly anyone was looking at the stage, or at the air show. They were looking at their smartphones.

Rather than experiencing anything today, people are more interested in producing a bit of video that they can add to their Facebook pages to say, "Look at where I was!" In order to see whatever it is that they were filming, they will have to watch the video that they made, and then they may as well have stayed home and watched it on television, where the cameras most likely had a better vantage point anyhow.

9. Thomas Stearn

Thomas Stearn Veteran Member
    Registered

Because that's what matters and it shouldn't really surprise us. It's one of the results of the inexorable trend to social sharing and self-staging in our attention economy.

10. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

I've never had a smart phone. My phone is good for only making phone calls We both have trouble hearing on it.
    I use it only when I go out, to have for any emergency. That's all its good for. We have two land lines with volume
    controls. But I have a Mac computer and an iPad. I'm probably addicted to this means of communication. I view
    my tv as an alien object which my wfe uses. It would be difficult to do with out a computer and I would miss it and
    all that would happen is I would slowly go crazy.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
  11. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

I don't usually do my regular computer stuff on the phone, but my phone is also my flashlight, alarm clock, weather info, banking (LOVE mobile check depositing) and camera. I really find it useful in so many ways.