Shotgun As Self Defense Means

Discussion in 'Guns & Weapons' started by Frank Sanoica, Oct 19, 2019.

1. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Shirley Martin

Now, what will the operation look like if a GOOD guy breaks in?
    Frank

2. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Ken Anderson

Bullet penetration of walls and such is always discussed in self defense, with the small-caliber, low-power guys always citing more safety to other occupants, even neighbors. The macho guys want "knock-down", end the event quickly, worry about incidentals later. This goes 'round and 'round; one must make their own decision, then stick to it. I personally cannot imagine getting close enough to an intruder to try to use a stun gun, or even spend time conversing. Such crap is limited to the TV cops. Invariably a cop and criminal wind up facing each other, each pointing a handgun at the other, then they talk........such nonsense is a tribute to the gullibility of the viewing public. The reality is the instant two guns face one another, one will fire first, or possibly both at once. Showing this scenario over and over is an absolute dis-service to the watcher.
    Frank

Ken Anderson likes this.
  3. Lois Winters

Lois Winters Veteran Member
    Registered

Why would a good guy break into your house? Just ring the door bell or knock.

4. Lois Winters

Registered

I was a cop for several years when I took a break from nursing and my son was going to school. Worked closer to home. My chief always told us to use a sawed off shot gun for self defense and home defense. Of course it is illegal, but I'd be willing to let a jury figure it out here in NJ.

5. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

I once read that a long barreled weapon could possibly be grabbed and pushed to the side by an intruder, plus a long barrel might be at a disadvantage in a hallway or any enclosed area.

Lois Winters likes this.
  6. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

I had a 410 pump, five shot, sawed off to 18 inches, the legal limit in Texas, when I moved to Oklahma. It was not legal in Oklahoma. I gave it to a brother in law who gave it to his wife, my sister in law. I haven't had a weapon since. I sometime wish I had a weapon here at the house. But I'm getting long of tooth.I sold my car because it was time to give up driving, and if I had a gun I'd probably be afraid I'd shoot someone I didn't want to shoot, therefore no gun. Age and health issues are closing in on me.

Lois Winters likes this.
  7. Lois Winters

Registered

The lighter sawed off shotgun can be held by your side and easily swung up and shot with one fell swoop. Takes practice, but can be done.

8. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

My stairway is in a direct line with my front door but, since I usually keep the shotgun in my office downstairs, that wouldn't help a lot.

Lois Winters likes this.
  9. Peter Renfro

Peter Renfro Veteran Member
    Registered

I have a 20" barrel eight shot mossberg 20 Gauge. For a while I kept the pistol grip on it,but I never could get used to it and 20 ft. I was hitting my targets between the knees and breast. Put the shoulder stock back on and it is always center mass.

Frank Sanoica and Lois Winters like this.
  10. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes it does.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  11. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

Never owned or cared to own a Scattergun.

Hal
    015 (3).jpg

12. Peter Renfro

Peter Renfro Veteran Member
    Registered

Rifle is next to useless in New York. There are areas of the state such as the Adirondacks,Twin Tiers that rifle hunting is allowed. The rest of the state is to dense, so big game hunting is restricted to shotgun. Makes a man a better woodsman. Can't stand half a mile away and take a deer. Showing my age I use a Ruger Model77 .22 Hornet for woodchuck and yote.

13. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

Beware of the man with only one gun because he knows how to use it.

14. Tony Nathanson

Tony Nathanson Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

A shotgun will do everything better than a handgun or rifle. The issue I have is limited magazine capacity & a slow reload.
    I have a custom Remington 870 with attached light & even with an extended magazine, it only holds 6. Rats run in packs these days & I'd hate to try to reload it quickly, especially in darkness.

Lois Winters and John Brunner like this.